Drillham cattle (hereford, angus, wagyu pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
I spent the long weekend out at my Uncle's and Cousin's 19000 acre cattle and cultivation property to get a little bit of cattle tuition. Their main herd is about 350 angus cows which they use Wagyu bulls over. They sell the 12 month old steers direct export to a Japanese feedlot where they are fed for another 400 days. They sell the heifers direct to local feedlots and buy all replacement angus heifers.

This is a 9 year old Wagyu bull. He was one of the first Fullblood embryos brought into the country from Japan

IMG_2457.jpg

A much younger bull almost 2 year old. He's not much to look at but he has an impressive workload. He covers 90 cows by himself.

IMG_2460.jpg

A sample of the angus cow herd

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

They also have a small herd of commercial horned herefords. The cow herd is predominantly devoncourt and wallan creek breeding. The herd bull is co owned by Wallan Creek herefords who are their neighbor.

herf2-1.jpg

herf3.jpg

herf4.jpg

herf1.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

Andrew

Love the angus cows, the herefords isn't the type I like, but they are a decent looking bunch. The young wagyu bull isn't really uglier than the old wagyu bull

Love the angus cows, the herefords isn't the type I like, but they are a decent looking bunch.

The angus cows were much more moderate in size. They've had some good rain out there lately but before that they had a pretty long drought. From what i was told the angus cows held up better through the drought.

The young wagyu bull isn't really uglier than the old wagyu bull

Maybe but he certainly isn't prettier :D . Eye apeal certainly isn't their strong point. They looked extra ordinary compared to that big hereford bull.

Andrew

Agree about the Wagyus being ugly, but they'll sell well in Japan so I guess it doesn't matter. :D Their rump is almost non-existant.
Do you know how much they improve the marbling by?

townfarmer":24as21m2 said:
Love the angus cows, the herefords isn't the type I like, but they are a decent looking bunch.

The angus cows were much more moderate in size. They've had some good rain out there lately but before that they had a pretty long drought. From what i was told the angus cows held up better through the drought.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

The young wagyu bull isn't really uglier than the old wagyu bull

Maybe but he certainly isn't prettier :D .

I have to agree on that as well.

Eye apeal certainly isn't their strong point. They looked extra ordinary compared to that big hereford bull.

Andrew

alacattleman":18hth3a4 said:
maybe they should advertize some of these sorry looking angus as wagyu... i really like that angus herd

bammy they been selling the things down here for years....just didnt' know what they had. :lol2:

Agree about the Wagyus being ugly, but they'll sell well in Japan so I guess it doesn't matter. Their rump is almost non-existant.
Do you know how much they improve the marbling by?

As Keren said, a lot apparently. For a while the feedlot in Japan were buying the F2 cross(angus 25% wagyu 75%) but their weight gains were much slower. They prefer the F1 angus wagyu cross which has good growth and adequate marbling.

Andrew

Latest posts