Farm Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":upcah89m said:
Unless somebody just needs a diesel, I'd advise against it. You can run a gas engine to 250,000 miles, and throw the engine away and buy a new motor cheaper than the initial cost of a Diesel engine. That's not to mention the expense of working on the diesel.
I agree. Most guys that drive a diesel do not need a diesel. Before all the emission bs and DEF a diesel was a good option for someone who pulled heavy frequently. IMO gasoline motors have been improving in the past decade while diesels are falling behind, mainly because of the emission regulations.

ohiosteve":15eakw1l said:
Bigfoot":15eakw1l said:
Unless somebody just needs a diesel, I'd advise against it. You can run a gas engine to 250,000 miles, and throw the engine away and buy a new motor cheaper than the initial cost of a Diesel engine. That's not to mention the expense of working on the diesel.
I agree. Most guys that drive a diesel do not need a diesel. Before all the emission bs and DEF a diesel was a good option... diesels are falling behind, mainly because of the emission regulations.
+2

08 6.0, 4.10s 250k on it. Been a great truck, no plans on getting rid of it.

bales_2.jpg

The only problem with a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck is the fuel mileage. I guess if you squat to pee, or have an overactive bladder they'd be fine though.

everybody i know has trouble with the injectors on the duramax's. between injectors and maintenance its cheaper to buy a spare gas motor.

True Grit Farms":pns741ep said:
The only problem with a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck is the fuel mileage. I guess if you squat to pee, or have an overactive bladder they'd be fine though.

1500mi to a fill up with my slip tank, Flip a switch in the cab and keep driving.

I'm not aware of any legal transfer tanks or pumps for gasoline trucks. We installed a bigger replacement tank on a 06 Chevy pick up. And it worked good.

there are plenty of gasoline transfer tanks, you just have to get out and pump it. not a big deal you can get a 12v pump if you want. my superduty(6.2) came with 35 gallon tank which keeps you going a while.

tja477t":2kz9uzf4 said:
everybody i know has trouble with the injectors on the duramax's. between injectors and maintenance its cheaper to buy a spare gas motor.

I traded my 04 duramax when the injectors went out. It was going to be $4000 to have them changed at every shop I priced it at. You can buy a whole new motor and install it in a gas truck for that.

I guess I been real lucky 217 on my o6 dmax. Rebuilt front end once, one hub, a waterpump, and a alternator. Everything else just regular main. Prolly 80% towing heavy loads.

In Australia it is a no brainer for a farm truck, most big properties would have one or more Toyota Landcruisers. They are the only vehicle tough enough to stand up to the conditions put to them but then the use of a farm truck seems to be a lot different here, towing on sealed roads seem important to you guys where we load cattle onto rigid body trucks, semi's. B doubles and road trains.

Ken

littletom":rt4r37ok said:
I guess I been real lucky 217 on my o6 dmax. Rebuilt front end once, one hub, a waterpump, and a alternator. Everything else just regular main. Prolly 80% towing heavy loads.

There was a spurt from 00-05 where the Dmax had some injector issues. Don't be fooled by the posts here... its far from a Duramax issue. All my buddies who "have to have the Cummins" do their fair share also and worse.

I have 84,000 miles on my 15 Duramax and have not had one issue. It drives like a brand new truck. By this time my Dodge was a wore out POS that had numerous repairs and recalls. Drive a Chevy/ Ford side by side and you will see the quality is not there with Dodge. They cut corners to make their vehicles cheaper.

Brute 23":37txk5e1 said:
littletom":37txk5e1 said:

There was a spurt from 00-05 where the Dmax had some injector issues. Don't be fooled by the posts here... its far from a Duramax issue. All my buddies who "have to have the Cummins" do their fair share also and worse.

I have 84,000 miles on my 15 Duramax and have not had one issue. It drives like a brand new truck. By this time my Dodge was a wore out POS that had numerous repairs and recalls. Drive a Chevy/ Ford side by side and you will see the quality is not there with Dodge. They cut corners to make their vehicles cheaper.

I don't know you from Adams house cat, but that's a ignorant and stupid statement. And you probably drive a short bed truck also. All brands have problems and some more than others depending on the year and model. I'm not brand loyal at all, I have one of each sitting in the yard right now. But before you toot about GM, crawl under the truck and look the real part of the truck over good. To my eyes Ford is the strongest, followed by Ram, then GM. I pull my own wrenches, think for myself and don't take anyone's opinion on anything as gospel.

True Grit Farms":272f5z5r said:
Brute 23":272f5z5r said:
littletom":272f5z5r said:

I don't know you from Adams house cat, but that's a ignorant and stupid statement. And you probably drive a short bed truck also. All brands have problems and some more than others depending on the year and model. I'm not brand loyal at all, I have one of each sitting in the yard right now. But before you toot about GM, crawl under the truck and look the real part of the truck over good. To my eyes Ford is the strongest, followed by Ram, then GM. I pull my own wrenches, think for myself and don't take anyone's opinion on anything as gospel.

Which part? I am speaking from my experiences with all 3 brand. Im not brand loyal either. Im for which ever truck keeps the most money in my pocket.

The fact is Ford has a good truck but needs to work the kinks out and stick with it. Quit changing every 2 years.

This is not 1998 or 2005... Dodge is behind the curve. They have lost out on a big market share to Ford and Chevy the last 5 years. Their glory days are over and they need to get to work on producing a quality product.

I agree they all have their problems and as a whole we are all getting screwed for the amount of money we pay for these trucks. Im not trying to convince any one to buy one thing or another. It doesn't make a flip to me.

Brute 23":2nk0botm said:
True Grit Farms":2nk0botm said:
Brute 23":2nk0botm said:

Which part? I am speaking from my experiences with all 3 brand. Im not brand loyal either. Im for which ever truck keeps the most money in my pocket.

The fact is Ford has a good truck but needs to work the kinks out and stick with it. Quit changing every 2 years.

This is not 1998 or 2005... Dodge is behind the curve. They have lost out on a big market share to Ford and Chevy the last 5 years. Their glory days are over and they need to get to work on producing a quality product.

I agree they all have their problems and as a whole we are all getting screwed for the amount of money we pay for these trucks. Im not trying to convince any one to buy one thing or another. It doesn't make a flip to me.

That is a great point.

True Grit Farms":2m7tfy6z said:
Brute 23":2m7tfy6z said:
littletom":2m7tfy6z said:

Seems to me that a man puts 84k on a truck in 2 years or less would have a good opinion on quality.

General opinion up here is the same - that dodge is the cheaper/lesser quality of the bunch also.. Not from dodge guys though of course.

Brute 23":2c4rlalk said:
True Grit Farms":2c4rlalk said:
Brute 23":2c4rlalk said:

Dodge had glory days? Completely missed that.

littletom":2yry8qeo said:
Someone may have answer to this. Why does GM not have a version of the 450-550 ?
That would be the Kodiak. The Dodge glory days was the 5.9, great motor but the truck could use improvement. Talking trucks could just about get political lol

Latest posts