Alternative to First Defense?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Since the First Defense boluses, Dual Force gel and Tri Force gel have been backordered/out of stock for almost a year, I'm looking into alternatives. Rounding up the cattle and vaccinating with Scour Bos next month isn't a viable option in my world - plus, I have to tag and administer Inforce 3 on the newborns anyway.

Has anyone used Calf Distinction Sync Paste or Optimizer paste? Hopefully with positive results? Any other suggestions? I can't remember the last time I had to treat a calf for scours and sure don't want to chance it.

Okay, I'm gonna bump and rephrase. For those of you who have been using First Defense products (bolus, Dual Shield & Tri Shield paste), what are you planning to do this year? Unless it magically becomes available within the next couple months.

When I was looking for the TriShield paste last summer for September calving, couldn't fine it anywhere. I emailed the distributer for my area. She said it's been backordered, and not available most places, but they had just sent a new batch to Simplot (Western Stockmens) in Caldwell as just getting some in stock. Went and got it immediately. Might be worth a try if you haven't already? https://immucell.com/sales_distributors/

Thanks for the info. My vet doesn't carry it and Valley Vet (online) is the nearest distributor, according to the link. Still out of stock. I don't start calving until end of February but trying to be proactive instead of panicking at the last minute.

Better explanation (maybe ;)... I had tried all the online vet supplies. PBS Animal Health was the one I was using at the time. They were out of stock, and had been. So I emailed my Western Region Sales Rep who got me the info. She had said PBS, and I'm assuming most online vet supplies, would be among the last to get any. Your region (KS?)

DJ Dominguez
Sales & Marketing Manager
Southern Region

806-315-1628
[email protected]