No interest in a fan like this....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
This guy has nerve. Flying 17k plus feet with a fan on his back. He is looking down on the clouds.

A young man that I was acquainted with died about ten years ago flying a similar contraption. It was more like a go-cart with a parachute. Left a wife and three kids behind.

These kit contraptions can be deadly.....This guy could have bought a ship load of Lear jets.

Lots of those around here. There are a couple hundred acres of cropland across the road from me. Irregular shaped with trees around the edges and a few trees in the field. Twice in the past few years, one of those has flown into a tree and ended up taking a helicopter ride to the hospital. They start out with the "go-cart" system and then move up to the fan strapped on their back. This year, one landed in my brother's hay field. Said the spark plug wire came off. I don't know if there is any training required or not. In the field across the road, they fly the go cart version just above the crop and then pull up at the end. Pretending to be a crop duster, maybe. Don't think I could stand that level of excitement.

One winter I helped a rancher friend. He winters his cows down along the Columbia River by one of the big hydro electric dams. There was a cliff that people used to para glide off of. A lot of up drafts in the wind there. People would get up on a parachute and float around in the up drafts. But what goes up must come down. There are lots of rock cliffs along the Columbia gorge. Para gliders had been known to glide into the side of a cliff. With the hydro electric dam and other dams upstream there is a number of major power lines. Coming back down to earth they have to thread their way through the power lines often with significant wind blowing. And of course there is the river. Well over half a mile wide and below the dam it is moving rather fast. What some people call fun?