Cutting tin (metal) roofing

Help Support CattleToday:

For single pieces I use a pneumatic shears for a long cut after it's already up I use one of those dual saws "as seen on TV"

dun":3dkp7q39 said:
For single pieces I use a pneumatic shears for a long cut after it's already up I use one of those dual saws "as seen on TV"

'As seen on TV', like right there near the checkout counter at Wally World where they also have the Magic Bra's (whatever they are), the boiled egg keepers, and the nose hair trimmers? :lol:

The shears are pretty slick. Watched the guys who built my small barn use them and it looked like a hot knife through butter.

James T":lmcecdas said:
dun":lmcecdas said:

'As seen on TV', like right there near the checkout counter at Wally World where they also have the Magic Bra's (whatever they are), the boiled egg keepers, and the nose hair trimmers? :lol:

The shears are pretty slick. Watched the guys who built my small barn use them and it looked like a hot knife through butter.
Seems like I got mine at lowes a couple of years ago

Alan":35qtscpa said:
I need a couple pieces of metal, tin, roofing about 3' foot long. I have several pieces I have salvaged but I need to cut one. How to cut it?, I know tin snips, but I was thinking a skill saw blade backwards? I saw a "survival" show where they used an axe .... I would like a better finish than than that.

Any suggestions would be great. :D

$19.95 set of Ginsu knives will cut it like hot butter. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":3459r8i8 said:
Alan":3459r8i8 said:
I need a couple pieces of metal, tin, roofing about 3' foot long. I have several pieces I have salvaged but I need to cut one. How to cut it?, I know tin snips, but I was thinking a skill saw blade backwards? I saw a "survival" show where they used an axe .... I would like a better finish than than that.

Any suggestions would be great. :D

$19.95 set of Ginsu knives will cut it like hot butter. :lol2: :lol2:

Yea but will they still slice a tomato afterwards? :D

James T":2kwn84fe said:
Jogeephus":2kwn84fe said:
Take a Skihl saw preferably with an old blade and put it on backwards. Put some eye protection on and this will cut it just as pretty as you please.

+1. I have used this method with corrugated sheet metal and it worked very well. Don't forget the eye protection!

Hello there,
I've also used this method. But I have to know that, do you have any other method apart from this?
Thanks

There is a saw that was shown on TV. It's called a "Dual Saw", 2 blades turning in opposite directions. Cut's tin like butter and not near as noisy as a blade turned backwards,

saw blades and grinders will cause hot metal bits to infuse into the panel, which will lead to rust.

this is what the manufacturers told me.

a metal nibbler is the way to go..

Had a young man put the roof on a building for me. He worked full time for a company that installed metal buildings, and did this work in the evening/weekends.

He could lay out a piece of 17' metal, cut it, wrap it like a taco, tuck it under his arm and have it on the roof in a hurry! He used a snips like mentioned, aviation snips.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-...54112&wl11=online&wl12=19284701&wl13=&veh=sem

No noise, no eye protection required. Much faster then motorized cutting.

D2Cat":yoe5qjly said:
Had a young man put the roof on a building for me. He worked full time for a company that installed metal buildings, and did this work in the evening/weekends.

He could lay out a piece of 17' metal, cut it, wrap it like a taco, tuck it under his arm and have it on the roof in a hurry! He used a snips like mentioned, aviation snips.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-...54112&wl11=online&wl12=19284701&wl13=&veh=sem

No noise, no eye protection required. Much faster then motorized cutting.

Ask at Walmart if they sell extra hands, finger or wrist muscles to go along with those shears.
They'll wear you out on long cuts.
(they come btw, in left, right radius, and straight cut configurations)

I have a shear with a long handle on it. I like it, because I usually have some neighbor kid helping me. No power tool involved or flying shards of tin. Got it at harbor freight. Not junk either. May have made thousands of cuts.

You can get a bit for an air hammer that does a good job, or air shears... You can also get ~120 tooth blades for the skill saw especially designed for cutting tin, they work really good..

Latest posts