Going home

Help Support CattleToday:

nice to hear that things worked out for you. some people take a good look at things that they have put off for a later date and realize that a later date is not always there. hope you can take the time a do things that you have been wanting to do but just haven't done them yet. good luck

Kinda know the feeling, in December 2015 I went in for hernia surgery and had a massive heart attack after the surgery and before I woke up. They operated on me and I never even knew it. Woke up with all the tunes in me wondering why. But not a bit of trouble since. Get straightened up and get back to work. Haha

Glad to hear you got back home. Hospitals are not fun. Take some down time now, do what your cardio folks tell you.
A couple of things.
You will probably be on blood thinners for at least awhile. Be careful when you get back to doing what you used to. The chances of getting cut and bleeding to death is very slim but little cuts, abrasions and even brier punctures that you never paid attention to before are gonna look like crap. The big risk, is infection.
This was just from a little fence repair job I did or cleaning brush off a fenceline. The purple splotches farther up my forearm are from little scrapes I got the week before. bloodyhand.jpghand dec14.jpg
The next day or 2...
You get used to it, just carry a big box of band aids with ya and maybe some antiseptic.. You're probably just gonna have 'old folks skin' now, but maybe not since you are a lot younger than I am..

From my personal experiences-Your cardiologist is now your #1 doctor. DON'T, let a primary care physician do anything without your cardiologist giving their ok. PCPs tend to want to takeover everything, including changing cardio related prescriptions.

Was glad to share my experience Fenceman. Just a small re-payment for all the dozens and dozens of times you've 'mentored' all of us in fencework.
Now, heal up and get back to work ya lazy malingerer...

Last edited:
With the pacemaker be careful around these items................................

It is safe to use these items so long as you don't place them directly over your pacemaker:

• Cordless (household) telephones
  • Electric razors
  • Hand-held massagers
  • Portable MP3 and multimedia players (such as iPods®) that do not also function as a cellular phone
    NOTE: While portable MP3 players should not interfere with your pacemaker, the headphones or earbuds should be stored at least 6 inches (15 cm) away from your pacemaker. You should avoid draping the headphones around your neck.

Keep at least 6 inches (15 cm) away from your pacemaker:
  • Cellular phones, including PDAs and portable MP3 players with integrated cellular phones
  • Devices transmitting Bluetooth® or Wi-Fi signals (cell phones, wireless Internet routers, etc.)
  • Headphones and earbuds
    NOTE: It's safe to use headphones and earbuds. But you should not drape them around your neck or store them in a breast or other shirt pocket.
  • Magnetic wands used in the game of Bingo
Keep at least 12 inches (30 cm) away from your pacemaker:

• Battery-powered cordless power tools
  • Chainsaws
  • Corded drills and power tools
  • Lawn mowers
  • Leaf blowers
  • Remote controls with antennas
  • Shop tools (drills, table saws, etc.)
  • Slot machines
  • Snow blowers
  • Stereo speakers
Keep at least 24 inches (60 cm) away from your pacemaker:

• Arc welders
  • CB and police radio antennas
  • Running motors and alternators, especially those in vehicles
    NOTE: Avoid leaning over running motors and alternators of a running vehicle. Alternators create large magnetic fields that can affect your pacemaker. However, when you are driving or riding you are at a safe distance.
These items are not safe to use if you have a pacemaker:
  • Body-fat measuring scales
  • Jackhammers
  • Magnetic mattresses and chairs
  • Stun guns

Glad to hear you got back home. Hospitals are not fun. Take some down time now, do what your cardio folks tell you.
A couple of things.
You will probably be on blood thinners for at least awhile. Be careful when you get back to doing what you used to. The chances of getting cut and bleeding to death is very slim but little cuts, abrasions and even brier punctures that you never paid attention to before are gonna look like crap. The big risk, is infection.
This was just from a little fence repair job I did or cleaning brush off a fenceline. The purple splotches farther up my forearm are from little scrapes I got the week before. View attachment 12653View attachment 12658
The next day or 2...
You get used to it, just carry a big box of band aids with ya and maybe some antiseptic..

From my personal experiences-Your cardiologist is now your #1 doctor. DON'T, let a primary care physician do anything without your cardiologist giving their ok. PCPs tend to want to takeover everything, including changing cardio related prescriptions.

Was glad to share my experience Fenceman. Just a small re-payment for all the dozens and dozens of times you've 'mentored' all of us in fencework.
Now, heal up and get back to work ya lazy malingerer...
No idea if you take Vitamin E but if you do you may want to cut back as it will lead to bleeding with the slightest abrasion.
Gloves ?

So back around the first of November I had a episode where I passed out for several minutes. I was in a remote area ,by myself and nobody really knew exactly where I was. I was lucky enough to wake up and be able to get to my phone and call my wife and tell her who to call that would know my exact location. She was about 30 minutes away and got there in 20. I got really lucky I woke up that day. I also got lucky by somehow making the decision to bypass my doctor (the idiot) and making my own appointment with a cardiologist. And stumping my toe and falling in the door of the most renowned cardio team in central Texas.
9 days ago they opened me up and replaced a defective (from birth) aortic valve. There was concerns about a possible electrical problem due to my main symptom. Passing out with no pain or shortness of breath. ( Sudden death)
After the valve replacement my heart wouldn't pace correctly and I was on a external pacemaker. Around day 3 a battery change on the pacemaker lead to a failure to pace. I passed out and it took several minutes to get things started back up. I'll never forget hearing my wife screaming my name as I came back.
The next day I was back in surgery having a pacemaker installed.
Going home today. My boys my wife and my employees have been great. We may be a crude and rough bunch but give us a fight and we always seem to end up on top.
Thank you @greybeard for taking the time to mentor

@Named'em Tamed'em ...I while back you said. "If you think something is wrong get it checked out". That's life saving advice.
that's kind of a rough way to take a few days off, man.

Wow Fence, sounds like the Big Fella only just missed you with his crook to pull you off the playing field. It can be a bit of a worry with me if anything happens in some of the remote inaccessible places that I work in sometime, I just hope that my dogs might do the "Lassie" thing and bring someone back to help me or recover the body. Just as well you have that bit of "mongrel" in you that makes you a bit tougher. Keep recovering old fella.

Ken

With the pacemaker be careful around these items................................

It is safe to use these items so long as you don't place them directly over your pacemaker:

• Cordless (household) telephones
  • Electric razors
  • Hand-held massagers
  • Portable MP3 and multimedia players (such as iPods®) that do not also function as a cellular phone
    NOTE: While portable MP3 players should not interfere with your pacemaker, the headphones or earbuds should be stored at least 6 inches (15 cm) away from your pacemaker. You should avoid draping the headphones around your neck.

Keep at least 6 inches (15 cm) away from your pacemaker:
  • Cellular phones, including PDAs and portable MP3 players with integrated cellular phones
  • Devices transmitting Bluetooth® or Wi-Fi signals (cell phones, wireless Internet routers, etc.)
  • Headphones and earbuds
    NOTE: It's safe to use headphones and earbuds. But you should not drape them around your neck or store them in a breast or other shirt pocket.
  • Magnetic wands used in the game of Bingo
Keep at least 12 inches (30 cm) away from your pacemaker:

• Battery-powered cordless power tools
  • Chainsaws
  • Corded drills and power tools
  • Lawn mowers
  • Leaf blowers
  • Remote controls with antennas
  • Shop tools (drills, table saws, etc.)
  • Slot machines
  • Snow blowers
  • Stereo speakers
Keep at least 24 inches (60 cm) away from your pacemaker:

• Arc welders
  • CB and police radio antennas
  • Running motors and alternators, especially those in vehicles
    NOTE: Avoid leaning over running motors and alternators of a running vehicle. Alternators create large magnetic fields that can affect your pacemaker. However, when you are driving or riding you are at a safe distance.
These items are not safe to use if you have a pacemaker:
  • Body-fat measuring scales
  • Jackhammers
  • Magnetic mattresses and chairs
  • Stun guns

If you follow all those suggestions you may want to buy a bigger TV an just lay around, retired!!

Hope you continue to get better. Hardest part for you is probably going to be no more welding. Don't mess around with that. Sounds like a good time to transition to full time hay farmer. Best of luck no matter what you get into.

If you follow all those suggestions you may want to buy a bigger TV an just lay around, retired!!
Had a neighbor around 70 at the time planted his corn, over a 100 acres, had 5 bypasses and a heart valve replaced. That fall he ran the tractor pulling the chopper/harvester. He just recently passed at 85. It sure did not slow him down. He also fed around 700 steers annually with one helper.

Last edited: