Driving Home Naked

Help Support CattleToday:

My opinion - The best vet for an emergency is the one that will respond and show up. Regardless of gender or whether they drive naked. "Good", "spiteful" and "screwed over" are not specific to gender either.

Remember that as the client is sizing up the new vet that shows up (deciding if they know anything or if they are competent), the new vet is also doing the same thing in regard to the client. Hopefully all is good, but sometimes there can be disappointment on either or both sides. Regardless of gender.

I know too many good men who have got screwed over by spiteful women to call out a lady vet on an emergency call. Men and women are different and the needs of a large animal veterinary practice isn't women's work.
The vet at one of the sale yards I go to is female. I would have no problem at all having her out to the ranch if she were closer. When I have cow locked in the chute what does it matter which gender the vet it. And I would never call any vet out for a animal that is not secured for them when they arrive. I want a vet that knows animal health and that is not gender specific.

I know too many good men who have got screwed over by spiteful women to call out a lady vet on an emergency call. Men and women are different and the needs of a large animal veterinary practice isn't women's work.
Well, I beg to differ. My vet is a rock star! My best friend and I already had to cowgirl up to rope & secure this cow to the grill of my Polaris. Worked on her for an hour, trying to reposition a breech calf, and finally had to call my vet. Yes, that is her husband in the picture with her, but she brought him along because they came out after hours (plus, he's super supportive of her and they work well together). She gave the cow an epidural and spent another hour getting the calf in place to pull. Her husband basically held the tail and handed her whatever she needed (lube, chains, etc); she did all the hard work.IMG_20230512_173558526.jpg

A good lady vet and teacher at a vet school was the best vet i ever had on my farm. She married and moved away so its not handy to use her anymore but i still ask her for advice.

We had a female vet that worked out of the one office and she was good at everything except palpation preg checking.... before they did much ultrasound in the field... and she readily admitted it.....but she could sure work on other problems, and could diagnose things like pneumonia and such when others were still himming and hawing..... caught things quick when we had bought calves just looking "off"....did real good on any type of surgeries, DA's etc..

Most hands will tell you some of the best cowboys they know are cowgirls. I know that I know a few. I have and do use several female vets and they are every bit as good as any of their male counterparts.

I got screwed over by a spiteful woman, my first wife !!!
Our vet Dr Kelly is a woman, and I think she's the best vet we've ever had at a ranch.
In addition she helped save one of our horses and I can never thank her enough for that.

Most hands will tell you some of the best cowboys they know are cowgirls. I know that I know a few. I have and do use several female vets and they are every bit as good as any of their male counterparts.
There are some real deal handy cowboys here who happen to be female.

Thanks @TCRanch ... I will see about getting it. Read Driving Home Naked and it was pretty good... very realistic...
I still have a special place for the James Herriot books... there is another vet book... gotta find it.. written by a Jewish vet... it was funny... Same theme...

Men and women are different and the needs of a large animal veterinary practice isn't women's work.
Nope. Wrong.
My wife is also a veterinarian, and even though I'm 66, I grew up with a whole lot of female veterinary students and female veterinarian colleagues. There is very little that a male veterinarian can do that a female can't... and in most cases, if the woman can't do it, the guy probably shouldn't be doing it either... that's how we get hurt. Or killed.

Did I have greater arm/upper body strength than her? Yeah, but she was faster, more agile, and had longer arms. She was better at palpating mares (I could never find anything in there unless I just ran into a big ol' foal), I was better on cows. If I could reach a fetal body part, I could usually pull it into position for delivery. Her smaller, longer arms made for greater reach - especially when delivering piglets, lambs, kids. The list goes on and on. It didn't take long to convince the old farts in our practice area that she could do anything that needed to be done; quite a few producers even preferred her over me or our male employer.

Since women have occupied 80+% of veterinary school slots for the past 25+ years, if you're waiting around for a man to show up... you may be waiting a while.

Last edited:
Couple more entertaining veterinary tales books to consider:
"Watch for a Cloud of Dust I & II" by Dr. John McCormack
"All My Patients Are Under the Bed" by Dr. Louis Camuti
And... if you can find any compilations of Robert M. Miller's cartoons, like 'Who Has the 9:30 Appointment?" they're good for a bunch of laughs.

Latest posts