First Australian Speckle Park sale

Help Support CattleToday:

thunder downunder

Reaction score
On Saturday the first Australian Speckle Park sale was held. It was a standout success, with bulls averaging Aus$6679 and females averaging Aus$6824.

You can view a short video from the sale here:
http://theland.farmonline.com.au/mu...rage-at-red-hot-speckle-park-sale.aspx?page=1

The hosts of the sale, Six Star Speckle Parks (also trading as Speckle Park Cattle Company) last year purchased the Canadian herd, Star Bank, and are now believed to own the largest herd of Speckles, across two continents, in the world.

They are a good herd. All my Speckled bulls are from them, and all my females are out of their bulls or directly from their herd.

Will get first hand report Friday. JT is coming to home. I will quiz him. He is one of the first to use semen here in a Xbreeding program. Sold calves for way over the top at fat sale in Vic 8 weeks ago.

Over 300 registered buyers. JT said a commission agent had orders for 6 bulls and only got one. If there were 50 extra bulls all would have sold, such was the hype and demand.

I do have to say, this first sale is like catching the wave in the first place. What happens when the wave peters out? Is it going to be like ostriches, emus and alpaca? The cattle looked great and brought good competition to the auction. They will have a place and, I for one, will keep a close eye on the breed's progress.

There was strong competition on the good bulls but I doubt another 50 would have sold in that sale.
There were a lot registered, and a lot of people there, but the majority were tyre kickers.
I was greatly impressed by a few of the females, my only concern is their size, and henceforth, raw scan data. I am in no doubt they have a place in our industry but they need to be used in cross breeding programs to produce calves that are economically profitable.
And, having tasted the meat at the official tasting day, it was fantastic!

thunder downunder":108n6nve said:
my only concern is their size

Interesting statement thunder. From what I see and understand, the speckles are a very moderate framed breed. And for that reason I like them. Do you believe them to be a little small for the Australian markets and industry?

Keren":3s89y23q said:
thunder downunder":3s89y23q said:
my only concern is their size

Interesting statement thunder. From what I see and understand, the speckles are a very moderate framed breed. And for that reason I like them. Do you believe them to be a little small for the Australian markets and industry?

Well Keren, you know I like moderate. But two year olds at 600kg, maybe a bit more? (there weren't any weights on them, so this is a guess, BUT heightwise they're barely to my b00bs! and I'm not much taller than you!) And eye muscles of 90 at 2???

hmm ... just by eyeballing them, I would have thought the ema/rea would have been bigger than that. they seem a good topped breed, from what I've seen. but I've never set a hand on them or seen any scanning data.

as far as what is 'standard' for our industry and markets, yes they probably are a little small. Will be interesting if they can target and satisfy the supermarket trade. If they can fatten early enough they would probably be ideal for that purpose.

Haha, I dont know if shorties count as moderate :p

Latest posts