Did you get your lottery tickets?

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":2ow6ajcl said:
Saw a headline this morning that the winning number was sold in Maryland. At least I matched four numbers. Too bad each one was on a different line. :lol2:

I didn't even buy a ticket and won't on the next one.

Well, I'm relieved that the heavy burden of wondering what to do with all that $$ has been removed from my shoulders! I had a $5 ticket; matched 2 numbers, on different lines. The Power Ball and Lotto drawings are here tonight (since I was in the ticket-buying mode, I got a few bucks worth of them, too. But I'll have to make a smaller list! :)

Do you have to pay tax on your winnings? we don't here or on the Euro Lottery no matter how much you win.
But that amount of money is an obscene amount for one person to win, we have big amounts and I feel they should share it down the line, we have a six match and win the jackpot, five numbers and bonus ball win, five ball win, four ball win and a three ball ten pound win, or have two or three draws for the jackpot share around and make a few people happy.

chrisy":3b93lrjk said:
Do you have to pay tax on your winnings? we don't here or on the Euro Lottery no matter how much you win.
But that amount of money is an obscene amount for one person to win, we have big amounts and I feel they should share it down the line, we have a six match and win the jackpot, five numbers and bonus ball win, five ball win, four ball win and a three ball ten pound win, or have two or three draws for the jackpot share around and make a few people happy.
Yes, Chrisy, TAX. When that big lottery was at $540 million early in the week, the take-home amount was estimated at $300 million-something. And I agree! I would much rather have better odds at a $100 grand or so than almost -0- on the obscene amount.

TexasBred":1ncmu92q said:
I haven't bought a lottery ticket in 10-12 years. Figure I must have saved enough to buy several cows. ;-)
I'm not motivated to spend $1 on a ticket, until it has huge returns. So I don't spend much. Maybe the cost of a pound of bacon every few months. You never know . . . . . someone is going to be lucky . . . . . and you can't get lucky with lottery unless you play the game.

Old joke: A man prays to St. Peter to win the lottery. And he doesn't. He prays again, and again, he doesn't. Finally, St. Peter replies in the man's dreams, and says, "I can't help you if you don't buy a ticket!" I know -- bad joke. :hide:

Kathie in Thorp":390m8fh6 said:
TexasBred":390m8fh6 said:
I haven't bought a lottery ticket in 10-12 years. Figure I must have saved enough to buy several cows. ;-)
I'm not motivated to spend $1 on a ticket, until it has huge returns. So I don't spend much. Maybe the cost of a pound of bacon every few months. You never know . . . . . someone is going to be lucky . . . . . and you can't get lucky with lottery unless you play the game.

Old joke: A man prays to St. Peter to win the lottery. And he doesn't. He prays again, and again, he doesn't. Finally, St. Peter replies in the man's dreams, and says, "I can't help you if you don't buy a ticket!" I know -- bad joke. :hide:
:bang: 'you have to be in it to win it'

Well, no trip to Olympia tomorrow to cash in on either of those other two tickets either. Crap. Guess I'll just have to go to work -- and be thankful I've got a job!

Kathie in Thorp":39en4yb3 said:
Well, no trip to Olympia tomorrow to cash in on either of those other two tickets either. Crap. Guess I'll just have to go to work -- and be thankful I've got a job!

Actually Kathie. Be thankful that you didn't win. My best friend in high schol and hunting/fishing partner for years won 13.7 mil, the biggest pay out at that time, 21 years ago. He is now dead broke. Having seen how it affected his life, I don't buy tickets. Money may solve some problems but it creates a whole new set of problems which few of us are prepared to handle.

Dave":r9suu68y said:
Kathie in Thorp":r9suu68y said:

Actually Kathie. Be thankful that you didn't win. My best friend in high schol and hunting/fishing partner for years won 13.7 mil, the biggest pay out at that time, 21 years ago. He is now dead broke. Having seen how it affected his life, I don't buy tickets. Money may solve some problems but it creates a whole new set of problems which few of us are prepared to handle.
Dave how right you are, most of us don't know how to handle that sort of money in one go, as we haven't been bought up in that sort of life. You will find out who your real friends are very quickly I would have thought. It is hard to climb from one class to another, Working to Middle is not so bad but from Working to Upper in one fell swoop is something else, as we are not used to moving in that sort of circle, not saying anyone is common or thick, it is just the way it is. If you have money and your friends don't who pays you? or do you go without so as you can still mix with your friends? I think it must be hard. 'Cause you would think 13.7 mil you should be set up for life. I can see how it would ruin your life. As I said before 'share it out evenly across the board', and no more than one-mil per-person, as that much is not so much to handle. JMO :2cents: worth.

There's plenty of room to park all those nickels on my place. Bring 'em on! We'd all have one heck of a shin dig.

A couple things I learned watching my friend.

Win the lottery and quickly you will find out who your real friends are. People will come out of the wood work wanting to help you spend it. It is best to disappear for a month or two after winning to let things settle down.

You have to learn real quick how to manage your money. There will be lots of people giving advise but there is only one person who is really looking out for your best interests. Following a lawyer's advise on taxes was the final blow for my friend.

The most important one is that you still need a reason to get up and do something. Being on vacation for the rest of your life is great for a couple months. But after that when it is Wednesday and all your friends are at work...... life gets pretty boring. Now all of us here that would be no problem because all those cows would keep us busy.

So my friend having gone through a couple of marriages, becoming a raging alcholic, and lost the final round to the IRS... other that that life has been a bowl of cherrys.

Latest posts