Dog has worms! need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We are dog sitting my mother-in-law's Schnauzer and when she pooped this morning I saw a bunch of white colored worms crawling all over her poop. They came out with the poop, any advice? I guess a trip to the vet is inevitable. What fun.

Take the "gift" to the vet. They can do a fecal and make sure that they are treating all of the right kinds of worms.

Buy a tube of SafeGuard for horses at the feed store and give the dog a click or two, once a day, for three days in a row.
Then get on a regular schedule of on click, once a month. The vet can also give you Strongent. Suck it up with a surrenge (no needle) and give the dog 1-2 cc/ml in the mouth. Rotate the Safguard and Strongent month to month. The worms can build up an immunity if you don't switch.

if the dog has heartworms you can kill it with ivermectin easily.

Vet will give you all the answers for $50. Heartworm cure is $500. Prevention is less expensive by far.

I was thinking more along the lines of possible tapeworms besides the run of the mill worms

to clarify, i meant if the dog has heartworms you can kill it [the dog] with ivomec.

i agree it sounds like probably tapeworms.

dun":3hd0ib3q said:
I was thinking more along the lines of possible tapeworms besides the run of the mill worms

Tapeworm was the diagnoses. The vet bill was only $25 and the medicine was one pill of Vibrantel--I might have spelled that wrong.

You did the right thing going to the vet. Good deal for $25. I don't think Ivermectin works on tapeworms.

I wouldn't worry about dog sitting - the most common tapeworm in the US is transmitted by fleas not directly from dog to dog.

You can get the tape worm pills at the co-op. You give the dog or cat so many based on the weight of the animal. You can also get Nemex 2 at the co-op that gets the roundworms and hookworms. If you have cats, the dogs will find the poop, eat it, and get worms. Cats eat mice, moles, everything else, and get worms. Both work great! Cheap and easy.

Seems like you have to worm them a second time 2 weeks after the first time when dealing with tapeworms, we always did anyway

Beefy":2mam18wb said:
to clarify, i meant if the dog has heartworms you can kill it [the dog] with ivomec.

Sounds like tapeworms to me . Ivomec can also kill some dogs with collie/shepherd ancestry that have a mutant gene. Pretty much instant death . Many of the heartworm pills will take care of ALL worms now, except for tapeworms.

I have been watching this one for a while.

If everyone here would step back and see how medicines not designed for a certain use are being used where they are not supposed to be used - it is almost like a "see how stupid we can be" scenario - then perhaps we could see why and how there are so many issues with cattle, pig, sheep and goat meds over all the darned country.

The cavalier use of medicines - the misuse of medicines - the routine "off label" use of medicines (exceeding dosages) - does not enhance our image - does not do the job properly in many cases despite the old "having worked here for years" saying - does not breed public confidence in our main product and in the end makes us all look like a bunch of bumpkins when we should be striving for the look of professionals.

You got a dog with worms - take it to the veterinarian and / or use prescribed medicines. You got a cow with a parasite problem use the meds designed to solve this specific issue. You got a horse with a parasite problem use meds designed to solve the issue.

He!! - you guys want to swap meds out? Tell you what - the next time your kid or your spouse gets a tape worm, ring worm and infection or whatever - why not hit him or her with a shot of Ivomec or another drug of your choice that you know worked on at least one other type of animal?

Show me the difference.

Mixing meds and animals - I am far from being perfect - but you guys that do this need to look in the mirror and ask what you are doing to our over all image.

Bez+

TNMasterBeefProducer":22whsjpl said:
Bez+":22whsjpl said:

If everyone here would step back and see how medicines not designed for a certain use are being used where they are not supposed to be used - it is almost like a "see how stupid we can be" scenario - then perhaps we could see why and how there are so many issues with cattle, pig, sheep and goat meds over all the darned country.

The cavalier use of medicines - the misuse of medicines - the routine "off label" use of medicines (exceeding dosages) - does not enhance our image - does not do the job properly in many cases despite the old "having worked here for years" saying - does not breed public confidence in our main product and in the end makes us all look like a bunch of bumpkins when we should be striving for the look of professionals.

You got a dog with worms - take it to the veterinarian and / or use prescribed medicines. You got a cow with a parasite problem use the meds designed to solve this specific issue. You got a horse with a parasite problem use meds designed to solve the issue.

He!! - you guys want to swap meds out? Tell you what - the next time your kid or your spouse gets a tape worm, ring worm and infection or whatever - why not hit him or her with a shot of Ivomec or another drug of your choice that you know worked on at least one other type of animal?

Show me the difference.

Mixing meds and animals - I am far from being perfect - but you guys that do this need to look in the mirror and ask what you are doing to our over all image.

Bez+

Saw a study on the internet where they were administering shots of ivermectin to the people in somalia, and ethiopia in small doses and it was working with no ill effects. What say you about that?

I would say that is a controlled situation, and not one that is self diagnosed by someone with out having some clinical studies being done by people that KNOW what they are doing!!!!
What do you say about that!!!!!

usernametaken":m42d76ud said:
Beefy":m42d76ud said:

Sounds like tapeworms to me . Ivomec can also kill some dogs with collie/shepherd ancestry that have a mutant gene. Pretty much instant death . Many of the heartworm pills will take care of ALL worms now, except for tapeworms.

Thanks i meant to mention that about collies and shepherds too.

dun":21jno2wr said:
Seems like you have to worm them a second time 2 weeks after the first time when dealing with tapeworms, we always did anyway

really? my cat just had to take one pill for tapeworms. but if this is the case i probably need to go worm that steer again.

Beefy":29zqdm0b said:
dun":29zqdm0b said:

really? my cat just had to take one pill for tapeworms. but if this is the case i probably need to go worm that steer again.

Beefy, I think it just depends on what medicine they give you. I have to worm my dogs for tapes once or twice a year because they catch a lot of rabbits, possums, coons, mice, and even an occasional beaver and groundhog. I only give them one pill now but seems like we used to do it twice like Dun mentioned.

Used to have to give ear mite medicine everyday for 3 weeks, which was a pain, and now with the newer medicine only 1 dose and no more ear mites.

Melissa

hopalong":3bxzv92d said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3bxzv92d said:
Bez+":3bxzv92d said:

Show me the difference.

Bez+

Saw a study on the internet where they were administering shots of ivermectin to the people in somalia, and ethiopia in small doses and it was working with no ill effects. What say you about that?

I would say that is a controlled situation, and not one that is self diagnosed by someone with out having some clinical studies being done by people that KNOW what they are doing!!!!
What do you say about that!!!!!

well now,
since it seems a PORTION of my post was the basis of the attack,I say this:
I still recollect a bit and still have the slides from the parasitology lab that was part of my animal sciences degree,so I'll check stool samples and diagnose my own as I see fit.
it would have been nice that when quoted it would have included
course if you aren't sure,the vets a safe bet.
so who's makin who look bad...might wanna check that mirror yerself.
and I resent the "bumpkin" comment.I'm a REDNECK! :cowboy:

Latest posts