Metal building/barn home

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a small 2 bedroom 2 bath metal home.
I currently have a tiny one and learned a few things such as spray foam is very air tight and I need to plan better for ventilation.
I need have a floor plan and doors and windows in the proper place and etc.

Is there anything I need to know that I may overlook and need to plan for ?

Also there are a few on here from Oklahoma.
Can anyone recommend a builder in SW Oklahoma ?

Caustic Burno":2472ogsg said:
Kodiak steel homes
They have a list of local contractors.
Mine is a Classic Steel I think Kodiak bought them out.
The electric wiring was a little more in mine as everything is in shielded wire.
http://m.kodiaksteelhomes.com/site/models

Yeah that's another thing the electrician that wired the little one I have now insisted on using the flexible conduit with the wire in the inside.

J&D Metal out of Colbert, OK has built many a building (including my BIL's and mine 15 years ago) and had always been less expensive than any of our local people. I have no idea of their travel distance.

We talking about a pole barn covered in metal, a red iron building, or something like what CB posted?

slick4591":3075chrk said:
J&D Metal out of Colbert, OK has built many a building (including my BIL's and mine 15 years ago) and had always been less expensive than any of our local people. I have no idea of their travel distance.

That's not too far, maybe 2-3 hrs away.
I'm going to call them.

Bigfoot":fleli54o said:
We talking about a pole barn covered in metal, a red iron building, or something like what CB posted?

Like CB's house just smaller scale 1000-1200 sq ft.
Something similar to this

Cross-7":1gfb9cm5 said:
Bigfoot":1gfb9cm5 said:

Like CB's house just smaller scale 1000-1200 sq ft.
Something similar to this

Cross that looks pretty simple. Little more than a customized completely finished metal shop building with all the bells and whistles. Be a nice home.

Starting to see more of those lately. I "hear", that they are almost as expensive a framed house "if" your community is following building codes.

Bigfoot":15ndyuwk said:
Starting to see more of those lately. I "hear", that they are almost as expensive a framed house "if" your community is following building codes.
If you community is following codes it's time to move.

Bigfoot":g662lbui said:

There are added cost of needing a crane to put up the red iron.
I had mine engineered for 140 mph winds. The electric wiring was more plus all the door jams had to be special ordered as the walls are ten inches thick.
Mine will cost you more than a stick house of the same sq footage.

Got a few here, building a pressure treated post frame home. Covering the sides in number 1 painted metal. I like the looks of them just fine. I don't see much savings in building that way.

Bigfoot":20mp6av0 said:
Got a few here, building a pressure treated post frame home. Covering the sides in number 1 painted metal. I like the looks of them just fine. I don't see much savings in building that way.

I built mine for hurricane winds and the substantial yearly insurance savings by half of a stick house. We are talking thousands in savings I am paying less than half what my neighbor is on a frame house built at the same time and mine is bigger.

Cross here is the same view as earlier finished

I've " heard " 65.00 a square foot depending on the interior finishes, but haven't talked to a builder, so that may not be accurate

This is the one I have now.
I needed something quick and cheap and it's served its purpose.
I plan on building in front of it and converting this one to a backyard , office,outdoor entertainment, cooking out, man cave and etc
I've learned a few things on this one but I don't need anymore mistakes like I made on this little one.

Cross-7":a3eirz4g said:
I've " heard " 65.00 a square foot depending on the interior finishes, but haven't talked to a builder, so that may not be accurate

I found the interior cost higher dealing with the metal studs from making a header to hang cabinets.
Along with the studs having a rubber grommet that the water lines run through.
My cost were close to 65 a foot in 2004.

Latest posts