Does Rock music no longer exist?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":1a94r7rm said:
Gwar.. now there's a F'ed up band... perhaps sniffed even more glue than WEEN

They claim to be from Antarctica and came to the US on a ship powered by crack and slave labor. :lol:

I agree most new music isn't worth listening to. I do like a few of the newer country singers like Brothers Osborn and Chris Stapleton.

boondocks":3mp55kqd said:
herofan":3mp55kqd said:
......I don't keep up with rock as much, but i did notice that there seems to be nobody new carrying on a ZZ Top or Bruce Springsteen tradition......

I respectfully disagree that there's no one carrying on a ZZ Top or Springsteen tradition. First of all, those guys are still out there touring themselves. (Bruce has a new "album" out as of last week).

Also, anyone saying there is no good rock music (or any good music) coming out now, I dare you to say that after you watch this on full screen with the volume UP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQXP6TDtW0w

Just to be clear, I made the observation that there seems to be no "new" rock music that is mainstream and gobbled up by the teens like it once was, and I'm a little surprised by that.

There will always be all types of music available somewhere. I'm sure there are places where people play music similar to what Jimmie Rodgers did in the 1920s, but its not mainstream.

Traditional country is no longer mainstream either. I notice in the country scene that Alan Jackson is still a well-known name and a big touring draw, but he hasn't had a #1 song since 2008, and his last top ten was 2009, and mainstream radio is no longer interested in traditional country, so no newcomers are filling the void.

herofan":14chgdvs said:
[

Just to be clear, I made the observation that there seems to be no "new" rock music that is mainstream and gobbled up by the teens like it once was, and I'm a little surprised by that.

There will always be all types of music available somewhere. I'm sure there are places where people play music similar to what Jimmie Rodgers did in the 1920s, but its not mainstream.

Traditional country is no longer mainstream either. I notice in the country scene that Alan Jackson is still a well-known name and a big touring draw, but he hasn't had a #1 song since 2008, and his last top ten was 2009, and mainstream radio is no longer interested in traditional country, so no newcomers are filling the void.

I agree with you that the much of what's on the "radio" is garbage. I have Sirius in one car, which helps. Around here, there are (1) the stations which play the same "bro" country over and over; (2) the stations which play the same 12 classic rock songs on repeat (good music but they rarely go "off-list"; (3) really bad, cringe-inducing preachers asking for money; (4) NPR; (5) several stations playing whatever new Katy Perry etc song is out that week; then a few jazz and classical music stations.

So, a lot of stations, but very little new, interesting music. I guess they know what sells, so there must be a lot of people who either aren't looking for new stuff, or consider the Katy Perry etc stuff as meeting their needs for new music.

There are great new artists like Chris Stapleton, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Sarah Jarosz, Rhiannon Giddens, Aoife O'Donovan...and many more. But you won't hear much (or indeed any) of them on the traditional radio stations, more's the pity...

I listen to a lot of rock music, don't like the real hard head-banging stuff but I do like Disturbed (watch the video for their cover of The Sounds of Silence), Collective Soul, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, Audioslave, The Black Keys, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Foo Fighters, Godsmack, Imagine Dragons, Redlight Kings, Pop Evil and Papa Roach to name a few. I don't like EVERYTHING they sing but I pick what I like and make my own playlists. I also listen to a lot of Classic Rock such as the Eagles, and a lot of classic country from Patsy Cline, Waylon, Johnny, and yep, Willie too! :tiphat:

LazyARanch":kl9oui1n said:
I listen to a lot of rock music, don't like the real hard head-banging stuff but I do like Disturbed (watch the video for their cover of The Sounds of Silence), Collective Soul, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, Audioslave, The Black Keys, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Foo Fighters, Godsmack, Imagine Dragons, Redlight Kings, Pop Evil and Papa Roach to name a few. I don't like EVERYTHING they sing but I pick what I like and make my own playlists. I also listen to a lot of Classic Rock such as the Eagles, and a lot of classic country from Patsy Cline, Waylon, Johnny, and yep, Willie too! :tiphat:

Good playlist ya got there. I have heard that Sound of Silence cover and still can't make my mind up on it. Gutsy of them to try it, though! Here's one you can decide on, in like vein: (I think it's cool). Be sure you listen the whole way through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2bnv0SjiQ

(Johnny Cash was the first album I got (after begging for it for my 5th birthday). Used to walk the playground at age 6 singing Sunday Mornin', Comin' Down. Yeah, weird kid).

LazyARanch":rs9jqb2h said:
I've seen Collective Soul live 5 times and I'd go again in a heartbeat.. Of course slightly dependent on venue (acoustics), but in a good place they sounds as good as on CD, and they're fun to watch.
I find it strange.. some music from a genre I typically don't like I can still find great songs in.
You heard of Nightwish? (I think they're a norwegian metal band, and pretty good.. Gethemane, Wishmaster, End of all hope are some of the songs I like)

Boondocks ur depiction of local stations describes here too to a 2. My wife's new vehicle has Sirius in it and I love it but I don't drive enough or her to justify paying after the subscription is up. Really love the Garth channel and outlaw country channel.

New music is like a cross over of pop and hip hop or rock and hip hop or rap. It's like it all got mass produced and ghettoized. Have no interest in it. Then the new country is also mass produced crap. Don't like much country after the year 2000. I like Jason Aldean and Justin Moore but very few other new country artists - Florida Georgia Line and Sam Hunt are like barely disguised rap and hip hop music - disgusting. Bro country gets so boring and old. Then mass produced electronic brad paisley, Tim McGraw, Kenny chesney, Keith urban stuff is a complete snore. I don't care if I never hear another song from them again. Even the ones that are supposed to be not like the others still have that overly produced sound like Eric church or Dierks bentley. And I can't stand that no talent only got a singing gig cuz of who is daddy is yuppie country pop thomas Rhett uggh.

NECowboy":273946cb said:
Boondocks ur depiction of local stations describes here too to a 2. My wife's new vehicle has Sirius in it and I love it but I don't drive enough or her to justify paying after the subscription is up. Really love the Garth channel and outlaw country channel.

New music is like a cross over of pop and hip hop or rock and hip hop or rap. It's like it all got mass produced and ghettoized. Have no interest in it. Then the new country is also mass produced crap. Don't like much country after the year 2000. I like Jason Aldean and Justin Moore but very few other new country artists - Florida Georgia Line and Sam Hunt are like barely disguised rap and hip hop music - disgusting. Bro country gets so boring and old. Then mass produced electronic brad paisley, Tim McGraw, Kenny chesney, Keith urban stuff is a complete snore. I don't care if I never hear another song from them again. Even the ones that are supposed to be not like the others still have that overly produced sound like Eric church or Dierks bentley. And I can't stand that no talent only got a singing gig cuz of who is daddy is yuppie country pop thomas Rhett uggh.

Hey thanks for the reminder that I need to call Sirius tonight and "cancel." Just fyi, when you call at the end of the trial period, they will always (literally, always) give you a deal on renewing it. Just tell them you don't listen to it much. We have it in a car that only gets driven maybe 1.5 hrs/wk, so while we like Sirius, it's not worth the full price. I put it on the calendar to cancel it a few days' ahead of each renewal date, then call them up. Usually they'll renew it for about half or a third off.

Yeah, bro country gets old fast. Some of the Eric Church stuff is decent, but the rest all sounds alike and involves a pick-up, female in jean shorts, back roads, alcohol. Add a bit of religion and a flag, maybe a reference to dear old grandpa and/or a dog, and you got about every single song on "country" radio today. Don't know why they can't see people are hungry for a change, something more (dare I say) unique or authentic. I guess a lot of what I listen to anymore would be more properly called roots rock or Americana or singer-songwriter or bluesy stuff...

boondocks":11ghhqhu said:
Yeah, bro country gets old fast. Some of the Eric Church stuff is decent, but the rest all sounds alike and involves a pick-up, female in jean shorts, back roads, alcohol. Add a bit of religion and a flag, maybe a reference to dear old grandpa and/or a dog, and you got about every single song on "country" radio today. Don't know why they can't see people are hungry for a change, something more (dare I say) unique or authentic. I guess a lot of what I listen to anymore would be more properly called roots rock or Americana or singer-songwriter or bluesy stuff...

That's why I love Chris LeDoux. Wouldn't have become famous unless Garth Brooks mentioned him in a song and Nashville came out to check his music. They thought cowboy country wouldn't sell and boy were they wrong. Many of Chris' songs were written and sold by his parents to western stores, feed stores etc before he became mainstream. And his songs are authentic and from his experience and that's something that resonates with me.

Well when it comes to rock CCR is all I really care for guess that is why I like iHeartRadio pick CCR along with Confederate Railroad,Merle,Conway along with several others

boondocks":cox19oke said:
NECowboy":cox19oke said:

Hey thanks for the reminder that I need to call Sirius tonight and "cancel." Just fyi, when you call at the end of the trial period, they will always (literally, always) give you a deal on renewing it. Just tell them you don't listen to it much. We have it in a car that only gets driven maybe 1.5 hrs/wk, so while we like Sirius, it's not worth the full price. I put it on the calendar to cancel it a few days' ahead of each renewal date, then call them up. Usually they'll renew it for about half or a third off.

We do the same thing....renewed it on the wife's car last month and got another discount by deleting the channels we never listen to. Made it pretty affordable.

TexasBred":22kko07m said:
We do the same thing....renewed it on the wife's car last month and got another discount by deleting the channels we never listen to. Made it pretty affordable.

I didn't know you had the option of deleting channels. They renewed ours for 28 bucks for 5 months, which I guess is fair....

boondocks":9b42or39 said:
TexasBred":9b42or39 said:

I didn't know you had the option of deleting channels. They renewed ours for 28 bucks for 5 months, which I guess is fair....
Yeah you sure can....just let them know which ones to turn off.

If you enjoy classic rock as I do and older country/western you might check out Texas/ Red Dirt type of music. Some really good stuff in my opinion. I cant stand new pop country and I despise pop and hip hop. so I like texas/ red dirt music. Bands like Turnpike troubadours, Jason Boland and the stragglers, Ryan Bingham, Stoney Larue are some of my favorites

LazyARanch":11qjv10c said:

Excellent taste! And I do love the classics. My husband was making fun of me the other day for wearing my Stones VooDoo Lounge Tour t-shirt from 1994. Hey, it's still in semi-decent condition and I refuse to get rid of it :)

Latest posts