My Home

Help Support CattleToday:

This is just out the ridge from my house, taken a few Octobers ago when I had Red Poll cattle. My youngest daughter was married at the point of this ridge, overlooking Sugar Creek below.

No, not a lot of altitude. That ridge is about 900 ft above sea level and most of the surrounding Bluegrass plateau is about 1100 feet.
What makes it dramatic is the deep gorge Sugar Creek cut as it neared Kentucky River.
Our soil is based on a siltstone found nowhere else in the world and was once prized for growing the highest quality burley tobacco in the world.
Today it is mostly in grass and produces hay and cattle.

That is some very good farmland in the area where Logan is. We were probably close to him a few weeks ago maybe a county or two south but very nice country. My wife made the comment that it would be a beautiful place to live. On the subject of altitude, we are about to the easternmost part of the bluegrass region, close to the next county over that is considered to be a mountain county.
Our home is almost to the highest elevation in our county at 1120'. The actual highest point was once part of the original family land.
Our region actually has a higher elevation than some of the places in the mountain counties.
The highest elevations in KY are in the far southeast portion of the state Black Mountain is the highest point at 4140'.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the nice comments. The picture was taken by my daughter who has an artistic flair that I lack. She has a flickr account that I go to sometimes just to watch the years unfold. It is a joy to see old dogs and cattle from years ago,
To be honest my farm is a little rough and steep, but good land on the ridges. Over 51 years spent sweating or shivering on the same piece of ground makes it a part of me, or I a part of it.
Best wishes to all the good folk here on this forum.

That is some very good farmland in the area where Logan is. We were probably close to him a few weeks ago maybe a county or two south but very nice country. My wife made the comment that it would be a beautiful place to live. On the subject of altitude, we are about to the easternmost part of the bluegrass region, close to the next county over that is considered to be a mountain county.
Our home is almost to the highest elevation in our county at 1120'. The actual highest point was once part of the original family land.
Our region actually has a higher elevation than some of the places in the mountain counties.
The highest elevations in KY are in the far southeast portion of the state Black Mountain is the highest point at 4140'.
I can see that highest point in Ky from my farm. There is an FAA radar that looks like a giant golfball up there also. Have always been told that it controls all air traffic on the east coast.