Dirty headed Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
Our bull is 3 years now got him at 8 months old. Reg Black Angus.Even when he was a little guy he would rub his head and face on the ground. We thought he was doing it to keep the flys away.but he does it all times of year.Not constantly I notice it a couple times a month.Last week his whole head was white with snow. none of the others do this. Has anyone else have one do this?

Cows do it too. I just figured they're trying to get purdied up for a party or something.
It could be a scent thing, but I still think it's just vanity and wanting to be "looken goood"

dun

Thanks dun that make sence being that he is the only male we have. has to look good for a lot of ladys.I was a little afraid it was a domineering thing.

dun":3ocjlejg said:
Cows do it too. I just figured they're trying to get purdied up for a party or something.
It could be a scent thing, but I still think it's just vanity and wanting to be "looken goood"

dun

Dun - I think your cows just like you and want to look their best . :lol:

My bull is a registered black angus to. He is always rubbing his head on something. He has got into this kick here lately where he will unroll the entire round bale when i sit it out.

I was working on a corral the other day and sit a couple of big 10' telephone poles and he was rubbing on them. I think they do it to scratch their head.

Why do cows/bulls lick and dig?
I have always heard it was a mineral or healing thing.
But I have also heard it was a playful dominates gesture.
Take your pick.

You might want to read this.
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/clay2.htm

Both my bulls and cows do it and they always have mineral supplement in front of them.
Go figure!
:roll:

Rubbing on other things, such as trees, posts, etc is a sign of lice (or other external parasites).

Stepper":1xb6myr1 said:
My bull is a registered black angus to. He is always rubbing his head on something. He has got into this kick here lately where he will unroll the entire round bale when i sit it out.

I was working on a corral the other day and sit a couple of big 10' telephone poles and he was rubbing on them. I think they do it to scratch their head.

A lot of that head scrathin is also mock fighting gestures.

The last bull we had didn't do much of the head rubbing thing until we took him to our other place. Here there weren't any bulls close by. Out there there were bulls in all but one of the ajoining pastures. I also noticed that he would walk around and make "the lion sound" as would the other bulls.

I pointed the change in his actions out to my husband and he said that the bull was just trying to let the other bulls know he wasn't a cow.(He kinda looked like one) :shock: :D

Just watch them when you plow fresh earth....can't recognize some of the calves for the dirt.
Have one big steer that has a a favorite tree that he rubs all the time. Some things we just don't question if it does no harm.
just my two bits worth....DMc

Holmesfarm":3kizhuob said:
Our bull is 3 years now got him at 8 months old. Reg Black Angus.Even when he was a little guy he would rub his head and face on the ground. We thought he was doing it to keep the flys away.but he does it all times of year.Not constantly I notice it a couple times a month.Last week his whole head was white with snow. none of the others do this. Has anyone else have one do this?

I have a Jersey gomer that does it when a cow is commig into heat. Really loves a good mud puddle, he will cover his entire head. Kind of like putting on his working clothes.

Yes, my bull and cows do that quite a bit in fresh dirt, or on the pond dam. Even some of the calves get their head dirty; who knows why. My bull has this one evergreen bush close to a fence he loves buttin and rubbin his head on. I think its like changing after shaves... :lol:

We've even gone so far and to sink and 8ft railroad tie 4 ft in the ground in concrete and wrap it in burlap - to encourage the bulls to rub on it instead of on the fences,gates,feeders and everything else. In the summer I soak the burlap in fly dope and they like that alot. But when they're in with the cows they do like to dig holes and then rub thier heads in the dirt, mud, manure - whatever they think makes them look sexy I guess! It's alot of work to protect your facilities and equipment from them.

I think mostly they're feeling frisky, playful and basicly just in a good mood.

I agree - they can be playful ; escpecailly the younger fellas. I'm always amazed how patient the old guys are when the yearlings or 2 yr olds want to do a little head buttin'. The big bulls are most of the time really pretty gentle with the smaller ones when they are all pastured together. We have 13 mature bulls right now in pasture with 6 coming 2yr olds and they can be pretty comical to watch. Of course that attitude will undoubtedly change later this spring when they go out with thier respective cows!

Holmesfarm":23w6ca81 said:

Bulls will be bulls. :lol:

Caustic Burno":3a3jmfgw said:
Stepper":3a3jmfgw said:

A lot of that head scrathin is also mock fighting gestures.

Mister Caustic Burno is right. seen it a hudred times year after year. Aint know big thing just wait til hes putten his head up ta a cows breeden hole an she puts a pile O dung on his head! :shock: Then yur goona have a real dirty headed bull!!
Don,t worry yurself over it.

Mine likes to help me remove stumps and the roots along the alley I have from one field to another. No root or stump has ever won either, I just wish he would be more organized in his work. :lol: :lol:

Like this?
9-1.jpg

PS those ain't shadows ;-)

Latest posts