Diesel shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

My father and mother operated a country store about five miles south of Yantis Texas. I have watched my father draw up a can of coal oil for a customer. Most had lost the cap for the spout on the can. My father would get an Irish potato from the potato bin and stick on the spout to keep the customer from spilling the contents. This would have been in the early forties since I was born 1941. I would have been between two and three years old and I can see that as plain as the post I am writing.

My father and mother operated a country store about five miles south of Yantis Texas. I have watched my father draw up a can of coal oil for a customer. Most had lost the cap for the spout on the can. My father would get an Irish potato from the potato bin and stick on the spout to keep the customer from spilling the contents. This would have been in the early forties since I was born 1941. I would have been between two and three years old and I can see that as plain as the post I am writing.
Most country stores and neighborhood mom and pops in small communities carried coal oil. It was a square tank with a manual rotary pump that measured out the fuel. I've seen them pumped in fuel cans and also glass bottles. Whatever the customer furnished. It was cheap and put on the charge acct that most people had with the local merchant.

Mostly used here to start a fire in the wood cooking stoves. Sometimes they put corn cobs upright in a small bucket of coal oil and used them to start the fire quickly.

yep, pretty much. some of the additives are different (or missing) but white gas isn't all that different from unleaded gasoline. I've burned a lot of regular unleaded in my campstove.
I had to use some Coleman fuel in my old 1980 Toyota truck one time to get the 5 miles to the gas station. It started up and ran on it. Just chugged along til I got there. Not sure what the octane rating of Coleman fuel would be.

I had to use some Coleman fuel in my old 1980 Toyota truck one time to get the 5 miles to the gas station. It started up and ran on it. Just chugged along til I got there. Not sure what the octane rating of Coleman fuel would be.
Octane rating of 50 to 55.

maybe this new tech will help with the battery issue.

Global warming. We see interstates turn rain storms and cities (like Atlanta) split fronts moving in from the west or south. We see temperatures in cities to be higher. So is it the pavement, roof reflection and concrete that absorbs the heat and then release it to the atmosphere? Get under a tree and its cooler. Grass provides cooler soil temperatures. Are folks just picking their sources of global warming to attack others? I think that is the ploy against engines. If the elites are sure that they want to stop whatever climate change they think they know about, just get them to quit AC, heat and combustion engines. They'll never do it. They are using the platform for a business or a side pocket money maker.
I think you're correct in your assumption of hat absorption and release, look at how many millions of acres have been paved in the past 100 years covering land that could absorb water and not hold heat like concrete and blacktop

It's why many building permits in more recent decades have required retaining ponds to be included.

Back at my old location, when a new Kubota dealership was built with it's big shop and lots of concrete drives and pads (I worked for them) the owner had to purchase additional and adjacent land on which to built the retaining pond. No retaining pond..no building permit.

Same with a big church I used to drive by every day.

Mostly used here to start a fire in the wood cooking stoves. Sometimes they put corn cobs upright in a small bucket of coal oil and used them to start the fire quickly.
Used corn cobs or folded baler twine to start the wood cookstove here. A little kerosene and a kitchen match. Later we used a little diesel instead of kerosene.

I was installing a new cooling fan on my side-by-side last year. I had to disconnect the lower radiator hose. I was scratching my head trying to figure a way to avoid draining or losing the coolant.
My 10yo grandson gets all excited and says "wait grampy!". Beyond excited, he runs at breakneck speed to the house and comes back with a potato.
Remove hose, quickly cram tator on flange, makes a perfect short term plug. Genius. He had watched his other grampy do something similar a few days before.

That was put on cuts as well as an Asphidity bag worn. I am not sure what all makes asphidity.
vicks salve, mentholaum, and a salve for pneumonia was on those sally rags. Every kid in school had one on stinky bunch of kids.

1. [h2][/h2]
      • 2020-06-15 An asphidity bag was a folk remedy most commonly found in the Appalachian region in the 18th or 19th century. Basically, it was a bag of pungent herbs, often including ginseng, pokeweed and yellow root, garlic, rosemary, onion and mint. However, the exact ingredients varied by practitioner.

My mother had a coal oil cookstove. You filled the glass jar that had a valve in the cap and there was a place to put the jar of coal oil. You could adjust the temp on all of the burners and oven.

vicks salve, mentholaum, and a salve for pneumonia was on those sally rags. Every kid in school had one on stinky bunch of kids.
My granddaddy, born in 1884, always kept Red Bud Salve. Hands, lips, whatever, just googled it, they still make it, bet the ingredients ain't the same, original formula probably caused cancer.:rolleyes:

Latest posts