Feeding bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Took him to vet weekend before last and vet said he didn't look bad to them. He wormed him and gave him a shot of multimin but since past 6-7 days he's packed on the lbs and doesn't look anorexic anymore. I'm happy post pics this next weekend. He's really looking better.

High libido bulls with large scrotal CM can settle a cow every 7minutes! If they are working that hard they tend to not eat just heat check and breed. It's very feasible for a bull to loose 200 + lbs.
We pull our bulls in the fall. They get roughly 1.5% of there body wt cracked corn and a lb of 34% supp hd/day. Plus free choice hay. They also get a deep pack mound and a barn to lay in.
Winter gets cold enough here that a bull can freeze his testicles. Having them a little fat and bedded well is cheap insurance.

SBMF 2015 said:
High libido bulls with large scrotal CM can settle a cow every 7minutes! If they are working that hard they tend to not eat just heat check and breed. It's very feasible for a bull to loose 200 + lbs.
We pull our bulls in the fall. They get roughly 1.5% of there body wt cracked corn and a lb of 34% supp hd/day. Plus free choice hay. They also get a deep pack mound and a barn to lay in.
Winter gets cold enough here that a bull can freeze his testicles. Having them a little fat and bedded well is cheap insurance.
Thanks for that info I learned a lot a lot this breeding season I'm shortening my calving window and will put him in with cows and heifers around April first 90-120 days . Everything will have calved by April so I should be in good shape.

SBMF 2015 said:

And now I know why I get so skinny during the winter!
:lol:
But seriously, thanks for that bit of info!

SBMF 2015 said:

Good post! A small shed for the bulls is on my short list of things to do. I also didn't realize they could settle cows that fast. I would guess mine shed 200-300 pounds in a 90 day calving season. They gain it back fairly fast though

Maybe it's just the pics but still seems skinny to me? If I understand it correctly the bull was with 20 cows but most were calving or heavy bred? He wasn't doing that much work then. I can't see how it would be normal for him to lose 200-300 pounds under those conditions. Maybe I am missing something here.

chaded said:
Maybe it's just the pics but still seems skinny to me? If I understand it correctly the bull was with 20 cows but most were calving or heavy bred? He wasn't doing that much work then. I can't see how it would be normal for him to lose 200-300 pounds under those conditions. Maybe I am missing something here.
Do you not see any improvement ? And would you sale ?

MurraysMutts said:
Theres a definite improvement over b4 pics.
Cant count all his ribs anymore.
Hes got a bit to go yet tho.
Looks like a growing brangus bull to me!

I thought so as well I'm trying to be patient which as hard but as well I'm keeping a lookout on bulls on the internet just in case he doesn't pick up his weight like he should. Any reputable brangus breeders in east Tx area or north Tx.

I think Patterson Brangus has a website. I've seen some of their cows at a special sale before and looked to be good quality Brangus cattle. J&J cattle in Bryan,Tx also has nice stuff.

Lucky said:
I think Patterson Brangus has a website. I've seen some of their cows at a special sale before and looked to be good quality Brangus cattle. J&J cattle in Bryan,Tx also has nice stuff.

Yeah end of the month I'm going to Jj cattle in Bryan to buy some heifers I'll check out there bulls as well .

Bfields30 said:
Lucky said:

Yeah end of the month I'm going to Jj cattle in Bryan to buy some heifers I'll check out there bulls as well .

If I buy anymore heifers they are first on my list. Let us know how you like them.

Lucky said:
Bfields30 said:
Lucky said:

If I buy anymore heifers they are first on my list. Let us know how you like them.

Will do I'm leaning towards the white brahman and red Brahman so many diff breeds wish I could buy so many of each lol.

Latest posts