Speckle Park

Help Support CattleToday:

They get fat at too light of weight, that is why the resistance. They can get big if you wait long enough.

They are going really well in Australia at the moment. I thought they were going great in Canada until i read @Heronfish comment.

They chase them here at the saleyards, kind of the reverse to docking, and the crosses too.

I've got a bull i bred from and embryo, and a young heifer also from an embryo. The bull is great, really easy to work and doesn't feel like he needs to push everything over. The heifer is the same. They are Canadian genetics. The bull is very thick but quite short and is carrying very good condition for not much feed. I've put my bull over a few cows with the first due in two months. I've been told by so many people, as @farmerjan says, the meat is fantastic and marbles really well. One guy told me once you've eaten a speckle steak you wont want anything else. He wasn't a speckle breeder either. So hoping for a bull calf i can steer and grow out and find out for myself.

They are going really well in Australia at the moment. I thought they were going great in Canada until i read @Heronfish comment.

They chase them here at the saleyards, kind of the reverse to docking, and the crosses too.

I've got a bull i bred from and embryo, and a young heifer also from an embryo. The bull is great, really easy to work and doesn't feel like he needs to push everything over. The heifer is the same. They are Canadian genetics. The bull is very thick but quite short and is carrying very good condition for not much feed. I've put my bull over a few cows with the first due in two months. I've been told by so many people, as @farmerjan says, the meat is fantastic and marbles really well. One guy told me once you've eaten a speckle steak you wont want anything else. He wasn't a speckle breeder either. So hoping for a bull calf i can steer and grow out and find out for myself.
Good for you for being open minded enough to give them a try. Send some pictures, of calves also when they arrive.

No!
Not unless you want your feelings hurt at the salebarn.
As an owner of "off-color" cattle, I certainly understand this statement. My approach has to be one of a different path because selling at the sale barn cannot be profitable in any way for me. It is literally a last resort but will happen from time to time.
The effort it takes to avoid the sale barn is a big one. Marketing plus customer service and education are requirements to have a chance of profitability and also the reasons people gravitate to the sale barn. There is no place that pays less than the salebarn but also no place that's easier to get some cash out of your hobby.

I'm glad the sale barn is there, I just can't use it much for what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts