Diesel shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

Wasn't coal oil another name for kerosene?
YES!!
At least that's what my uncle in Yantis Tx called it back in 2008 when he gave me one of those wick type kerosene heaters.
"Don, ya want a coal oil heater?"

(I had no idea what he meant by the term and I never did get that heater to work without it smoking like an old freight train)

"Coal oil is a shale oil obtained from the destructive distillation of cannel coal, mineral wax, or bituminous shale, once used widely for illumination.

Chemically similar to the more refined, petroleum-derived kerosene, it consists mainly of several hydrocarbons of the alkane series, with 10 to 16 carbon atoms in each molecule, with a boiling point of 175 °C to 325 °C (347 °F to 617 °F), higher than gasoline or the petroleum ethers, and lower than the oils.

Because kerosene was first derived from cannel coal, classified as terrestrial type of oil shale, it continued to be popularly referred to as "coal oil" even after production shifted to petroleum as a feedstock. Refined hydrocarbons of the alkane series with 10 to 16 carbon atoms are the same thing whether taken from coal or petroleum."

More disinformation. Rmc That wonderful pollutant CO2 does fabulous things when injected into tired old fields. See Denbury Reources for more info.
And just what exactly is disinformation?
Are you trying to claim water injection doesn't work?
Or are you claiming fracking doesn't?

Nah just trying to be a smart ass. The information is all true. All those mentioned work along with many others. Leave the oil field professionals alone and they will provide all the hydrocarbons we need. The innovation is as good as anything that comes out of Silicone Valley. They can drill straight down 5000' feet then steer the drill bit bit on the end of a two mile string of pipe horizontally through a 8' wide oil charged batch of sand as easily as you or I can back a trailer up to the loading chute.

Well a new diesel bus costs about 250/280K and have probably gone up. Plus all the infrastructure involved using internal combustion engines. Fuel and oil aren't cheap, filters etc. And electrics have a lot less moving parts and are easier to work on. Lifespan should be improved.

There's reasons trains are powered by electric motors even when those motors are powered by diesel generators.

I also know there are downsides to electric. Battery disposal/recycle comes to mind.

I don't know what the actual figures are... but I'd like to see them.
There are not enough rare earth minerals available to make the numbers of batteries to meet the needs of this wonderful transition. I saw an invoice to replace the batteries in a Chevy Volt. 29,000. This will be great.

Nah just trying to be a smart ass. The information is all true. All those mentioned work along with many others. Leave the oil field professionals alone and they will provide all the hydrocarbons we need. The innovation is as good as anything that comes out of Silicone Valley. They can drill straight down 5000' feet then steer the drill bit bit on the end of a two mile string of pipe horizontally through a 8' wide oil charged batch of sand as easily as you or I can back a trailer up to the loading chute.
You haven't seen some of the people down at the sale barn trying to back their trailers...

I probably posted this one before..

(remember the old singleshot days, with a little paper graph with the pinhole in it?)

Last edited:
One of the issues is that we waste so much. Many of our resources have a limited supply in the short term. Took millions of years to make those fossil fuels. We tend to use resources like there is an unlimited supply. Reported that we have a few hundred years of coal and about 50 years of oil at current usage rates. What happens then? Aluminum, copper and iron - what happens when we dig it all up?
We can calculate how much electricity we need to replace oil, but I am sure that there are opportunities to use less energy regardless of source. How many people drive to the store for one or a few items many times per week or even per day? How much stuff gets buried in landfills that could be recycled? How much energy could be saved with better planning? Do people use the most efficient vehicle for most of their travel? People tend to have bigger houses to be heated and cooled than 50 years ago. There are lots of opportunities probably.
I've lived around folks that use half as much or less than Americans. Average daily intake of everything, including fuel and food and housing space etc has probably increased by 30% since I was a kid. But politicians can campaign on a reduction of consumption and see how far that will get them.

Unfortunately, for most people, cost of living crises like the ones they have in Germany and the UK will be the only way consumption can be reduced. Hope we can learn through observation and not the hard way.

I've lived around folks that use half as much or less than Americans. Average daily intake of everything, including fuel and food and housing space etc has probably increased by 30% since I was a kid. But politicians can campaign on a reduction of consumption and see how far that will get them.

Unfortunately, for most people, cost of living crises like the ones they have in Germany and the UK will be the only way consumption can be reduced. Hope we can learn through observation and not the hard way.

do you think the elite are going to give up their consumption? Most people over there can't even heat their homes. Thats not 'consuming too much'... thats a basic need. meanwhile.. illegals coming in get put in 4 and 5 star hotels and are living in comfort.

Lets look at the elites citing climate crisis but all flying private jets left and right to the climate meeting. climate crisis but we all have beach mansions. hey.. who cares that we have 3..4...5... 10 mansions around the world..

do you think the elite are going to give up their consumption? Most people over there can't even heat their homes. Thats not 'consuming too much'... thats a basic need. meanwhile.. illegals coming in get put in 4 and 5 star hotels and are living in comfort.

Lets look at the elites citing climate crisis but all flying private jets left and right to the climate meeting. climate crisis but we all have beach mansions. hey.. who cares that we have 3..4...5... 10 mansions around the world..
That's a very liberal way of thinking.
Everyone gets a trophy.
I feel like the more successful I am the more I can consume. You seem to be of the everyone gets a trophy and anyone more successful than me is bad. Heat for your house and the house itself is something to be earned. But if the squeaky wheel gets the grease, you should be good.

We used to haul them in the truck bed.
us too. started with wood rails but switched to steel later in the '60 F100. They were pretty beat up but in those days, the floor of the truck beds and rear bumper sat a lot closer to the ground and it wasn't 'too' bad loading. I may have a picture of it somewhere..

We used to haul them in the truck bed.
When I first started going to the sales here in Va, 75% of the animals were hauled in on trucks. The stockyards have many more places to back trucks up to than for trailers. Granted the semi's all are loaded at the docks... but now there are 10 trailers for every truck that comes in. Most every farm had a dirt berm that they could back their truck up to, to load or unload and the more prosperous farms had a loading chute that they could back the truck up to at the barn. We had a portable loading chute that you cranked that would angle up that you would put at a catch pen and then be able to load the cattle by walking them up it into the truck.

We had a '53 GMC 2 ton flat bed with racks on that I hauled all the pigs on... Had a ramp and chute and they all learned to run up the chute and on the truck for feed for 1-2 weeks before the feeder pig sale, and on sale day it took 5 minutes to load 10-30 8 week feeder pigs. Guys could not believe me when I said I didn't need help "catching the pigs" ..... finally one came by to "help" this "poor 'lil ole' gal" .... and stood with his mouth hanging open when I got them loaded without even getting my clean, go to town clothes, dirty..... back in my younger single days when some of the guys were trying to "impress me" and see what they might "get" out of the "helping out".....
Those were the days....

Been around elites, too. Just like normal people, you've got your good and bad. Been around one that owns a 100 million plus company and gives all the profits away consistently. Nobody really knows about it, though.

Some are really bad, too. Easy to find those in the news.

But unlike normal people, many of them have certain abilities that tend to be very rare. Been amazed when I witnessed them in action a few times. I then realized there will always be elites.

Another thing I learned is that most people who criticize them act the exact same way when they are given the same money/power/opportunities.

Seems to me that we need to build strong communities that can find the right changes at the right price and pace and make sure the proper dependencies are in place to make it all sustainable. Might want to encourage those communities to wish other communities success as well, even if we don't agree on some things (like cattle color or breed:)).

Makes me sad that I haven't had the skills to be a part of something like that myself. Also seems that we need those elites to do it because, often, all we can do is criticize out of our feelings of helplessness and frustration rather than offer better solutions. Hope some of those elites care enough to give it a heartfelt go.

Many of the folks saying it's currently too expensive to go sustainable seem to be right. Thing is, what we've been doing these past 100 years is not sustainable either. Think about it: Can the over 7 billion people on the planet consume the same amount as the average American? Are we going to go around the world saying, 'We got to this consumption level first and deserve this level and even increases to our consumption in perpetuity, but you all need to accept low consumption for yourselves and your descendants in perpetuity, even though you work longer hours, on average are healthier, and get better test scores than us Americans.'? Hmmm…

Lord help us and the elites find a way (or set of ways) to work together and move forward is all I can say.

Last edited:
YES!!
At least that's what my uncle in Yantis Tx called it back in 2008 when he gave me one of those wick type kerosene heaters.
"Don, ya want a coal oil heater?"

(I had no idea what he meant by the term and I never did get that heater to work without it smoking like an old freight train)
Must have forgot to trim your wick.

Latest posts