Due to suffocating Heat.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I let these two cows deliver in the shade. The heat has been staggering for 10 days and still going strong. I normally try my best to bring the cows that look close to partum up to the headquarters. That way I have access to the facilities and I can avoid predators. I decided a few days ago after holding the twins in the pen adjoining the facilities to let the other expecting cows deliver in the pasture where they can find shade. I knew these two were going to calf based on their behavior yesterday. Early this morning I took the Utility Vehicle out to look for them. I found this:

Heifer
Dam: Bartlett.
Sire: HPF Optimizer
Due: 9/20/2019
DOB: 9/13/2019
Gestation 278 days
Weight: 91 pounds

It really helps to have docile cattle. I was able to weight the calf and administer Inforce 3 and First Defense right under her nose.

When I got finished, I walked up the holler and found this:

I am very excited about this heifer. Ronnie is a great cow. All her previous calves have been bulls. This will be her replacement.
Heifer
Dam: Ronnie
Sire: Cowboy Cut
Due: 9/20/2019
DOB: 9/13/2019
Gestation: 278 days
Weight: 75 pounds.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hmmmmm.... I let all ours choose where they wish to calve.

I do except for heifers or if I'm even remotely concerned I'll bring a cow down. And yet that bit me in the azz last "spring" when one of my experienced cows had twins in the middle of a ice storm, in the middle of the night, and didn't have the presence of mind to seek shelter in the woods (primarily cedar). One was stillborn (tiny!) but despite out best efforts, the other didn't make it.

We don't have the facilities to bring in the entire herd but BR does. My BFF has a saying, "you do you". ;-)

Nice looking calves Ron. And your right this heat has been horrible.
Is that another optimizer calf that isn't chromed up?

kentuckyguy said:
Nice looking calves Ron. And your right this heat has been horrible.
Is that another optimizer calf that isn't chromed up?

Thank you. Yes. If you cross him with a cow that has white, you can get and explosion of white. Looks like these solid black cows are holding back the white.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hmmmmm.... I let all ours choose where they wish to calve.

I don't like to lose calves. Plus this is not a commercial operation. I don't lose calves due to them getting stuck in mud. ;-)

You started out strong with bulls, but the girls must be catching up! Good deal.
Hey Ron, you need to think about getting a regular calf scale with a sling & pole. Your back's not going to like you to keep picking up those calves!!!! Next time Phil has to weigh one, I will try to remember to take a picture.

I do run a petting zoo. All of my cows are halter broke, tame, gentle. It makes them easy to be around and easy to work. I dont have a chute. Dont yet need one but I only have 22 head right now down from 28. If the one cow has been so great why replace her? I'd keep the calf for sure but I'd keep the cow going at least until she wont breed back or has some health issue.

Not sure but I`m thinking this heat is to blame for all but one so far being anywhere from 5-9 days early. I also had a set of twins that were 30 days early and of course lost both of them. This heat has been brutal we`ve been setting or tied the old records all week.

I'll take some warmth over on this side of the continent.. been overcast and drizzly for a while now.. don't think we're even breaking 80F on the days with sun.. I'm NOT ready for winter

Latest posts