Dog Problem, need advise

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
I have a beautiful 6 yo yellow lab. She can't get enough love and will crawl up on your lap if you let her. She groans with pleasure if you pet her and wants to be at your side at all times. She is very jealous of any other animal we show attention to.

Heres the problem...she is a killer. She has killed several kittens. Lately, she has attacked our other dogs. Today she attacked our sweet border collie, grabbing her throat, and swinging her around. Luckily we were around, and kicked the lab and she let the border collie go. I now think she may have hurt one of the smaller dogs, who had mysterious severe injuries a few months ago. 500 dollars later that dog is fine, but I had believed he had been attacked by a roving pack. Now, after this episode, I wonder if she was the guilty party....

I am thinking I should have her put down. I've had her since she was about 6 mos old, she was a stray. She is very devoted to me..

I am trying to do the right thing, but I am torn. It is not likely I could find her another home. Need advise. Thanks

For sure you cannot give her away. It sounds as though her behavior is escalating. If what you are wanting is advise, I would advize you to have her put down. She will transfer her jealousy to people, children you attend to. I know how very sad that would be to have her put down.

This is not like barking excessively, or not coming when called ~ where there are effective behavior modifications you can try. Maybe, I hope, someone here has something that can help you. I personally would not have a dog that kills anything.

I know that there is prozac for dogs, but I don't know if it's effective for that behavior...which is certainly extreme.

When I was a teenager a big beautiful male border collie wandered in. He attached himself to my Daddy. The dog got very protective of the house, the yard, the cars, also. He took off after the milk inspector once and if Daddy hadn't been there, it would have been pretty grim. When us kids would come home, we'd sneak into the house, or honk the horn until Daddy came out of the barn or the house to give us safe passage. For awhile, it was kind of comical.

What finally did it, tho, was when my mother came home around 10:00 p.m. She got out of the car to come into the house, the dog appeared, and had my mother not been close to the car (she jumped up on the hood), she'd have been attacked.

Daddy put the dog down the next day.

My sympathy goes out to you...I can imagine how hard your decision is.

Alice

I would definitely put it down. You're playing with fire having a dog like that around. It's just a matter of time before it hurts a child and/or costs you a lot of money.

there are a few things that can cause some bizarre behaviour such as attacking other dogs and general aggressive things. Tick borne illness is one, thyroid is another. calcium imbalance. but more often then not tho it is behaviour problems that the dog just has. I have a cur here, was taken from her momma at 4 weeks, she didnt get to learn how to share , how not to bite, how to play, nothing from her mom and littermates. she tried to kill one of my small dogs at 3 months of age...and bit me in the process. she now thinks I am the one and only person on this planet. she is kept seperate from all the other dogs and animals except for my borzoi, who is big enough to just grab her by the head and flip her over if she gets out of hand. I dont give her the chance to attack the other critters here and when she bit me I Whooped her behind from one end of the property to the other. I taught her what respect really was and she refuses to listen to my other half (its his dog) and if I tell her to drop and give me 20 she does.
your girl could probably be the same way, sounds like it, but if you really wanted to give her a chance you can have her tested for a few things, and if negative. well pen her up or put her down, dont give her the chance to kill another one of your critters.

You should watch Animal Planet for a day or two. They have several show on dogs that are siezed by animal control. They put them through a rigorous testing program to see if they are a candidate for adoption. The ONE deciding factor that they don't budge on is disposition. If they don't pass they get a shot and it's over.

We had a similar situation a few years ago with a GSP bytch. she had shown some food agression with her former owners grandchild so he gave her to me to hunt. She was a tremendous hunter, champion quality, but after a two year period of time with us. She had bit every person we hunted with, over one thing or another. The last straw was when my friends son dropped a bite of food on the floor and bent down to pictkit up and she bit him hard. We put her down.

Make your own choice but be wrong on the side of caution please . These dogs very rarely get better, and usually worse, sometimes tragically worse.

i hate to say this but that dog needs tobe put down asap.as time goes on she will only get more aggressive.an you dont need a dog like that around your family or other pets.

bigbull338":3m2o7dnu said:
i hate to say this but that dog needs tobe put down asap.as time goes on she will only get more aggressive.an you dont need a dog like that around your family or other pets.

as time goes on she will only get more aggressive

That's the bottom line, isn't it bigbull...the aggression get worse. My heart goes out to anyone having to make this decision.

Alice

This is just a thought, and maybe a goofy thought. But, what if that dog has a brain tumor...could you ask the vet about that possibility? That way, whatever your decision, you would be able to settle in you own mind that you had done or sought out all the information you could.

Alice

I would advise to have her put down, as hard as that may be, but I agree with eveyone else she will more than likely get much more aggressive and turn to people/children you care about and tend to....Although you could call that Cezar (sp?) guy on the National Geographic Channel he has a show called "The Dog Whisperer"....he has seemed to work wonders on every dog he meets (or the ones they show on TV anyways)

Alice":1tpmqpf2 said:
This is just a thought, and maybe a goofy thought. But, what if that dog has a brain tumor...could you ask the vet about that possibility? That way, whatever your decision, you would be able to settle in you own mind that you had done or sought out all the information you could.

Alice

either way youd still put it down wouldnt you. You dont need a dog like that. Sorry to hear.

A funny thing baout dog "jealousy" is we had my dog and uncles dog togather for the 4th of july. When you would pet one the other would charge in and chase what ever dog you were petting away and then come back to get petted. Never got old to watch.

Dog doesn't need to be put down, it needs some one to take control and show it who is boss.

IF the dog starts to fight with another dog, woop its ars and throw it in a kennel for a day or two. No petting, no loving, just enough to live.

Then let it out again and repeat as necessary.

Animal agression and human agression are two totally different things. IF you don't trust the dog around people than that is another story... but from what you had said, I only saw problems with other animals.

fourstates":37onp9gr said:
I have a beautiful 6 yo yellow lab. She can't get enough love and will crawl up on your lap if you let her. She groans with pleasure if you pet her and wants to be at your side at all times. She is very jealous of any other animal we show attention to.

Heres the problem...she is a killer. She has killed several kittens. Lately, she has attacked our other dogs. Today she attacked our sweet border collie, grabbing her throat, and swinging her around. Luckily we were around, and kicked the lab and she let the border collie go. I now think she may have hurt one of the smaller dogs, who had mysterious severe injuries a few months ago. 500 dollars later that dog is fine, but I had believed he had been attacked by a roving pack. Now, after this episode, I wonder if she was the guilty party....

I am thinking I should have her put down. I've had her since she was about 6 mos old, she was a stray. She is very devoted to me..

I am trying to do the right thing, but I am torn. It is not likely I could find her another home. Need advise. Thanks

I figure this is as much a human problem as a dog problem. You are letting this animal rule the roost and you.

Do not know how many other animals you have there but it sounds like lots - and you are letting this dog become the Alpha of all - possibly even you.

You got one of two choices:

1. Beat this dog until you are out of breathe and energy when it gets into a fight - not tap it on the nose - and heave it into the kennel for a couple of days without food, water and attention (I can hear the howls from some now) - you have to prepare for the beating - get your line of weapons set up - and be ready for a possible attack from the dog - you want to break it if this and a kick will not do it - and it may require several treatments - make it become subservient to you - it is not at present. This beating cannot come from anyone other than you - doing so will only make the problem worse. So now we will see what stuff you are made of.

Or

2. Kill it.

I suppose you could - give this dog away?

Nope.

I think it is a ticking time bomb.

Personally I think it may be too far along to do anything other than kill it - but you are on scene and we can only read what you wrote - you are the owner and you are the final judge.

Good luck

Bez+

I agree with Bez, the dog, just like some people is most likely too far gone. That kind of behaviour is an aquired taste and once established hard to break. Dispose of the dog humanely and do it soon before the object of her attention is a small child.

The beating while effective relative to your pack will not change her behaviour relative to other things. She's still a puppy and already a killer.

Bez+":21uwpnl5 said:
fourstates":21uwpnl5 said:
1. Beat this dog until you are out of breathe and energy when it gets into a fight - not tap it on the nose - and heave it into the kennel for a couple of days without food, water and attention (I can hear the howls from some now) - you have to prepare for the beating - get your line of weapons set up - and be ready for a possible attack from the dog - you want to break it if this and a kick will not do it - and it may require several treatments - make it become subservient to you - it is not at present. This beating cannot come from anyone other than you - doing so will only make the problem worse. So now we will see what stuff you are made of.

Bez+

Howls?? give me a break, please ignore this advice, its about the most assinine advice I have ever read... unless you want a fast trip to jail and all of your animals confiscated should someone see you do this and turn you in, I would seriously think of something else. withholding food and water from any animal for days after you have beat it half to death in order to "teach it a lesson" is just beyond comprehension. sorry Bez but your advice this time is wrong. That dog will not associate the hunger and thirst and the beating with anything that it has done. there is a difference between an ass whooping and beating one half to death and then starving it. take it to the vet and put it down. sad to say, but its probably the best thing for you household.

Bez+":1jey0x15 said:
fourstates":1jey0x15 said:

I figure this is as much a human problem as a dog problem. You are letting this animal rule the roost and you.

Do not know how many other animals you have there but it sounds like lots - and you are letting this dog become the Alpha of all - possibly even you.

You got one of two choices:

Or

2. Kill it.

I suppose you could - give this dog away?

Nope.

I think it is a ticking time bomb.

Personally I think it may be too far along to do anything other than kill it - but you are on scene and we can only read what you wrote - you are the owner and you are the final judge.

Good luck

Bez+

If you're thinking about doing this just shoot the dam dog and go get you a hamster or something.

The one thing I agree with the dominatrix on "me or the dog" is that once you have an aggresive dog they can never be trusted.

dun":1qercrm5 said:
The one thing I agree with the dominatrix on "me or the dog" is that once you have an aggresive dog they can never be trusted.

did I miss something. Who is the Dominatrix, this thread just got a lot more interesting.

Are their whips involved? Maybe spiked dog collars?

Latest posts