Feeding bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Does anyone take bull or bulls off cows for short period of time. My bull is kinda thin was wondering how much to feed a day was gonna pen with hay. Feed everyday wats a good amount per day lb wise. Going to worm again as well.

Bfields30 said:
Does anyone take bull or bulls off cows for short period of time. My bull is kinda thin was wondering how much to feed a day was gonna pen with hay. Feed everyday wats a good amount per day lb wise. Going to worm again as well. Had a few people say could be baby teeth losing them he just turned 3 early part of this month.

I don't. Mine has been with the cows all winter eating the same average quality hay that is not given to them free choice either.

chaded said:
I don't. Mine has been with the cows all winter eating the same average quality hay that is not given to them free choice either.

What would cause to get thin? I'm frustrated kinda want to sell bull and buy another but know I will probably take a loss.

Worm him and pen him where he can get extra. He looks like a young bull that needs a little help. Good hay and 10 lbs of feed will bring him around in 75 days or so.

We have all our bulls out of the cows by late October and they stay in a bachelor group until we turn them out on July 3. Uniformity won't be achieved if you calve year round.

Bfields30 said:
chaded said:

What would cause to get thin? I'm frustrated kinda want to sell bull and buy another but know I will probably take a loss.

I really couldn't tell you for sure. Also, I'm not an expert by any stretch but I have a pretty young bull and he's doing pretty well on just the hay the cows are eating. If I have to put him in his own pen and feed him higher quality hay and a bunch of grain then he just isn't going to be working here.

Bfields30 said:
chaded said:

Sometimes if the bull you own was purchased for above average performance you are kind of obligated to feed that performance. The trait will carry through to the progeny so you may want to market all his calves so not to create a herd of high performance, high maintenance cows.

I keep my bulls separated from the cows 9 months of the year. I'd worm him really good and feed him 15-20 pounds of good 14% feed for 60-90 days. If you don't notice a difference after 30 days it might be time to sell.

I had a group of bulls last year that looked pretty rough after pulling them off the cows. I fed them 15 #'s a day for 45 days and couldn't believe the difference. They averaged 2100# after feeding them, didn't weigh before.

chaded said:
Bfields30 said:
chaded said:

I really couldn't tell you for sure. Also, I'm not an expert by any stretch but I have a pretty young bull and he's doing pretty well on just the hay the cows are eating. If I have to put him in his own pen and feed him higher quality hay and a bunch of grain then he just isn't going to be working here.
Yeah that's what I always heard never heard of anyone having to pamper them is term I always heard

MurraysMutts said:
10 pounds of 20's twice a day for 30 to 60 days would do him some good.
How many cows he got to cover?
Have u examined his mouth?
He's on 20 but most are calving Or heavy bred so I might try to pen him this weekend and feed him. Would you suggest feed or cubes?

gcreekrch said:
Bfields30 said:
chaded said:

Sometimes if the bull you own was purchased for above average performance you are kind of obligated to feed that performance. The trait will carry through to the progeny so you may want to market all his calves so not to create a herd of high performance, high maintenance cows.

Imma pen him and feed him for 30 days and see if I see a difference. If I don't I'll sell him and find a better that can keeep condition yr round.

Bfields30 said:
MurraysMutts said:
He's on 20 but most are calving Or heavy bred so I might try to pen him this weekend and feed him. Would you suggest feed or cubes?

I wouldn't feed him cubes. Try to find a good commodity feed from a feed store. I would try to stay around 14%. It'll make him grow more and be quite a bit cheaper. If you have a place to keep a super sack you can get a ton from Sulphur Springs for around $225. One thing I do with my bulls is to put the mineral feeder, feed, trough and hay ring at different ends of their pasture to make them walk. Bulls are lazy and you want him to be big but not fat.

Bfields30 said:
MurraysMutts said:

That's what we use is 20 percent cubes. Sometimes a guys limited by what he can get at the time.
Hes probly went thru a growth spurt and been working hard trying to find something to do if everyone is bred.
I bet by 60 days hes in good shape and maybe everyone will be ready to breed by then.
Good excuse to try n tighten the ol calving schedule...

MurraysMutts said:
Bfields30 said:
MurraysMutts said:

That's what we use is 20 percent cubes.
Hes probly went thru a growth spurt and been working hard trying to find something to do if everyone is bred.
I bet by 60 days hes in good shape and maybe everyone will be ready to breed by then.
Good excuse to try n tighten the ol calving schedule...
Yessir thanks for the info really appreciate it.

Lucky said:
Bfields30 said:
MurraysMutts said:

I wouldn't feed him cubes. Try to find a good commodity feed from a feed store. I would try to stay around 14%. It'll make him grow more and be quite a bit cheaper. If you have a place to keep a super sack you can get a ton from Sulphur Springs for around $225. One thing I do with my bulls is to put the mineral feeder, feed, trough and hay ring at different ends of their pasture to make them walk. Bulls are lazy and you want him to be big but not fat.

Good advice there as well.
We are all posting at once!
Lolz

Latest posts