Does Rock music no longer exist?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I am a huge music fan, but I will admit that I haven't kept up with music of any genre for a long time; I find that I like the older music better. I know that traditional country music seems to have taken the back seat, but i just wondered recently after listening to an oldies rock station, who are these guys modern counterparts?

Let me be clear that I'm talking about the absence of rock in new, mainstream music. I'm sure all the old guys are still playing, and I'm sure there are young guys playing rock in clubs and releasing songs, but is seems that rock is no longer popular among the younger crowd like it has always been in past generations. Where are the modern Eagles, Stones, and Springsteens? I probably wouldn't even care for new rock, but I find it odd that it doesn't even seem to exist anymore.

All I seem to see are things like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

I guess every generation feels the same way, but I feel like the music of my youth has died. It will never return.

It seems to me that all country, rock, and pop are now the same music. If a singer can go from big time in country to big time in pop with in the year then it is the same music. I think pop is the most popular now instead of rock.

I hardly listen to radio stations at all anymore. When in the truck I listen to XM radio. Old music of the 60's and some from the 70's. Just haven't been able to get into the new country or the ghetto music (hip hop and rap).

I have three sports radio stations I listen to in the truck, never listen to music in the house. The only good rock was early 70's to early 80's. Beatles, but liked the late Beatles much better, Stones, I could go on for a while so etc.

Other than rockabilly, the terms rock and music don;t belong in the same sentence

I like a wide variety of music from opera to 50's rock to jazz. I like country and blue grass UNTIL someone starts to sing, then I'm gone-exceptions: Patsy Kline, Marty Robbins and Willie Nelson. And yes, "real" rock is gone, but not forgotten.

Best stuff out there is progressive rock in my opinion. There is a lot of it but it's not popular. Most popular progressive bands are probably Dream Theater and Tool. Superb musicianship.

Shaz, you're right about Dream Theater.. the solo in "Home" is amazing!

I don't listen to the radio either, listen to a classic rock station and they just overplay the same dozen songs by the same dozen bands OVER and OVER ad nauseum (there was SO much music from the 60's and 70's but it just doesn't get airtime)... I'm a big Tom Petty fan for somewhat older rock, going a little newer I love Collective Soul.

Nesikep":3awdxyrk said:
Shaz, you're right about Dream Theater.. the solo in "Home" is amazing!

I don't listen to the radio either, listen to a classic rock station and they just overplay the same dozen songs by the same dozen bands OVER and OVER ad nauseum (there was SO much music from the 60's and 70's but it just doesn't get airtime)... I'm a big Tom Petty fan for somewhat older rock, going a little newer I love Collective Soul.

Nesi,
Check out "Mercy Falls" by Seventh Wonder. Like Dream Theater but not so self-indulgent.

The good rock music from the 60's and early 70's just makes me depressed thinking about all the years that have flown by. I never did care for heavy metal. Country..... someone is either lying, dyeing, of crying. So when in the car I listen to Christian music on KLOVE. Positive up beat Christian music.

And I can and have driven by myself half way across the country without any music at all. Just me and my thoughts.

Latest posts