Metal detecting

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Had a cheap metal detector but the flood ruined it. Probably for the best tho. All I ever found was some Pearl Beer bottle caps, 2 old rusty pair of fencing pliers and a claw hammer my brother lost back in the 90s.

Yep! Can't wait for the ground to thaw so I can go again.

I look at old plots. Places where farmsteads use to be. I like the stories that accompany these places and I get permission from the owners if we don't own the ground.

I've not found anything of value but I've found treasures. I just enjoy being out and it gets real exciting.

Hook2.0 said:
Does anyone do it? I did a job a couple years back for Kellyco, the largest metal detector supply company in the country. Part of the payment was a metal detector. So far all I've found was old beer cans, pieces of wire and nails at my house. And one old lead bullet.
Once we get to Tennessee I'm looking froward to checking out the ground there. History says there was a civil war camp and skirmish not too far from us, and the house was built in 1900. I'm hoping to find some cool stuff

Tons of stuff in this area. Our place has been picked over for years and years with several things found. A good friend of mine is one of the local experts. When you get here, let me know and I will hook you up with him. But beware, the ones that are serious guard their spots with a jealous passion. He has the exclusive right to metal detect on our farm.

One of my father's best friends is also a local historian and he gifted me a Civil War pistol along with its history. It is in a lock box at the bank because this model is pretty rare.

Hook2.0 said:
Dang, that's pretty cool.

Lots of battles and skirmishes in this area. The railroad was a strategic target for both sides. Plus "Bulls Gap" was the only gap in the mountain range for many many miles, The name comes from John Bull who made rifles and ran a stage stop in the early 1800's. Only a couple of his rifles are left in existence

sstterry said:
Hook2.0 said:

Lots of battles and skirmishes in this area. The railroad was a strategic target for both sides. Plus "Bulls Gap" was the only gap in the mountain range for many many miles, The name comes from John Bull who made rifles and ran a stage stop in the early 1800's. Only a couple of his rifles are left in existence
Interesting. John Bull is also England's version of our Uncle Sam, tho usually portrayed as being..well no way around it.........Fat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bull

Hook2.0 said:
sstterry said:
Hook2.0 said:

Battle at big creek was only 6 miles from the house.
Lots of battles within a 30-mile radius of you; Big Creek, Bulls Gap, Deep Springs, Russellville, Mossy Creek, Bean Station ect. Longstreet billeted his troops one winter in Whitesburg. There is a museum in Russellville called the Longstreet Musem where he stayed that winter. Our farm served as a Picket line on the road to Knoxville for a period of time. My son's Eagle Project was mapping the Civil War graves at Bethesda Cemetary and erecting a Kiosk with the map of the graves and research about some of the soldiers.

If you get into it, there is a wealth of information and places to hunt if you get permission. But I am by
no means an expert. The guy who gave me the pistol is also the world's leading authority on Gestapo Warrant Discs. (He lived in Germany for a while).

A guy had an expensive one and checked out around a few old farm houses, churches here. People were to poor to have anything back then. He found a few older pennies at the outhouse were the church toilet was that my house now sets, as I guess as people pulled up their drawers the pennies flew out. He messed around several hours and found very little of value. Probably could have picked up cans in the ditch line and made more. I live right at a river and a couple fields I have plowed up before are loaded with Indian relics. After a hard rain on tilted grown I can pick up a basket full of arrowheads, tomahawks, fishhooks etc., but most are broken.

Bought a real nice one several years back. Yes, it does make a difference and no, I'm not an expert! Saved a chunk of change by being able to locate pins at a rental. Otherwise just find enough coin to pay for the batteries. Biggest haul was about $12 in quarters (clad) and a couple matchbox cars in a single stash!

Beefeater said:
Bought a real nice one several years back. Yes, it does make a difference and no, I'm not an expert! Saved a chunk of change by being able to locate pins at a rental. Otherwise just find enough coin to pay for the batteries. Biggest haul was about $12 in quarters (clad) and a couple matchbox cars in a single stash!

We got a hydraulic hoist for shop but needed to know where the rebar was. They borrowed my detector to locate. They were the first to use it.

I have thought about getting one. The Oregon trail was just about 4 miles from my house. Lots of BLM ground that it went over that I can just go out on. There was a gold rush just up stream from me that started in the 1860's. I own the mouth of the canyon where the gold miners worked. Maybe the metal detector would locate a big gold nugget out in the field. The irrigation rights here date back to the 1870's, the house was built in 1930. So there was something here that is long since gone. It would be interesting to find something that dates back to that time.

Hook2.0 said:
Does anyone do it? I did a job a couple years back for Kellyco, the largest metal detector supply company in the country. Part of the payment was a metal detector. So far all I've found was old beer cans, pieces of wire and nails at my house. And one old lead bullet.
Once we get to Tennessee I'm looking froward to checking out the ground there. History says there was a civil war camp and skirmish not too far from us, and the house was built in 1900. I'm hoping to find some cool stuff

$.17 total treasure to date. Plus about a ton of junk.

I haven't seen anyone recommend a detector....what's a good one?
My drowned one was a White, on the cheap end of their line.

I've found lots of horse shoes, mule shoes... I need to get back out. We have a lot of old home places on our ranch. All that's left is a few bricks. I know there is something out here to find, I can feel it.

We've been told some ground that we own, had a home on it at one time that the sons thought, had gold coins hidden in the basement. They had came back and asked if they could dig it. But the problem is, that home that existed had since been buried into the basement and farmed over.

Now nobody is for sure, where the home sat. And like anything, not that motivated to find something that is likely an ol' tale under 8+ feet of dirt.

On one place we have there was an old house we burned and buried. There was a mound outside the area of the house that we determined was a root cellar.. I dug around in it a little and found canning jar rims and zinc tops..I found a small piece of a necklace.
If 100 years from now our house is gone and someone comes around with a metal detector, they'll find pennies, hot wheels, probably some spoons and butter knives.
There is an old wagon trail cutting across one of our plots of land, I've gone over that a few times and found mule shoes. BUt, one day i'll find a something of worth, I just know I will...

cowgirl8 said:
On one place we have there was an old house we burned and buried. There was a mound outside the area of the house that we determined was a root cellar.. I dug around in it a little and found canning jar rims and zinc tops..I found a small piece of a necklace.
If 100 years from now our house is gone and someone comes around with a metal detector, they'll find pennies, hot wheels, probably some spoons and butter knives.
There is an old wagon trail cutting across one of our plots of land, I've gone over that a few times and found mule shoes. BUt, one day i'll find a something of worth, I just know I will...

Our home is built on the low end of a slope. The home we own is the home my husband was born in. The basement always took on water in a heavy rain because that slope kept silting in above the basement line. So we dug it out and put up a massive retaining wall.

When moving all that dirt, we found an old pit. Old pop bottles, avon bottles, etc... Did find a beautiful "pot" that was orange. I'd describe it as more of a carafe with a handle? I dated it back to 1920. The house was built in 1906. We have it in our home displayed now. Also found a "bird bath" that has marbles around it. I'm guessing a bird bath. It is a big cement bowl. I put that in my flower bed. It was real fun to dig through all of it.

Anything we find, is his families...going back generations. As his great grandmother grew up on our property and her parents were the first settlers.

Latest posts