Diesel shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

Bingham canyon mine may not be a lithium mine but is one of the few mines in the us that produces minerals for the "green" products.
It's highest volume produced is copper.
Electric vehicles use a much larger amount of copper then combustion engine vehicles. It also produces gold,molybdenum and one of the only places in the world,outside of China that mines tellurium. All are required in the production of " green energy" including electric vehicles and solar panels.
Good I'm glad to see we're getting set up to produce that stuff at home.
I really like the idea of importing alot of the dirty stuff, steel, oil etc. You know don't shyt in your own yard. But we need to keep national security in mind. Diversity and self reliance.are important

According to Google it is the worlds largest excavation, and has been in production for 116 years. So…. Long before "green energy" was a thing.

If it isn't grown it's mined
Actually the area has been mined since at least the 1860's
Mined for years by individual claim owners using tunnels. At least two complete towns have been engulfed by the largest open pit mine in the world . It is easily viewed from space.
And now almost 150 years later they are circling back to the way they started underground mining in tunnels.
Never has produced much lead as your initial post claimed.
Doesnt matter what product or reason it was mined in the past .
Only thing keeping it open and mined today is the demand for minerals from the "green " economy, mainly copper molybdenum and gold , more recently tellurium. Mine has been on the verge of closing for decades but the demand for green minerals has kept it producing.

Actually the area has been mined since at least the 1860's
Mined for years by individual claim owners using tunnels. At least two complete towns have been engulfed by the largest open pit mine in the world . It is easily viewed from space.
And now almost 150 years later they are circling back to the way they started underground mining in tunnels.
Never has produced much lead as your initial post claimed.
Doesnt matter what product or reason it was mined in the past .
Only thing keeping it open and mined today is the demand for minerals from the "green " economy, mainly copper molybdenum and gold , more recently tellurium. Mine has been on the verge of closing for decades but the demand for green minerals has kept it producing.
I really have no idea what you are arguing about lol

Completely shut down operation in 1985 , in mid 1990s expected to have no more then 25 years before mined out. Future operations called into question in 2013 when a land slid in mine so large it caused earthquakes occurred.

Last edited:
I think electric is good in some ways and will suit many American's just fine. It has downsides for sure, but I'm not totally against it. Even if partly powered by fossil fuels and manufacturing factored in, I think it's been proven that an EV is a net positive for total emissions over the long term.

I don't think it's okay for the government to subsidize and litigate them down our throats. If they were really that great it wouldn't be necessary. There are still many long term hurdles, lousy range and lack of lithium being the big ones. Plus they already can't build enough of them to meet demand.

I think electric is good in some ways and will suit many American's just fine. It has downsides for sure, but I'm not totally against it. Even if partly powered by fossil fuels and manufacturing factored in, I think it's been proven that an EV is a net positive for total emissions over the long term.

I don't think it's okay for the government to subsidize and litigate them down our throats. If they were really that great it wouldn't be necessary. There are still many long term hurdles, lousy range and lack of lithium being the big ones. Plus they already can't build enough of them to meet demand.
Electric platforms have more versatility in some ways. I've heard there have been some designs where a consumer buys a body and rents the chassis. If something goes wrong with the chassis it gets replaced and you keep your car/truck body.

Gotta wonder if the transition we are going through, and going to be going through, is similar to the way the world suddenly went from actual horse power to mechanical horse power. People then had to adapt or die. Businesses changed or ceased to exist. My own father chased the last horse drawn fire engines down the street.

The only constant in life is change...
Know all about what happens to families and their ranches when they don't change. Last one in my family to own any ag land.

Not against change, just think it needs to be smart. What many of the advocates of change fail to mention, though, is that most new ideas fizzle and die at a loss. Finding the right ways to change is tough.

I've looked at the electric vehicle thing 3 times now. Still doesn't make financial sense for a middle class person. It's mainly for the well-off trying to make a political statement (at least when we don't have a fuel crisis or massive inflation). And, the thing is, I store more carbon on my farm that they save with their vehicles:).

But agree that we are going through a significant time. So far we are at natural disasters, pandemic, war, inflation/economic crisis. Not wanting to be alarmist, but people people realize that civilizations of the past have collapsed under similar circumstances. Rooting' for the USA to reinvent itself yet again and show what makes it so special.

Hoping for real leaders that can point us in the right direction. Blessings on everyone as they exercise their right to vote in the coming days!

But if electric vehicles come to be considered a utility-type need like water or electricity itself, government will need to be involved. Buses and even taxis/Uber might make sense. But government involvement should lead to the cheapest cost possible, not subsidies.

No one argues government shouldn't be involved in electricity, water, or roads, etc. I'd be fine with involvement in vehicles if they showed cost was lowered by 20-30% over private companies because they were able to get the new infrastructure in place better and involvement produced a more shock-proof market. But unlikely, because cars vary from a utility to a luxury, so leave it to the private market in my opinion.

Automobiles with internal combustion engines had a lot of the same problems when they first came on the market. They could never have become as dominant as they did without huge government investments in modernizing roads. When congress first started proposing millions of dollars for paving roads a little over a hundred years ago, there were people who thought the money would be better spent elsewhere, and rural people complained that their tax dollars were being spent to benefit city people and their impractical toys.

The specific topics change, but the main themes are the same.

One of the issues is that we waste so much. Many of our resources have a limited supply in the short term. Took millions of years to make those fossil fuels. We tend to use resources like there is an unlimited supply. Reported that we have a few hundred years of coal and about 50 years of oil at current usage rates. What happens then? Aluminum, copper and iron - what happens when we dig it all up?
We can calculate how much electricity we need to replace oil, but I am sure that there are opportunities to use less energy regardless of source. How many people drive to the store for one or a few items many times per week or even per day? How much stuff gets buried in landfills that could be recycled? How much energy could be saved with better planning? Do people use the most efficient vehicle for most of their travel? People tend to have bigger houses to be heated and cooled than 50 years ago. There are lots of opportunities probably.

One of the issues is that we waste so much. Many of our resources have a limited supply in the short term. Took millions of years to make those fossil fuels. We tend to use resources like there is an unlimited supply. Reported that we have a few hundred years of coal and about 50 years of oil at current usage rates. What happens then? Aluminum, copper and iron - what happens when we dig it all up?
We can calculate how much electricity we need to replace oil, but I am sure that there are opportunities to use less energy regardless of source. How many people drive to the store for one or a few items many times per week or even per day? How much stuff gets buried in landfills that could be recycled? How much energy could be saved with better planning? Do people use the most efficient vehicle for most of their travel? People tend to have bigger houses to be heated and cooled than 50 years ago. There are lots of opportunities probably.
I'm sure land fills will eventually be mined. They have got to have more usable and easily accessed copper than digging it out of traditional mines. Probably other trace minerals as well...

I'm sure land fills will eventually be mined. They have got to have more usable and easily accessed copper than digging it out of traditional mines. Probably other trace minerals as well...
I think you are right. Easily accessible I don't know about but out of necessity yes I think so. When we burn thru our resources one of two things will happen. New resources will be developed or the population will be balanced to a sustainable level.

We have an Hybrid/electric ferry here too, passenger and bicycle only. They had to improve the cooling in the battery storage area but it's great. It is one of the replacements for a 100+ years old20211105_102442.jpg wooden diesel boat.. Hybrid seems the way to go, but what do I know!

There were plenty of diesels in boats prior to the 1960s.
Gray Marine built over 100 Marine versions of the GM6-71 PER Day during ww2.
I was stationed on a US Navy tug boat in 1975 with a Cleveland 6-278 that ran @ 700 rpms. Vessel and engines built and put into service in 1942.
AFAIK, all ww1 and ww2 submarines ran on diesels when on surface.

Latest posts