Fencing Woods For Pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

Christopherm081

Reaction score
New to all this stuff. Question I have to veteran producers is, does it pay to fence in predominately wooded area for pasture. I live in North Central Minnesota and the only area I have left to pasture (without taking up tillable) is a forty that is about 35 acres (mostly old oaks) and 5 acres open. I know acorns in excess are poisonous but I would use this for an early spring to mid summer pasture. All I want to know is if this is worth the expense.

woods offer a lot of protection in the winter (As far as Kansas winters go). Vegetation is more readily available and cold wind is blocked.

Couple of things to consider.
I know nothing about the timberland in your area but here about 1/2 lb gain per day is all we can get if we put them in the woods.
Cows also will damage the roots of most hardwoods causing rot and also stain and if you have valuable trees it might cost you money to have them in the woods.
Also make sure there are no poision plants in your area. We have some areas here that we must be sure the cows do not get into until mid summer because of stagger weed. It will kill them quickly.

If the wooded area has not been underbrushed they should do fine, depending on what the brush is. Don't expect a high stocking rate. If the area is nothing but trees leaves and acorns then your going to have a tough time.
I like to combine wooded areas with clover fields. Cattle seem to self medicate eating some acorns to control bloat. They will browse on brush which is often times high in protein and phosphorous.
I have heard that cattle stem from forest animals. People have been grazing cattle in the woods along the Gulf Coast for as long as I can remember. I assume it is done everywhere else too. But I don't get out much.

Wooded areas are good during drought to help maintain cows. also gives you shade if you need it. Negatives are the issues already mentioned and the manure and urine that is not recycled on pasture.
I have also see pasture weeds spread into wooded areas, promarily winter annuals, and will spread back to pastures and make them hard to keep cleaned up because you can't spray the woods.

I have some area of woods fenced in to provide shade in the summer. Also it helps as a wind break during a cold winter. All the cows have done ok. Just have to watch for limbs etc... that might fall and damage the fence.

Whether its worth it or not will depend on how much you spend on the fence. I recently fenced off about 100 acres of woods using a single strand of high tensile electric fence and I felt the cost benefit of this was well in my favor. I use the woods as a safety valve in the spring or during a drought. I don't plan on using it but its nice to be able too. Never had any trouble with poisonous plants hurting cattle to my knowledge and we have plenty. I think too you will be surprised at how nutritious some of the "weeds" are at certain times of the year. Some are more nutritious than alfalfa. Key is going to be to learn how to best make use of your woods.