Dog Problem, need advise

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":lm2or06i said:
dun":lm2or06i said:
The one thing I agree with the dominatrix on "me or the dog" is that once you have an aggresive dog they can never be trusted.

did I miss something. Who is the Dominatrix, this thread just got a lot more interesting.

Are their whips involved? Maybe spiked dog collars?

Watch the program and you'll know who/what I'm referring to.

3waycross":2gmf9s0v said:
Watch it he[[ I live for it. She (Victoria) can teach me some manners any day.

You would think the cows would give you enough dominatrix type stuff

dun":2umrfkjw said:
3waycross":2umrfkjw said:

They don't look as good in those tall black leather boots.

fourstates":1qrtjzrp said:
Heres the problem...she is a killer. She has killed several kittens. Lately, she has attacked our other dogs.

I don't understand how a dog can be too far gone? Words like lately, and yesterday.. lead me to believe the dog just started this?

SHoot the dog, that's fine, but don't go buy another thinking things will be different. Before you know it you will be shooting that one also. Atleast take the time to try to fix the problem... you owe the animal that.

The dog is on a power trip, show it who is boss and that the behavior is not acceptable. Animals will test their boundaries periodically, no matter how old.

3waycross":2i4cee6y said:
dun":2i4cee6y said:
3waycross":2i4cee6y said:

They don't look as good in those tall black leather boots.

HMMMMMM,, I'm assuming you have tried getting them to wear them?

They don't look as good in those tall black leather boots.[/quote]

HMMMMMM,, I'm assuming you have tried getting them to wear them?[/quote]

My pet cow "Cookie " offered but I told her I probably wouldn't respect her in the morning so we let it drop. It's sad she'll do almost anything for a handfull of cake.

My Labs tried killing kittens and chickens too when they were younger, as well as chasing horses and cows... it's just a dawg thing. I didn't go the extreme Bez suggests (I don't mind tanning their hide with a riding crop but I always feed/water my critters no matter how mad I am at them), but I did have a little discussion with them about the fact that cats and chickens are important to me and I want them around. :p My dogs haven't touched a chicken in at least 5 years or more, make wide detours to avoid anything that appears to look like chasing livestock, and they're extremely well mannered farm dogs. My 11 y/o Lab visits the neighbors on occasion and they don't mind her because she never bothers the animals. She's just traveling, that's all.

If she ever shows a sign of human aggression I'd put her down in a heartbeat, but if she's only aggressive with animals... then IMO you need a lesson in being alpha dog, and "explain" to her that some things are no longer permitted.

On a very serious note. Dogs live in the here and now. If you catch a dog in the act of doing something and whip his butt for it you might break him of that specific act, you also might not. They can be trained away from specific behaviours but not by the average person. Mostly because we lack the commitment necessary to complete the job.

Once again I have told the story about the GSP bytch that I had to put down. Once she started showing signs of agression toward humans especially kids I should have shot her. I tried instead to wring some more hunting out of her first and she did nothing but get worse, and believe me when I say she knew darned good and well that I was the Alpha dog. She got punished many times in the here and now. It did virtually no good. She feared me and bit everyone else.

Mean is mean get rid of the dog.

Well, I didn't kill her or beat her. What I did was tie her up, at the house for two weeks. I feel this is a pack problem, she forgets who runs this pack. She had never been restrained before, and I really had never taught her who was boss.

The first thing I taught her is to sit at my feet when she approaches me. She used to nose me (hard) in the crotch to get my attention. No more of that business. The biggest thing I am working on, is she must not interfere when I give other dogs attention. Rosie used to get between my legs and snap at the other dogs. I can't believe I let her get away with this, thinking she was just very protective of me. Now, I force her to sit at my feet while I pet the other dogs. If she shows any interference, I grab the skin of her throat and pull her down to the ground until she stops struggling. I have forced her to lay still while I literally rub the other dogs all over her. She has to lay still, while I humiliate her this way, but then I give her lots of love as a reward.

Yesterday, my daughter brought her young pup on a visit from Dallas. Accidently the pup got loose and ran up to Rosie, wanting to play. This usually would be a big problem...but Rosie moved away from him and lay down under a truck. I saw her look at me, first.

Now, I am not stupid enough to think that this dog might still attack another pet if I wasn't looking, but we are making progress. She has never shown any aggression toward people, but she does bark at strangers. I need dogs who at least look scary, and who run off predators ( animal and human). Dogs do act differently in a pack, than on an individual basis. I hope she learns.

Have you ocnsidered discipline/obedience classes? She is still a puppy, she seems too agressive for a Lab, maybe she has a disease of some kind.

GMN

GMN":6hctp9b3 said:
Have you ocnsidered discipline/obedience classes? She is still a puppy, she seems too agressive for a Lab, maybe she has a disease of some kind.

GMN

When did 6 years old become a puppy?

dun":2xw0klhf said:
GMN":2xw0klhf said:

GMN

When did 6 years old become a puppy?

OOPs, I thought it said 6 months, still obedience classes are a must for any dog, either by a trainer or by the owner.

GMN

Brute 23":22he67p1 said:
GMN":22he67p1 said:

GMN

Labs not agressive? :lol:

Mine fought like a pitbull until she was 8 or 9 years old. The only thing that stopped her was old age. Her and my buddys Lab would take off after a shot bird and fight all the way back. Then they would lay in the same kennel all the way home licking each others faces. That was the 2 toughest Lab bytchs I ever saw.
My Lab bytch will go to her grave an Alpha female.

The meanest , most evil dog I ever met was a lab/chow mix. He belonged to a friend of mine when I was a kid. I would be eating supper at their house and that dog would stare at me, when I would look over at him he would growl and bare his teeth. The family would say, "he won't hurt you, just ignore him." If I met him in the hall, he would growl. But I know he bit at least 2 family members on the hands serious enough to go to the ER. Those people were crazy to keep that dog. My dogs are not allowed to look at me when I eat, and I could never tolerate a dog that showed any aggression towards people.

I have one dog that is 3/4 golden retreiver and 1/4 lab, he looks like a giant black golden retreiver. He is the biggest sweetest goof ball I ever saw. Hides in the bathroom during any hint of bad weather. Barks at rocks. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a good dog.

Yup... out of my Pitts and my dad's lab. The lab is more likely to fight and is more likely to get after some in if the come in the yard. Most people don't see that though. IF the media ain't telling them what to think... they don't think at all. :lol2:

The vast majority of well-bred Labs have wonderful temperaments -- the mean ones show up when people start breeding them just to breed, without concern for health, temperament, conformation, hunting ability, etc. Indescriminant breeding has ruined plenty of good breeds, and Labs are no exception.

milkmaid":v8a0vm92 said:
The vast majority of well-bred Labs have wonderful temperaments -- the mean ones show up when people start breeding them just to breed, without concern for health, temperament, conformation, hunting ability, etc. Indescriminant breeding has ruined plenty of good breeds, and Labs are no exception.

Milkmaid
My Lab was the result of a very carefully considered mating. Her father was a grandmaster pointing lab and her mother was also a champion upland bird hunter. Her mothers (crabby) disposition was far outweighed by her ability to find pheasants. It was a calculated risk, 7 puppies out of her litter came out real nice but none of them hunted like my girl. She has never ever bit a person but she can be he[[ on other dogs. Was it worth it ? For me you bet it was I would take another like her in a heartbeat. That disposition came with a toughness that made her want to hunt with a 3 in stick embedded in her left eye. Not all dogs with less than perfect dispositions are bad dogs , and not all dogs with perfect dispositions are good dogs.

Latest posts