Going home

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a neighbor around 70 at the time planted his corn, over a 100 acres, had 5 bypasses and a heart valve replaced. That fall he ran the tractor pulling the chopper/harvester. He just recently passed at 85. It sure did not slow him down. He also fed around 700 steers annually with one helper.

Some people are just tough. Have a friend who's grampa took all the seats off his tractors so all his helpers had to stand all day while using them.

Some people are just tough. Have a friend who's grampa took all the seats off his tractors so all his helpers had to stand all day while using them.
I came very close to getting thrown over onto the hood of a tractor when the leading edge of a bushog hit a stump and I was standing up...

So back around the first of November I had a episode where I passed out for several minutes. I was in a remote area ,by myself and nobody really knew exactly where I was. I was lucky enough to wake up and be able to get to my phone and call my wife and tell her who to call that would know my exact location. She was about 30 minutes away and got there in 20. I got really lucky I woke up that day. I also got lucky by somehow making the decision to bypass my doctor (the idiot) and making my own appointment with a cardiologist. And stumping my toe and falling in the door of the most renowned cardio team in central Texas.
9 days ago they opened me up and replaced a defective (from birth) aortic valve. There was concerns about a possible electrical problem due to my main symptom. Passing out with no pain or shortness of breath. ( Sudden death)
After the valve replacement my heart wouldn't pace correctly and I was on a external pacemaker. Around day 3 a battery change on the pacemaker lead to a failure to pace. I passed out and it took several minutes to get things started back up. I'll never forget hearing my wife screaming my name as I came back.
The next day I was back in surgery having a pacemaker installed.
Going home today. My boys my wife and my employees have been great. We may be a crude and rough bunch but give us a fight and we always seem to end up on top.
Thank you @greybeard for taking the time to mentor

@Named'em Tamed'em ...I while back you said. "If you think something is wrong get it checked out". That's life saving advice.
Glad you came out on top of this one. That's one of the scariest scenarios I have heard in a long time! I just went through the gauntlet with a cardiologist myself after an episode of very low heart rate combined with cold sweats and nausea. Halter monitor, CT Calcium score, Echocardiogram, Stress test, full CT Scan. My whole family has low heart rate and my brother just had a pacemaker installed. My cardiologist said no pacemaker, at least for now. Whatever my problem was, he assured me, it wasn't my heart. Probably Vertigo.

So back around the first of November I had a episode where I passed out for several minutes. I was in a remote area ,by myself and nobody really knew exactly where I was. I was lucky enough to wake up and be able to get to my phone and call my wife and tell her who to call that would know my exact location. She was about 30 minutes away and got there in 20. I got really lucky I woke up that day. I also got lucky by somehow making the decision to bypass my doctor (the idiot) and making my own appointment with a cardiologist. And stumping my toe and falling in the door of the most renowned cardio team in central Texas.
9 days ago they opened me up and replaced a defective (from birth) aortic valve. There was concerns about a possible electrical problem due to my main symptom. Passing out with no pain or shortness of breath. ( Sudden death)
After the valve replacement my heart wouldn't pace correctly and I was on a external pacemaker. Around day 3 a battery change on the pacemaker lead to a failure to pace. I passed out and it took several minutes to get things started back up. I'll never forget hearing my wife screaming my name as I came back.
Going home today. My boys my wife and my employees have been great. We may be a crude and rough bunch but give us a fight and we always seem to end up on top.

@Named'em Tamed'em ...I while back you said. "If you think something is wrong get it checked out". That's life saving advice.
Glad to hear you survived that. Our days are numbered from the beginning,we just don't have the knowledge when that is. God Bless you.

Fence you may or may not know when I turned 30 in 2010 I had a fib I completely understand. Im on daily medication. If you have a pacemaker are you able to weld? I am glad you're still with us. Trust me do what the drs say.

Fence you may or may not know when I turned 30 in 2010 I had a fib I completely understand. Im on daily medication. If you have a pacemaker are you able to weld? I am glad you're still with us. Trust me do what the drs say.
When the dust settles I'm gonna look into it more. Pacemakers have been improved.
But in all honesty I think my welding days are over. I had my worst night in the ICU over it. Might have even cried a little over it. (Prolly just the drugs though) my youngest does 90 percent of our welding these days and I haven't had a welder full-time mounted on my truck in years so we'll be ok.
Chisholm came upstairs to see me yesterday when I got home. I told him my welding days are probably over.
He says" don't worry I got you" . Then he takes a big dip of snuff , spits in my trashcan by my desk and says....you weren't no f#$cking good at it anyways......
I love that boy....lol

Last edited:

81 now, pacemaker for last 10 years. They're good things. Listen to Doctors, eat well and don't overwork.
Best to you.

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery. I spent a lot of time reading and learning from your posts, thanks for that. Sounds like you have family and employees that can run with the ball now; let them. If welding is not in your future, it seems like a small concession. Good luck.
Bob

I'm glad you're doing better. That is a terrifying story.

I'm "an adult pediatric cardiology patient" meaning that my repair at 5 mos. makes me weirder than most. I have an appointment Friday with a person that specializes in that, and I'm kind of on pins and needles. I'll be 40, only had one surgery, but it's always in the back of my mind that I'll end up with something unexpected during the exam.

I'm glad you're doing better. That is a terrifying story.

I'm "an adult pediatric cardiology patient" meaning that my repair at 5 mos. makes me weirder than most. I have an appointment Friday with a person that specializes in that, and I'm kind of on pins and needles. I'll be 40, only had one surgery, but it's always in the back of my mind that I'll end up with something unexpected during the exam.
40 is the number (in Ivrit) for water, which we all have to pass through to get here. (The story of the Sea of Reeds is emblematic of this)
So with the 40 within your grasp I would encourage the reading of the 'Operators Manuel' for assurance of an even better next 40 years.
Bless your works of good will! LVR

Glad your still here Fence. To echo what other's have said, the forum wouldn't be the same and I'm sure your family is wanting you to hang around awhile longer.

Latest posts