Golf Balls in pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

nzcoakley

Reaction score
Has anyone had a cow eat a golf ball before, our neighbor has a golf course next to our cow pasture. Should I be concerned when I see golf balls in our pasture? What would happen if a cow swallows one?

I think it is very unlikely. Being small I doubt it would cause choke and smooth it would not do much harm. It would either sit in the rumen or would pass. There could be some things in it that could be harmfull as it broke down but that would take a long time. I don't think I would get too anxious. Just go out and collect the balls and sell them back to your neighbour, might turn into a good side business.

Ken

Had a neighbor hit several in the pasture that I found and every one of them looked to be chewed on. I never lost any animals I suspected from golf balls, but I am glad he moved.

we had a neighbor break up his place into 5 acre parcels a lot of golf balls started appearing by the third house I quit throwing them back across the fence. Started using them for nest eggs. Chicken snakes started eating them on occasion. I know of no problem with my cattle.

I have a golf course about 5km away and often find golf balls around the place. I suspected the neighbors for years until one day i saw for myself a crow flying over and drop a ball. They must think they're eggs and give up trying to eat them right about the time they get over our place.

I have a golf course about 5km away and often find golf balls around the place. I suspected the neighbors for years until one day i saw for myself a crow flying over and drop a ball. They must think they're eggs and give up trying to eat them right about the time they get over our place.
Thats a birdie

Course I use to play had a pasture running along side of the first two holes . I unintentionally hit a few into the pasture over the years and wasn't motivated to go through the 6 strand barbed wire fence to retrieve them . Never saw the cows eating them . Plus I wasn't the only golfer slicing balls into that pasture. ⛳

We had a similar problem with our pool. DH accused our little kids of throwing rocks that ended up in the pol until he realized it was the crows flying overhead and dropping stones No idea why they were flying around with the rocks.