Finding pasture lease

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Other than walking up to doors and knocking, is there a "typical" place to find land for lease? I'm in Central Texas, I see tons of overgrown land, but no idea how to get in touch with owners other than going through tax rolls. Do farm lenders or Agrilife typically have lists of available properties?

It seems to be a exercise in futility in our part of the world especially if you are new to a area.. There is just not much available and its almost always spoken for from a friend or relative when someone gives a piece up. The tax rolls are just about your only source for finding ownership but if you own land, you know owners are bombarded with solicitations in the mail from"investors" wanting to buy you out. Nice tracts are held on to for years and passed down to kids. Junk tracts are over pried and not worth the effort. Hunters want the tax exemption but want their place thick with trees and brush. The CRP program is abused to include neglected junk properties. The ones you can find are to small and expensive to make the effort worth it.

I have tried a bunch of different ways to find some lease land and failed in all of them. Its moistly because I am new to the area and just don't know a lot of people or have relatives that have been in the area for many years. I have even invited owners to look at my property and compare it to the lessee they currently have that is over grazing the place and does nothing.

Keep asking around, maybe you will get lucky.

Most people I know look at land solicitors the same way they look at car dealers. and not without reason....

My business has certainly opened helped me get in gates. But still reputation is very important. If you talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk. It takes equipment, time and experience to manage multiple properties. It's not just dumping cattle.
Mainly don't give up. Don't give up, don't give up. I've gave away a half dozen leases this year because I had to many and I didn't want to do a subpar job on any. If it wasn't 200 acres or a good hayfield I handed it off to some trusted friends.. 15 years ago I was asking the same question you are now. Don't give up.

Nothing constructive to add but sympathize w you. Its difficult to find leases in my area too. Same thing - if you don't have relatives and have an "off brand" name you are nothing. And the amazing thing to me is that many existing rentals are over grazed with thistle and brush. No ones worries about just dumping cattle on those pieces or feeding over a muddy winter making a mess.

Not every area is like this. eople with money seem to have a whole different rationale. An acquaintance of mine who lives in northern Virginia has picked up multiple leases this year because is he different - NY transplant and does the regenerative ag, nature friendly thing. Previous place I lived in had a lot of smaller tracts where land owners were happy to do hay leases just for ag tax exemption.

Last edited:
Other than walking up to doors and knocking, is there a "typical" place to find land for lease? I'm in Central Texas, I see tons of overgrown land, but no idea how to get in touch with owners other than going through tax rolls. Do farm lenders or Agrilife typically have lists of available properties?
Are you married? Because if you're a younger single guy you could always romance an older widow or divorcee with land. If you're smooth talking and you pick one in the right age bracket you can have her acreage in 5 or 10 years.

I'm fooling, though a guy I know has considered accepting the affections offered to him by an older woman he knows, on the grounds that she has a good sized spread in, I believe he said, Kansas.

Biggest kicker is that my dad and his sister have ownership of their family land, 100 acres, which has been leased to cousin (deal arranged by my aunt) for at least 15 years-free lease for maintenance….My parents and I have moved back to the area, dad wanted a survey done since last survey was over 50 years ago, he and sister need to do some "official" designations before either gets into inheritance time. Eventually I'll have his portion, but I know not to ask to kick the current lessee off-that would be stupid on my part. Feelings are already apparently becoming hurt over just the survey.
I'm just looking for a small patch of dirt to feed a few steers every year. Rarer than hen's teeth.

Are you married? Because if you're a younger single guy you could always romance an older widow or divorcee with land. If you're smooth talking and you pick one in the right age bracket you can have her acreage in 5 or 10 years.

I'm fooling, though a guy I know has considered accepting the affections offered to him by an older woman he knows, on the grounds that she has a good sized spread in, I believe he said, Kansas.
I'm actually a married woman, my husband and I both work full time in town. My husband enjoys the cows, but I'm the decision-maker, procedure-doer, and processor hauler-he's more of a go-fast car guy.
This is exactly why I'm glad I'm not single.

Last edited: