Metal building/barn home

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":dc29lumg said:
It's considered an unconviential home so sure up your loan a head of time if you go that route. You may have to go to a small local bank or credit union that actually keeps their loans in house.

Used to be Brute cause they looked at me like I was crazy in 03 when I wanted a construction loan. I just paid cash then. I know several that have financed since then.
Today there are actually quite a few homes in the area.

I have two steel frame houses, the first I built myself (did all the work) is a conventional steel stud frame the 2nd I bought soon after completed is a bit rougher and built on a shed frame and is where I live now but is a very functional house. Both houses are just clad in the zincalume unpainted roof sheeting which I love, absolutely no maintenance, outside and verandah just gets blasted with the pressure washer.

I have been told that steel frame houses are very safe electrically because they are so well grounded.

Ken

I can build what we call a classic 5 here for $55 a sq ft, and never pick up a hammer. That's a real house setting on a foundation. Low end finishes throughout.

They're calling them barndominiums around here because there's usually living quarters in the front and horse/cow/whatever barn attached in the back. The first one I knew of started out as a barn and he slowly converted the front part into a home. He never told the county and you would never know anyone lived there by looking at it.

Cross, the picture you posted is a Morton building which is a post frame building covered with metal, the house cb has is steel frame covered in metal, we built a post frame house this summer for a customer, I'll try and download some pictures for you, the difference in the two is the cost of finishing the interior, post frame is less expensive, drywall, electrical, trim work,etc.

haase":3douwc0a said:
Cross, the picture you posted is a Morton building which is a post frame building covered with metal, the house cb has is steel frame covered in metal, we built a post frame house this summer for a customer, I'll try and download some pictures for you, the difference in the two is the cost of finishing the interior, post frame is less expensive, drywall, electrical, trim work,etc.

What about the slab as well?
They put down a heII of a slab here.
Slab has concrete columns under it with the bolts the red iron is bolted to.
Was that to carry the red iron weight since there are no load bearing walls?
The red iron is bolted down to two inch all thread.
Or does it have to do with the wind rating?

Bigfoot":3clxtpa2 said:
I can build what we call a classic 5 here for $55 a sq ft, and never pick up a hammer. That's a real house setting on a foundation. Low end finishes throughout.

Wow do those builders travel to VA ? I can't buy a house that needs fixing up for 55$ sq ft

Cb, the one we built was over a basement, we set brackets on the foundation wall, columns were 8' on center with headers on top so trusses were 24" on center, already set up for drywall ceiling and could blow a r-38 insulation on top, floor was like a typical house with floor joist 16" on center with beams underneath in the center for support , you can still do the same on a slab with the brackets to anchor in the slab for the columns, same concept as steel only wood frame.

haase":26ybml1d said:

That is correct.
https://mortonbuildings.com/project/4177
I've called them 4 times.
First 3 times they took my number and would have someone contact me but never did.
The 4 I actually spoke with one of the sales reps. He took all my info and was going to gather some information and call me and never did so I gave up on them.

haase":1pk4uy91 said:

That is correct.
First 3 times they took my number and would have someone contact me but never did.
The 4 I actually spoke with one of the sales reps. He took all my info and was going to gather some information and call me and never did so I gave up on them.

Cross, wish I was closer to help you out with your project, we get our material from borkholder buildings out of Indiana, might want to check out their website on there homes, might be able to buy material from them and have a local builder to erect it.

Cross-7":3fe331ea said:
haase":3fe331ea said:

That is correct.

We have a Morton building for our garage/shop. Did end up being a bit pricey (to me). They did a decent job. Someone :oops: bumped the overhead door while plowing and put a crinkle in it. We've called several times and they've promised to come out to quote a repair. Never showed up so we've decided to live with the crinkle for the moment (makes the door hard to open but oh well).

I have a little advice....if you really want it a certain way...don't let someone talk you out of it!

I did and I very much regret it.

Sounds like a nice house, now make it a home.

Have a great day!

I've been working on ours in the evenings. It'll be used for offices, but will have a kitchen and suitable bathrooms and closets just in case it ever gets used as a house.

Latest posts