Farm Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

We also have a 96 F250 7.3. Been pretty good, needed glow plugs and relays, a few front end parts, vacuum pump, and a starter. Hard to find good 7.3 trucks though, and they are spendy, actually going up in value.

Wish I knew where these were going up in value at I've been trying to sell my 99 f250 7.3 4x4 here for 3 months and only had 3 calls and I feel like I have it priced fair. (I'm sure everybody says that though) haha

j_20":1qbs1ps7 said:
We also have a 96 F250 7.3. Been pretty good, needed glow plugs and relays, a few front end parts, vacuum pump, and a starter. Hard to find good 7.3 trucks though, and they are spendy, actually going up in value.

Wish I knew where these were going up in value at I've been trying to sell my 99 f250 7.3 4x4 here for 3 months and only had 3 calls and I feel like I have it priced fair. (I'm sure everybody says that though) haha

I'm sure it varies a lot by location.

You can snatch up very good older trucks near bigger cities and populated areas for almost nothing, but around here where income is relatively low, good used trucks are hard to find. I've seen a couple priced over 10k.

I love our 3/4 ton GMCs with the 6.0. Just a good using truck. Big enough to haul a good sized stock trailer, small enough to use for daily run around. My mechanic is a Dodge man, but every time I have my truck in for service, he or the others make remarks about me selling it to them. They have worked on lots of trucks, and say that the 6.0 Vortec is a great, long lasting engine. :2cents:

callmefence":3hgfyuo8 said:
hurleyjd":3hgfyuo8 said:
OldCrow":3hgfyuo8 said:
Fence,

I agree those Dodges with 5.9s were great. We have one with 278k(2006) and another with around 320k(2004). Been pretty much trouble free and they had automatics. Replaced a torque converter on one transmission around 180k and that is it on the transmissions. That being said by all accounts from others with newer trucks (< 5 years old) they won't give the same dependability without more of what the dealers call "maintenance".

It sounds like you put a lot of miles on your trucks like us so I still think the diesel is the best option. We want have to worry about age getting components as we'll get the use out of them before 10 years is up.

Personally for a farm truck I would go gas though.

How many times has the front suspension been replaced on the dodges.

I believe in the 3500 one ballpoint, a tie rod and a steering damper. We do the work ourselves including alignment so the cost is very minimal. I just let go of a 99 2500, I don't think we ever touched the front suspension.

Brute 23":3hgfyuo8 said:
JMJ Farms":3hgfyuo8 said:
I'm gonna go against the grain. I drive a Ram w/ a Cummins. But if I went to a gas engine, it would be Chevy hands down.

I agree. The Chevy 6.0L has been in the 3/4 ton trucks for around 15+ years now. Its a very reliable, proven motor.

Work truck or farm truck is how I make my money. Breaking down with a load of cattle is a big deal. Breaking down with a load of material and a full crew can cost thousands on the lost day alone.
I hold it to a higher standard than a daily driver.
My daily driver is a 2001 tundra.

I don't know about Kentucky, but in Texas you need to be very away of the laws on registering a vehicle as farm use. They don't be nice around
In ky you can get 26 or 38000 farm tags on pick ups. Can't charge mileage, something about traveling out of state. Never heard anything said about it. With farm tags you don't have to tag trailers at all. Not sure why but a lot of suv wear farm tags taxes I'm sure.

callmefence":2ccmg7hq said:
I've got a 2005 ram with 350,000 miles. 250,000 on the trans. Never done anything else except a water pump and alt. I change the oil ever 5000.

I'm bout to buy me a new one. But I'm keeping the old. I think it still has lots of work left in it.
Got a Ford 250 gas. I carry extra coil pack with me cause there always failing.

I disagree with all post above . the diesel is simpler ,longer lasting and in my area exempt from emission testing.

You must be changing the coil packs as they go out. I did that on my 5.4 till the fourth one went out. I went ahead and replaced the last five and have not had the hood up other than to change the oil in a few years.

littletom":27ucwwrd said:
callmefence":27ucwwrd said:
hurleyjd":27ucwwrd said:

I believe in the 3500 one ballpoint, a tie rod and a steering damper. We do the work ourselves including alignment so the cost is very minimal. I just let go of a 99 2500, I don't think we ever touched the front suspension.

I agree. The Chevy 6.0L has been in the 3/4 ton trucks for around 15+ years now. Its a very reliable, proven motor.

Work truck or farm truck is how I make my money. Breaking down with a load of cattle is a big deal. Breaking down with a load of material and a full crew can cost thousands on the lost day alone.
I hold it to a higher standard than a daily driver.
My daily driver is a 2001 tundra.

I don't know about Kentucky, but in Texas you need to be very away of the laws on registering a vehicle as farm use. They don't be nice around
In ky you can get 26 or 38000 farm tags on pick ups. Can't charge mileage, something about traveling out of state. Never heard anything said about it. With farm tags you don't have to tag trailers at all. Not sure why but a lot of suv wear farm tags taxes I'm sure.

No milage restriction in tx. You can drive it to church , grocery store, kids to school. Even allowed to take it on a vacation once a year.
BUT YOU cannot use it to drive to any other kinda job.
If I take a farm tagged truck to build a fence on your farm, for monetary payment I'm breaking the law and garunteed to be But under a microscope. This gets many people fined.
Interesting though it is legal if we trade services. Example..fence for hay.

hillbilly beef man":uol3f9ka said:
callmefence":uol3f9ka said:
I've got a 2005 ram with 350,000 miles. 250,000 on the trans. Never done anything else except a water pump and alt. I change the oil ever 5000.

I'm bout to buy me a new one. But I'm keeping the old. I think it still has lots of work left in it.

I disagree with all post above . the diesel is simpler ,longer lasting and in my area exempt from emission testing.

You must be changing the coil packs as they go out. I did that on my 5.4 till the fourth one went out. I went ahead and replaced the last five and have not had the hood up other than to change the oil in a few years.

I will say the 250 is my favorite truck (outta 5 ) to drive. Comfortable and good in the pasture. There's nothing worse than a diesel dually in the mud. Floats in the back and sinks like a rock in the front. The 5.4 has surprising power pulling very heavy loads. Its dependiiblity has been disappointing though, and you have to be a contortionist to work on it.

hillbilly beef man":hp5qxdat said:
callmefence":hp5qxdat said:

My F-350 has the 5.4 liter triton. I have replaced 3 coil packs. I carry one just in case. I have wondered if I should replace the back two. Because they would be a nightmare to change on the road.

TennesseeTuxedo":20wha06j said:

2012 F-250 Lariat 4x4 with gas engine. Does everything we need to do.

2013 F-250 4x4 diesel
Oil change and all filters is nearly 300.00
Next one will be gas
The diesel HP is great but I downsized trailers and just don't need one bad enough to justify the cost, fuel cost and etc

hurleyjd":34um5be7 said:
OldCrow":34um5be7 said:
callmefence":34um5be7 said:

Fence,

I agree those Dodges with 5.9s were great. We have one with 278k(2006) and another with around 320k(2004). Been pretty much trouble free and they had automatics. Replaced a torque converter on one transmission around 180k and that is it on the transmissions. That being said by all accounts from others with newer trucks (< 5 years old) they won't give the same dependability without more of what the dealers call "maintenance".

It sounds like you put a lot of miles on your trucks like us so I still think the diesel is the best option. We want have to worry about age getting components as we'll get the use out of them before 10 years is up.

Personally for a farm truck I would go gas though.

Very little, we run 2WD and don't really have a lot of problems with the front end. Replaced 3 hubs due to bearing failures but that is about it on the front ends. I by no means call my dad a maintenance guru as we run things till the end. When we get done with our trucks they are pretty much used up. Get about 30-40k miles out of a front set of tires which beats the old ford by 10-20k. We run them as delivery trucks so they do a lot of backing and turning. I'm a ford man but the dodge 3500s have been good to my family. We used to run fords before they went to the 6.0 and that is when my dad made the switch to dodge and it was a smart move. Never had any problems out of the F-350 besides the auto transmission and a set of lifters. The transmission was in the shop 3 times over a span of 500k miles. I call that a win for a 1992 F-350. It seems the newer auto transmissions are better at holding up. The guy that rebuilds our transmissions said that we have had good luck with our Dodges and don't expect to many more miles over 250k without a rebuild but no problems yet. knock on wood.

There have been little things here and there on both brands not worth mentioning. After running both I always said if you could put a Cummins in an F-350 then you would have the ultimate work truck. The Ford IMHO still drives and rides better loaded than the Dodge.

hillbilly beef man":wpsmugbl said:
XL F-250 6.2 with 4:30 rear end. Somewhat cheap, simple, and reliable.
If I were to buy a brand new truck it would be gas. I hang on to my artiques to keep the overhead low. What kind of fuel mileage do you get?

RanchMan90":2v9wrgkc said:
hillbilly beef man":2v9wrgkc said:
XL F-250 6.2 with 4:30 rear end. Somewhat cheap, simple, and reliable.
If I were to buy a brand new truck it would be gas. I hang on to my artiques to keep the overhead low. What kind of fuel mileage do you get?

The one our dealer gave to test drive for a couple of days averaged 10.8 mpg after 240 miles. With a tool box full of my junk in the bed, and all the crap I carry underneath seats I'm sure I would of been real disappointed in the fuel mileage. But I was amazed how quite and smooth a gas truck was.

I have a 2011 Ford F-250 with the 6.2 gas motor. I really like the motor. I don't tow a bunch, load a cows here and there and move hay during hay season. With the pulling I've done and the everyday driving I'm averaging right at 12MPG.

I had a 2003 Dodge Cummins before that. Going from a diesel to gas and a 4 speed to a six speed transmission was a big change. You have to keep those gas motors wound and that old Cummins would lug down and just keep rolling. I wasn't set on moving to a gas motor but I wasn't going to purchase a newer diesel with all the emissions junk on them. If I was buying new I'd look at the Dodge 6.4 gas too.

Margonme":6oj96lkl said:
A vehicle is one of life's most expensive purchases. I need to face the reality that my Ford F-350 2004 Super Duty with 250,000 miles on it needs to be traded.

First, new or used?
Second, Ford, Dodge or Chevy? I don't want diesel.
Third, if used, what is the oldest year I should consider?

Don't see where anyone addressed this......but it looks like you could get 2 good slightly used ones for the price of a new one.......

1982vett":175pdvoh said:
Margonme":175pdvoh said:
A vehicle is one of life's most expensive purchases. I need to face the reality that my Ford F-350 2004 Super Duty with 250,000 miles on it needs to be traded.

First, new or used?
Second, Ford, Dodge or Chevy? I don't want diesel.
Third, if used, what is the oldest year I should consider?

Don't see where anyone addressed this......but it looks like you could get 2 good slightly used ones for the price of a new one.......

Thank you and everyone for the responses. I am not in a hurry.

Unless somebody just needs a diesel, I'd advise against it. You can run a gas engine to 250,000 miles, and throw the engine away and buy a new motor cheaper than the initial cost of a Diesel engine. That's not to mention the expense of working on the diesel.

Latest posts