Difference between rich and poor people

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live.

They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?"

"It was great, Dad."

"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.

"Oh yeah," said the son.

"So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end.

We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night.

Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight.

We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.

We buy our food, but they grow theirs.

We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

The boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have.

Had some dove hunters down from the Houston area recently and they were just amazed by all the stars out at night. I asked them if they couldn't see them in Houston, also. They said they can't see the stars at night because of all the city lights! Isn't that sad! There is just nothing like a clear, star filled, sky. Remember when you're looking at one, you're being blessed with something that not everyone gets to see.

That was a good one! And so true!
I live 30 miles south of Houston and for the past 12 years we have been able to sit out in our front yard and see the stars, now with the encroaching development (Houston keeps getting closer and closer to us) we no longer can see the stars for the street light and lights from the highway. We own a ranch in South Texas and every chance we get we travel the 5 hours to get the opportunity to look at the nighttime sky. I love nothing more than sitting outside watching the sun go down and being able to see the Milky Way and all of the satellites that pass over not to mention the falling stars! It gets so dark at our place that you'd almost swear that you can 't see your hand in front of your face when there is no moon.

I love to hear my 10 year old try to explain to his friends how "cool" it is to live out in the country. He's spent just enough time in town with his friends to really appreciate where we live and the advantages it has.

I also had friends of friends come over one time. The lady steps out of the vehicle and looks around wide eyed. She finally says, "It must be really dark out here at night." It honestly took me a long time to figure out what she meant. Turns out she was from Manhattan and had never been away from the lights of the city before. I find that very sad!!!

cattlemom":3udzqj7n said:
I also had friends of friends come over one time. The lady steps out of the vehicle and looks around wide eyed. She finally says, "It must be really dark out here at night." It honestly took me a long time to figure out what she meant. Turns out she was from Manhattan and had never been away from the lights of the city before. I find that very sad!!!

That is indeed very sad. Great post, A6Gal

When my husband and I moved out here last year he couldn't sleep without the porch light on, said it was too dark. He's lived in the city nearly all his life. I, on the other hand love being back in the dark where there are stars. I had the stars until I was 22 and I sure missed them the 7 years I slept without them. I love being far enough away from everyone that I have no curtains drawn on my bedroom and I can lay in bed at night watching the stars and the moon. In the morning I can wake up to see the mountains. Yes, God has blessed me greatly.

Thats one of the first things our friends notice too..how dark it is at night. I just tell them it's better that way, as the neighbors cant see me running to close the barn doors or stuff like that in my underwear! It sure is nice to just walk out on the patio and relieve yourself in the morning, with nothing but the cows able to see you. Wife keeps asking why we even put bathrooms in the house?

It sure is nice to just walk out on the patio and relieve yourself in the morning

It's good to know my son isn't the only one who does this! I'd even considered having him see a shrink over it! I could never understand why he'd go out the back door instead of taking three steps more to the bathroom door. He said it conserved water. Drove me nuts! Not too mention the dead grass off my back porch that's finally greening up since he's been gone to bootcamp.

Men, I'll never understand 'em. I guess that's likewise, huh!

A6gal":1v9jvy8v said:

It sure is amazing how, when a girl or guy finds a good one, we seem to balance each out so nicely, isn't it? :D

Wow... that's really good! I live in the town and all the farmers out there really got it lucky (in some ways). Thankfully i'm dating a farmer so thats awesome! But i will never forget the view from their kitchen... rolling green hills with trees, sheep, horses and cattle... that is one of the best views in the world in my opinion. Unlike mine... street light, road and another house.

A6gal":2pjdbye9 said:
It sure is nice to just walk out on the patio and relieve yourself in the morning

It's good to know my son isn't the only one who does this! I'd even considered having him see a shrink over it! I could never understand why he'd go out the back door instead of taking three steps more to the bathroom door. He said it conserved water. Drove me nuts! Not too mention the dead grass off my back porch that's finally greening up since he's been gone to bootcamp.

One way is natural. The other is not.

Latest posts