Diesels and chips

Help Support CattleToday:

sounds like a good deal. in& out too? i had to r & r mine. lifetime warranty cant be beat. also make sure your gettin a new converter as i have found the hard way that they seem to suffer the most. i am able to tow 18000 lbs on overdrive now though. 3 converters later. my converter alone cost 800$ its a sonnex triple disc.likely be more than youll need givin the use of yer truck. go for the 1700 deal. thats sweet. need any tips r&r it feel free to ask. im sure me or diamond can help ya out. the transfer case is heavy so be carful if yer doin it yerself

dieselbeef":3a8k9jvg said:
sounds like a good deal. in& out too? i had to r & r mine. lifetime warranty cant be beat. also make sure your gettin a new converter as i have found the hard way that they seem to suffer the most. i am able to tow 18000 lbs on overdrive now though. 3 converters later. my converter alone cost 800$ its a sonnex triple disc.likely be more than youll need givin the use of yer truck. go for the 1700 deal. thats sweet. need any tips r&r it feel free to ask. im sure me or diamond can help ya out. the transfer case is heavy so be carful if yer doin it yerself
I was a parts changer in high school but never a mechanic, so I will not be tuching it. The mechanic said that it was in good shape but was time for a rebuild. He said that a simple kit was all that it needed. He may not be replacing the torque converter though, I'll ask in the AM. What is R&R?

remove and replace..sorry bout that. if hes warratying it leave the decision on the converter up to him. cant beat dat

Tod,

If you've got the extra coins, do yourself a favor and do the torque converter now. The stock converter is a terrible unit, about 76% or 78% efficient. Find a decent 83% or 86% unit. They can be had for 4 or 500 bucks. You'll get another 10 - 20 HP to the ground, and will give you another fuel economy boost. Depending on how many miles you make, the converter will pay for itself.

Ideally you want an ATS or DTT converter, but those units are extremely spendy and overkill if you never plan on stepping past an EZ. Many people have had luck with Goerend as well.

Cowpoke,

The EZ between 01 and 02 are the same program, but the MAP and datalink plugs are different. Edge used to make an adapter, but I don't know if they still do. Call Rip at http://www.sourceautomotive.biz and see if you can score a better deal on an EZ. Good man to deal with. Honest. I see he's got an 01 Drag Comp in his bargain bin for $550 US. Heckuva deal on that. He's also got an 02 EZ for $300. I dunno what year your truck is, but he should be able to set you up.

Rod

go to the cummins forum or the turdo diesel rescource forum and youll get an ez for 350 or 400 new. the 01 and 02 wont interchange.they make an adaptor plug like diamond said. its the plugs that are different. i just sold mine for 250 plus shippin to a guy in n.h. and bought drag comp. wow! thats a box. but its hard on mileage and trannys. fully adj from 60 hp /120torque to 120 hp/350 torque. or turn it off and go stock. very adj. timing parameters as well as fueling curves.
as for the converter youll get reamed by dtt gorend or suncoast for that matter. high priced units. overkill til yer crankin big ponies. for yer uses tod id go with a sonnex. bout half the price. you can get a triple disc for the same price as a single from them other guys with the same warranty. i pull 18000 # backhoe on a 25 ft gooseneck all day. sometimes 200 mi each way and its not even burning the fluid. in overdrive. sonnex has a website too. check yer pms you can call me if you like i might have some of them numbers at home but i got em online so you can find em

I'll second the sonnax recommend. I always forget about them, but they build some good stock and near stock HP converters. A good friend who owns a tranny rebuild shop uses them for local work.

I forgot to mention Tod that you may want to chat with whoevers doing the rebuild on your tranny and ask what he does differently than stock. I always liked to see another 5 or 6 PSI line pressure, more oil to the OD section, and some mods to the valve body to firm up shifts. The stock shifts are a little too slow.

Rod

as well as adding plates to the drumms. ithink they can go at least in.

hes gettin a lifetime warranty though so i wouldnt worry too much if the builder is confident...then i would be too.

dieselbeef":22a1nett said:
hes gettin a lifetime warranty though so i wouldnt worry too much if the builder is confident...then i would be too.

<chuckle> Y'gotta check the fine print. We never did automatics through the shop, but always recommended DTT for the simple reason that they had no fine print on their warranties. We had customers that went cheap, got "lifetime" guarantees only to find out that the shop would renege on the deal through some kind of fine print.

The best I ever saw was a no towing in OD clause, which was fine, except for the shop took burnt oil as the evidence that the customer was towing in OD, not the fact that they set the trans up with too little line pressure and the clutches were slipping, even in the lower gears.

Rod

This is what I sent to dieselbeef.

Thanks for all of the help. I talked to the people working on my transmission and they are replacing the torque converter. The one that they are putting in is an upgrade from what was in there but it is also one that was recommended by Chrysler, so I doubt that it is much of an upgrade. The converter will be covered by the warranty so if I do tear it up it will be covered. They will not warranty anything outside of what is recommended even if it is better. So I'm going to stick with what they have.

Thanks again,
Tod

Latest posts