Farm Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
A vehicle is one of life's most expensive purchases. I need to face the reality that my Ford F-350 2004 Super Duty with 250,000 miles on it needs to be traded.

First, new or used?
Second, Ford, Dodge or Chevy? I don't want diesel.
Third, if used, what is the oldest year I should consider?

A new 3/4 ton Ram 4x4 with a 6.4 gas engine would be hard to beat. Kernersville Ram has them very reasonable most of the time. And they'll deliver for free if your within 500 miles of them. Diesel trucks require to much maintenance and everything cost twice as much.

True Grit Farms":b8cca6wj said:
A new 3/4 ton Ram 4x4 with a 6.4 gas engine would be hard to beat. Kernersville Ram has them very reasonable most of the time. And they'll deliver for free if your within 500 miles of them. Diesel trucks require to much maintenance and everything cost twice as much.

BINGO! Our last truck was a diesel, and in the end it cost us WAY more than a comparable gas truck. From simple maintenance like oil changes to bigger repairs, like fuel injectors, we dumped a bunch into our diesel and never paid for the "savings" on fuel consumption.
Of course, you know my recommendation... because you have been in our truck numerous times, drove it, and pulled with it. I would not have wanted anything different than I have now, except maybe in RED. lol

I've got a 2005 ram with 350,000 miles. 250,000 on the trans. Never done anything else except a water pump and alt. I change the oil ever 5000.

I'm bout to buy me a new one. But I'm keeping the old. I think it still has lots of work left in it.
Got a Ford 250 gas. I carry extra coil pack with me cause there always failing.

I disagree with all post above . the diesel is simpler ,longer lasting and in my area exempt from emission testing.

Fire Sweep Ranch":ssh03ah6 said:
True Grit Farms":ssh03ah6 said:

BINGO! Our last truck was a diesel, and in the end it cost us WAY more than a comparable gas truck. From simple maintenance like oil changes to bigger repairs, like fuel injectors, we dumped a bunch into our diesel and never paid for the "savings" on fuel consumption.
Of course, you know my recommendation... because you have been in our truck numerous times, drove it, and pulled with it. I would not have wanted anything different than I have now, except maybe in RED. lol

I just spent $200. changing the oil, fuel filters, and air cleaner on my diesel. I'm changing the transmission filters and fluid tomorrow and that's another $140.
I almost bought a new F250 with a 6.2 gas engine last year. But the taste of my 6.0 diesel and the screwing Ford gave me prevented me from doing that. If your not towing over 12k pounds combined regularly, I really see no need in having a diesel truck.

callmefence":3sq9u8yg said:
I've got a 2005 ram with 350,000 miles. 250,000 on the trans. Never done anything else except a water pump and alt. I change the oil ever 5000.

I'm bout to buy me a new one. But I'm keeping the old. I think it still has lots of work left in it.

I disagree with all post above . the diesel is simpler ,longer lasting and in my area exempt from emission testing.

There's no doubt you need a diesel truck Fenceman, you work your trucks. It cost me $1,500.00 to delete my new diesel truck, and I did the EGR and exhaust system delete myself. But my fuel mileage is over 20 mpg combined now.

For what its worth my recommendation would be a 2011-2016 f250 or f350 with the 6.2, and if you are able to do some shopping around try to find one with the 4.30 rear end (they are tough to find used though). Good enough for occasional short hauling up to 15k, decent mileage and are getting to be pretty well known as a solid reliable truck that's reasonably priced. Especially with the 2017 redesign body style on superduty you might be able to find some later model trade ins.

Gas vs diesel can go on forever.
Fuel filter and oil changes kill me.
200k+ miles on the Ford 6.7 and zero problems.
I like when I hook onto a load it walks off with it without the slightest strain but with that said I'll probably go back with gas on the next one for the lower purchase price, lower fuel cost and maintenance.
I just don't pull enough to justify a diesel, but hp is unequalled gas vs diesel

How old are you talking?

I know a few guys that love their Ford V10s. They do have the spark plug issue, and the manifold bolts like to break on the older ones, but otherwise they are very reliable.

The GM trucks of that era are very good too. We had a 96 K3500 SRW, ran around for almost 10 years and 240k HARD miles with a trip feeder and Besler hay bed. It was a 7.4 Vortec auto, never had much trouble. Water and fuel pump, injectors, and lots of gas. It still runs and drives. The front end was rebuilt many times due to the weight of the feeder and bed.

We replaced the Chevy with a 96 Dodge 2500 Cummins Auto. Engine is shoe-horned in there and a SOB to work on. Interior quality is garbage. Had it less than a year, already had trouble with vacuum lines, power steering, and the shut off solenoid relay. I'm not a fan of the Dodge truck. There's a reason Chrysler has changed hands so many times, if it weren't for their affiliation with Cummins they wouldn't even be in the same league.

We also have a 96 F250 7.3. Been pretty good, needed glow plugs and relays, a few front end parts, vacuum pump, and a starter. Hard to find good 7.3 trucks though, and they are spendy, actually going up in value.

Out of all the gas trucks running around here, most are Ford and Chevy.

My boss put nearly 300k on an 06 Suburban. Very nearly trouble free, just lately needed an oil pump. The 6.0/4L80E combo is a good one.

GM trucks got a much better interior and Vortec engines in 95.5. Cab corners and rockers rust pretty badly, as do the rear brake lines by the gas tank. The small block Vortec had some CSFI problems, big blocks were good, but will usually need injectors at some point. The next body style came in 99, along with LS engines, which are an improvement.

JMJ Farms":3ilrwthp said:
I'm gonna go against the grain. I drive a Ram w/ a Cummins. But if I went to a gas engine, it would be Chevy hands down.

I agree. The Chevy 6.0L has been in the 3/4 ton trucks for around 15+ years now. Its a very reliable, proven motor.

If its a straight up farm truck I would go used. If its a daily driver/ farm truck I would go new.

I know nothing about your big trucks there Ron but in my opinion I tend to favor buying new. Late model 2nd hand they still ask the earth for them, at least with new, the tires are new, the battery is new, you have a full warranty though I have read some nightmare stories of warranties on here but you have the latest frills that go with them, they talk to you and will reverse park themselves. Yeh the common reasoning is that when you drive it out the saleroom you drop so many thousand, I don't think that matters if you intend keeping it for the longhaul which you seem to have done with your existing truck.

Petrol or diesel I think whatever your comfortable with. I am a diesel man myself but I do all my own servicing as well. I wouldn't trust it to those dealers to do the right thing. I get a friend of mine to stamp the book so the warranty is not void.
Modern vehicles there is very little to servicing just changing the oils and filters on time. The dealers service people are not real good at greasing the drive shafts

Ken

True Grit Farms":2tdbeixz said:

Horse kapucky! My 2004 Duramax has almost 300K on it. Here's a list of things done to it:

U joints replaced at 90,000 miles
Fuel filter sensor connector replaced (twice)
Engine rebuild at 24,000 miles (warranty - no cost)

That's it - nothing else, just normal maintenance items (fluids, filters, tires and brakes (once))

lavacarancher":13e26j7p said:
True Grit Farms":13e26j7p said:

Horse kapucky! My 2004 Duramax has almost 300K on it. Here's a list of things done to it:

U joints replaced at 90,000 miles
Fuel filter sensor connector replaced (twice)
Engine rebuild at 24,000 miles (warranty - no cost)

That's it - nothing else, just normal maintenance items (fluids, filters, tires and brakes (once))

Usage must have a major part in your good fortune. Towing a heavy load with a Duramax wears the truck out. The engine holds up fairly well. Just look at what the majority of hotshot owner operators on the road drive. There is a reason for this. I'm on my fourteenth diesel truck and the two Duramax powered trucks were without question the highest maintenance out of the bunch.
But when I referred to the cost of maintenance, I was referring to the price of the oil, filters and air cleaner. Because a diesel engine should be serviced twice as often as a gas burner. And now all the new EPA emissions crap on a new diesel engine who knows what the maintenance cost will be?

callmefence":6uphy6o1 said:

Fence,

I agree those Dodges with 5.9s were great. We have one with 278k(2006) and another with around 320k(2004). Been pretty much trouble free and they had automatics. Replaced a torque converter on one transmission around 180k and that is it on the transmissions. That being said by all accounts from others with newer trucks (< 5 years old) they won't give the same dependability without more of what the dealers call "maintenance".

It sounds like you put a lot of miles on your trucks like us so I still think the diesel is the best option. We want have to worry about age getting components as we'll get the use out of them before 10 years is up.

Personally for a farm truck I would go gas though.

OldCrow":2drro8sn said:
callmefence":2drro8sn said:

Fence,

I agree those Dodges with 5.9s were great. We have one with 278k(2006) and another with around 320k(2004). Been pretty much trouble free and they had automatics. Replaced a torque converter on one transmission around 180k and that is it on the transmissions. That being said by all accounts from others with newer trucks (< 5 years old) they won't give the same dependability without more of what the dealers call "maintenance".

It sounds like you put a lot of miles on your trucks like us so I still think the diesel is the best option. We want have to worry about age getting components as we'll get the use out of them before 10 years is up.

How many times has the front suspension been replaced on the dodges.

hurleyjd":87eyi60w said:
OldCrow":87eyi60w said:
callmefence":87eyi60w said:

Fence,

How many times has the front suspension been replaced on the dodges.

I believe in the 3500 one ballpoint, a tie rod and a steering damper. We do the work ourselves including alignment so the cost is very minimal. I just let go of a 99 2500, I don't think we ever touched the front suspension.

Brute 23":87eyi60w said:
JMJ Farms":87eyi60w said:
I'm gonna go against the grain. I drive a Ram w/ a Cummins. But if I went to a gas engine, it would be Chevy hands down.

I agree. The Chevy 6.0L has been in the 3/4 ton trucks for around 15+ years now. Its a very reliable, proven motor.

Work truck or farm truck is how I make my money. Breaking down with a load of cattle is a big deal. Breaking down with a load of material and a full crew can cost thousands on the lost day alone.
I hold it to a higher standard than a daily driver.
My daily driver is a 2001 tundra.

I don't know about Kentucky, but in Texas you need to be very away of the laws on registering a vehicle as farm use. They don't **** around