Which one would you feed, liquid feed or protein tubs for bulls on pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

In East Texas, we use bermuda and bahia as our main grass. It grows from about a month after frost in the spring until a killing freeze in the fall. In the spring and early summer it is great and will get cows fat. As it gets hot and dry, the quality drops and we supplement with protein to aid in digestion. We are not fortunate enough to get by on grass and water only. The reason stockpiling either bermuda or bahia works in this area is we mow it and fertilize like for a hay cutting. It mimics spring growth. With the cooler temperatures going into the fall, the grass cell walls do not thicken as they do in summer heat to protect the plant and digestibility holds longer.

If I wanted to feed a bull or bulls I would not want to fatten them. So I would go with lower energy/fat and not overdo the protein either. The best use of feeding bulls or other animals is to get to see them , get them used to you, train them to come... So I would likely say hand feed some sort of lower fat and acceptable protein type feed if that is what you want to do.

Saturday's showers were down the road close enough you could smell it.
Was able to lay eyes on some and drive through it late Sunday afternoon. Radar even showed it was supposed to be raining here but nothing made it to the ground. Guess it was to light and evaporated before hitting the ground.

Yep, the exception to not feeding protein supplements east of the Mississippi would be in the southeast where warm season grasses dominate during the summer months, again only if needed.
"In East Texas, we use bermuda and bahia as our main grass. It grows from about a month after frost in the spring until a killing freeze in the fall. In the spring and early summer it is great and will get cows fat. As it gets hot and dry, the quality drops and we supplement with protein to aid in digestion. We are not fortunate enough to get by on grass and water only. The reason stockpiling either bermuda or bahia works in this area is we mow it and fertilize like for a hay cutting. It mimics spring growth. With the cooler temperatures going into the fall, the grass cell walls do not thicken as they do in summer heat to protect the plant and digestibility holds longer."

Latest posts