Dog learning new name

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I just acquired a 5 year old toy fox terrier his name was not known , is their a trick to teaching him new name and how long will it take for him to learn his new name ?

Dogs are easy to change names on. Don't worry about it- if you act right he'll pay attention to anything you call him repeatedly.

I have been a dumping ground for unwanted doggies for years, and we often change their name when they arrive. Most dogs have picked it up easily, until I got a couple chihuahuas. They didn't listen to much of anything, no sit, lay down, out, nothing. But worst, they didn't respond to any name(not even the ones they came with)! No come when called, which is scary when dealing with a small dog around livestock! I resorted to treats, which worked great. Simply put, I said their names everytime I put food out for the dogs, so quickly, they'd come running when they heard their names. Then I started calling one name at a time, and again, had a little snack (mine like grapes, has to be low fat cause they tend to be rolly poly :p ) and after a bit of that, they come great when you call. I also treat trained them to sit, lay down, stay, heel, go out, come in, and one begs on command, the other has no interest in tricks. These are the only dogs I've had to treat train, most we can do fine with lots of love and attention, eventually just an associative word (I just say good dog, they get all happy) but I think (strictly theory) they were so used to be handled, petted, held, regardless of their behaviour, it had no meaning to them.
Anyways, try treats, the lil dogs learn real quick to come to attention when they hear their name if it associated with food! Mine don't need the treats anymore, it was just a gimmick to get them to pay attention :)

Latest posts