DAD: "Yeah sure, what is it?"
SON: "Daddy, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?"
SON: "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "If you must know, I make $100 an hour."
SON: "Oh! (With his head down).
SON: "Daddy, may I please borrow $50?"

The father was furious.

DAD: "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I work hard everyday for such this childish behavior."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.
The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?
After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think:
Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $ 50 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

DAD: "Are you asleep, son?"

SON: "No daddy, I'm awake".
DAD: "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier. It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $50 you asked for."

The little boy sat straight up, smiling.
SON: "Oh, thank you daddy!"
Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

DAD: "Why do you want more money if you already have some?"

SON: "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do.

"Daddy, I have $100 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."
The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that $100 worth of your time with someone you love? If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family and friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than to our family.

Some things are more important.

Chrisy that is true in my scenario alot times 6 days a week i leave in the dark and come back in when its dark and my wife gets on me about that. I try to take the kids with me when im not doing something dangerous or in a time crunch. I thank you for sharing that.

Dad should have explained what interest rate means and explain that borrowing $$ is serious business and a contract not to be entered into lightly. Ya can't start teaching good fiscal values too early, no matter what the reason for borrowing.

greybeard":wbim5qd7 said:
Dad should have explained what interest rate means and explain that borrowing $$ is serious business and a contract not to be entered into lightly. Ya can't start teaching good fiscal values too early, no matter what the reason for borrowing.

Didn't know kids paid you back for interest rates to apply. :lol:

I can't say enough how true that is. I missed a lot of my daughters formative years. I'm paying for it now that she's almost 18. We never have had a great relationship. Always seems like I've been a stranger. It's just a dollar, gotta figure out what it's worth to chase that dollar. Sometimes it's not worth it

hooknline":oqg12fyg said:
I can't say enough how true that is. I missed a lot of my daughters formative years. I'm paying for it now that she's almost 18. We never have had a great relationship. Always seems like I've been a stranger. It's just a dollar, gotta figure out what it's worth to chase that dollar. Sometimes it's not worth it
Hook I've been there too. But It's never too late with daughters. A lot of years I was too protective wanted mine tough. From 15 to 19 she didn't understand why I was so tough at 21 she sees it and its almost like it was when shewas 5 and I was her hero. Hardest part is having to keep your mouth shut and let them grow up.

Children came late to me. When I was 33 we had twins, had my youngest at 35. When I found out my wife was pregnant with the first ones I quit roping. When she had them, I let all my cattle go, but what I had right at the house. I eventually quit cutting my own hay, and switched to buying. When the littlest was born, I leased out my business to a guy that has just about ran it in the ground. My income has shrunk, but I spend a lot of time with my kids.

Depends on your age on how much time you spend. If I would have had mine in my early 20's I couldn't have done much. Having them in my late 30's I've been able to do lots more with them even if it is mostly keeping them on the farm with me while I work. I just take the time.

Been there done that, and I wish I had it to do over. When I came home for my daughters 3rd. birthday and she didn't recognized me and started crying that is when I said the heck with it. I didn't see my son much till he got to be 6 years old. That's about when I was able to start hunting again and we would go together. My son has fished with me for the last 15 years as much as possible. and now he's the man on the boat and I' am to old and beat up to go as much as I would like to. Kids sure grow up fast, and the older I get the faster time goes. One thing that I would do when I got in, is call and tell them that I loved them and missed them.

i sat and listened to that song the other day with my 6 yr old on my lap....i gave up alot of selfish things when gage came along. and im sure theyll be more to come...i cant wait!

Latest posts