Metal detecting

Help Support CattleToday:

I always did a better job at finding metal with the bean head, and field cultivator, than a metal detector.
Break a 3 dollar section and gaurd for a 50 cent broken horse shoe.

Hook2.0 said:
One of my customers is big into it for decades. He has an entire shed filled with mason jars. Each jar sorted into a category. Pennies, coins, jewelry, rings, buttons, bullets, etc. he's got many thousands of dollars in rings just sitting in a jar in a shed. He keeps saying it's his retirement, but he's almost 70 I'll bet and hasn't touched it yet

My uncle is much the same. He is a hoarder though. He not only metal detects but also cleans out estates. He always looks in heat vents/returns, books, vacuum canisters (for real), etc... for goods. He's found real pearl necklaces. Old coins. One time, he looked in a suitcase and found it was packed full of baseball cards. So old, they were only printed with 2 colors. He had me go thru them one day but I knew nothing of baseball. There were also packs that were unopened. I told him not to touch them. Pristine condition. He had to be the luckiest man I know, when it came to finding stuff. When he passes, the ONLY thing I will be digging for and keeping quiet about what I am after...is that blue suitcase.

I lost a silver chain necklace trying to pull a cow out a mud hole, bought a detector to look for it after things dried up, never found my chain but the husband has found lots of rusty metal to drag back to the house. :roll:

Hook2.0 said:
sstterry said:
Hook2.0 said:
Does anyone do it? I did a job a couple years back for Kellyco, the largest metal detector supply company in the country. Part of the payment was a metal detector. So far all I've found was old beer cans, pieces of wire and nails at my house. And one old lead bullet.
Once we get to Tennessee I'm looking froward to checking out the ground there. History says there was a civil war camp and skirmish not too far from us, and the house was built in 1900. I'm hoping to find some cool stuff

Tons of stuff in this area. Our place has been picked over for years and years with several things found. A good friend of mine is one of the local experts. When you get here, let me know and I will hook you up with him. But beware, the ones that are serious guard their spots with a jealous passion. He has the exclusive right to metal detect on our farm.

One of my father's best friends is also a local historian and he gifted me a Civil War pistol along with its history. It is in a lock box at the bank because this model is pretty rare.
If you want to see if your buddy wouldn't mind directing a guy.....

I will reach out to him and see if he is willing. He stays pretty busy. He just completed a term as State President of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I think he still heads their Finance Committee.

Went to grab a fencer from rye that we hauled our falls home from. As I looked over, saw a shed I had never noticed, on adjacent ground that I also rent. So I went to explore.

I found rusted buckets. Some old looking corrals that have fallen, and a few old tubs that look like old water troughs. I'm itching to go back over there. In one area it has cut out blocks that are mostly flat that must have been foundation blocks for another building?

Not sure how far back this would date but I'm certain it's going to be fun to metal detect! Just have to get all the pairs out to pasture first so I can play.

Latest posts