Didn't Like the Black Hereford? How 'Bout a Tiger Stripe?

Help Support CattleToday:

I tend to think that breeding for polled genetics took the hereford breed back far enough. I'd rather see them focus on red white faced horned cattle that work for a living than chase fads.
Besides, one of the very best selling points of the breed at this point in time is heterosis when crossed with angus cows as they are one of few breeds that can add the kick without disrupting the rest of he plan... Why throw away that selling point?

cow pollinater":2eslf2y0 said:
I tend to think that breeding for polled genetics took the hereford breed back far enough. I'd rather see them focus on red white faced horned cattle that work for a living than chase fads.
Besides, one of the very best selling points of the breed at this point in time is heterosis when crossed with angus cows as they are one of few breeds that can add the kick without disrupting the rest of he plan... Why throw away that selling point?

yes but, but, but ya get Black hair

cow pollinater":2cqjrzuu said:

Are you REALLY throwing away that selling point when many of the Black Herefords produced today are at least 7/8ths Hereford blood and the percentage of Hereford blood is rising with each generation?

I think the premise of a Black Hereford breed is sound. It's the quality currently presently in the breed that I have a problem with - and it appears that the ABHA rules have handcuffed breeders from taking the measures that could make the biggest strides in adding quality.

user1":2cqjrzuu said:

And there's no doubt that the black hide makes a difference in price when selling cattle in the local auction barns in my area. I wish it didn't - but it does and anyone who says otherwise is in a state of denial.

George

Herefords.US":nn8k29y5 said:
cow pollinater":nn8k29y5 said:

Are you REALLY throwing away that selling point when many of the Black Herefords produced today are at least 7/8ths Hereford blood and the percentage of Hereford blood is rising with each generation?

I think the premise of a Black Hereford breed is sound. It's the quality currently presently in the breed that I have a problem with - and it appears that the ABHA rules have handcuffed breeders from taking the measures that could make the biggest strides in adding quality.

user1":nn8k29y5 said:

And there's no doubt that the black hide makes a difference in price when selling cattle in the local auction barns in my area. I wish it didn't - but it does and anyone who says otherwise is in a state of denial.

George
It's just a registered crossbred, not an actual breed. They are NOT hereford but a black baldy. Even if they are 7/8, that doesn't mean they looks like a hereford.

Herefords.US":3m8eezj7 said:
cow pollinater":3m8eezj7 said:

user1":3m8eezj7 said:

George
I know the reality of the black hair but it still makes it funny how the wrapping can make a deal.

Latest posts