Dream Carcass Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
...that should be a good performing, well-balanced animal: A cow sired by 8020 out of a Farley daughter, mated to Feltons Ozzie. The calf should be a humdinger.

I don't believe that that mating will give you the dream carcass that you are hoping for. It will be better than average and in the top percentage of the Hereford breed but I believe that you can achieve better results. A couple of bulls that should give you a better carcass is Bennett M326 , Domino 774 , and possibly EF Frank P230. Frank P230 needs to be breed to a cow with large ribeye area to improve his weakness in that area. I have a Frank son that scanned a 15 inch ribeye area , but that is not the norm for him. I do like the proposed mating until you used Ozzie. Ozzie is a nice preforming bull and make nice calves but he is not a breed mover in marbling.

Actually, I'd like to take a whole herd of cows bred similar to this, and put some Richard Day bulls on them.

When I say "Dream," I'm referring more to the expense and trouble of accomplishing that blend, than I am saying that it is the absolute ideal. I have a strong feeling that the Day cattle would be hard to beat in the marbling and tenderness category. And while we're at it, lets breed some to Lents Anxiety 4th bulls and boost the yield AND quality grade while putting some powerful rear quarter on them.

I just think that Ozzie is a well-balanced, all round bull.

I know from personal experience that it is a long journey to develop your ideal, but it is a rewarding experience when you see the pieces start coming together.

Greenwillow , I too would like to have a cow or two from your proposed matings. I would however still be looking for carcass improvement and believe that the genetic combination is a generation or two farther along than stopping at Ozzie. Oz does bring in 774's genetics , but to day it is very hard to beat Endurance 745's marbling in the Hereford breed and I believe that 745's genetics will contribute to future improvement. I also think that the DNA markers are going to pay a large role for seedstock producers and Oz does not have some of the markers that I believe will be important. I do like the OZ sired calves that I have seen , they certainly look good.

LFF":ugkmjl94 said:
Greenwillow , I too would like to have a cow or two from your proposed matings. I would however still be looking for carcass improvement and believe that the genetic combination is a generation or two farther along than stopping at Ozzie. Oz does bring in 774's genetics , but to day it is very hard to beat Endurance 745's marbling in the Hereford breed and I believe that 745's genetics will contribute to future improvement. I also think that the DNA markers are going to pay a large role for seedstock producers and Oz does not have some of the markers that I believe will be important. I do like the OZ sired calves that I have seen , they certainly look good.

How much pigment does Ozzie sire?

Knersie, Ozzie does not produce the eye pigmentation that you like. Schular 5N's offspring almost always gives me two pigmented eyes and testicals. I can get you some picture of 5N calves if you'd like and are not in a great hurry?

LFF":nhrs2vm7 said:
Knersie, Ozzie does not produce the eye pigmentation that you like. Schular 5N's offspring almost always gives me two pigmented eyes and testicals. I can get you some picture of 5N calves if you'd like and are not in a great hurry?

Please do, there is no hurry on my part, merely being curious since I almost used Ozzie two years ago. I still like the bull.

i had 2 steers butchered in dec. 07 1 was a feb, coming 2 yr old out of pw nick and he graded the best the grader called it colby meat or above prime. the steaks are real nice marbled and great tasting, and the other steer was a may and his steaks were graded prime and he is eating great with great taste and tenderness. they were 3 months grain fed. cjphrford

Knersie, here are some 5N offspring.

schularcalves_011.jpg

schularcalves_004.jpg

schularcalves.jpg

And here are some of 5N's son Schurable calves. He did pass on the pigment around the eyes.
schularcalves_002.jpg

schularcalves_001.jpg

Sorry the cattle are not in condition for pictures , but I hope that you can gather something for them anyway.

cjpherford3":232dzrw9 said:
i had 2 steers butchered in dec. 07 1 was a feb, coming 2 yr old out of pw nick and he graded the best the grader called it colby meat or above prime. the steaks are real nice marbled and great tasting, and the other steer was a may and his steaks were graded prime and he is eating great with great taste and tenderness. they were 3 months grain fed. cjphrford

What were the genetics on these?

I'll concede the eye pigment point on Ozzie. While he may not be in the elite range of IMF, he's a whole leap ahead of most Remitall bulls for instance. (Was just looking through the new Reed catalog yesterday) To me, Ozzie phenotypically brings a lot to the table in a decent numbers package.

Ken, did/are you using 5N again this year, or just using his son?

CPL":30tuqw4g said:
Ken, did/are you using 5N again this year, or just using his son?

I plan on using his son Schurable on a few and then offering him for sale.

Schular 5N is one of my top choices for continued AI use , however I may not use him this year.

My top choices for 2008 are ; Schular 5N , EF Frank P230 , SHF Progress.

I am limited on cows for AI use due to some yearling bulls that I own which I want to use.

My yearling bulls are ; LFF Frankie Lei (P42793256) and KCF LFF Bennett 774 T104 (P42805409).

The Frankie Lei bull is nice and thick , birth weight 78 lbs. , 205 weaning weight 651 , yearling weight 1184 , scrotal 45 cm. , and a ribeye scan of 15 sq. inches . They did not get a acceptable scan on his IMF to give a score , so I will have to have him rescanned to get it. His rib fat was .36 inches and rump fat was .45 inches. This bull has pigment around both eyes , very little white on his neck or legs , and shows thickness similar to the Ozzie bull that has been talked about in this trend.

LFF,
thanks for the photos, really like the eyes of the bull in the first pic. Very masculine head.

Is the Frankie bull by EF Frank p230? How did he breed for you?

KNERSIE":2ddih32c said:

LFF,
thanks for the photos, really like the eyes of the bull in the first pic. Very masculine head.

Is the Frankie bull by EF Frank p230? How did he breed for you?

Frankie is a son of EF Frank P230. P230 has always given me birth weights in the 70 to 78 pound range. He has not produced as high of a percent IMF as I had hoped for and about half of his calves are light colored. The Frankie son that I have is the highest scanning ribeye area on any that I know of and that is a exception to the norm for P230 ribeye area.

The bull in the first picture is Schurable and I am pleased with him , however his calves birth weights have been in the 85 to 95 pound range. All of his calves were born unassisted and two were from heifers. I do believe that shape has as much to do with calving ease as does weight.

Hey GreeneWillow, just thought I'd save you some time on achieving perfection and send you something that could perfect your pretty lil heifers :lol2: Here you go
butaffyandka.jpg

I know you are fighting it, but one day you will see how silly all those papers are and a big shiny BEEFMASTER will be struttin around your pasture, this step will save you 50-60 years of achieving that perfect heifer. :cboy: Oh yeah, He is now fully three years of age.

Hey again GreenWillow, went down to the auction and bought a cute little hereford heifer to put under that bull, it'll take about 2 years but I'll send you the carcass info from my rail program and some pretty pictures.

Latest posts