metal detecting advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I have a cheaper model. It's an ACE 250. It does discriminate, as well as a cheap one can, but I have gotten pretty good at knowing when to dig and when to stop. I bought it for pleasure mostly, thinking it would be fun to do with my kids. It paid for itself the first day we all went out and "played" with it (not in dollars, but in fun).
I have 3 old home sites on my place. The structures are all gone, and all that remains are crude remnants of foundations, hand dug wells, flowers, garlic.......
A few weeks ago, I was messing around at one of these places, and right next to the largest tree on the place I got a faint indication. My cheaper detector told me it was silver, dollar size, and 8+ inches deep. I dug a big enough diameter hole so I could fit the detector down in it, and the signal is very strong, consistant, and says silver dollar. Problem is, whatever it is, appears to have been engulfed in the root system of the tree. I did find shards of glass about a foot down. This is an old walnut tree almost 3 feet diameter, and the root where I'm getting the indication is a foot diameter. I hate for silver fever to take hold and damage this tree, and I've dug plenty of trash thinking I found silver. I also find it hard to believe that someone would have left something buried, but stranger things have happened. This land was patented/homesteaded in 1909, and the people lived there until 1930. No one has lived here until I bought the place in 1996.
Any suggestions on how to better determine what might be there, in a non-destructive way. Suggestions on specific type/brand of a better discriminating detector.

I would see if I could borrow / rent one of those high dollar units that thave the computer screen on it that highly discriminates and gives you an accurate reading on exactly how deep something is. One tip on old houses.......folks back in the day, especially in old wood houses, would hide money away in the stone structure of the fireplace or chimney. If their house burned down, which was common back then, their money or gold would be safe. My uncle by marriage found a quart jar full of gold german coins behind a loose block in the hearth of an old fireplace. The foundation and hearth was all that was left standing of the house. I love treasure hunting. Me and a buddy search a civil war camp off and on. We have found parts of guns, bayonets, bullets, wedding ring, buttons and buckles and a million horse shoes.

Many people would bury their money next to a tree too. I would love to have a metal detector. I can see where it would be fun.

Seems all I find if rusty nails, beer pull tabs and and a few 22 shells.....I went down to the location of an old football field a couple years ago and found 85 cents. :lol: A lot of fun tho and something to do when you're bored.

Thanks for the advice Hoss.
I've never found anything of value at this particular home site. But at one of the others, there was/is a developed spring, and I have found 2 pennies and a merc dime down under the water. I think that over, in my pea brain, imagining a man leaning down to scoop a bucket of water, and losing a coin out of his bibbs. But then I also recall hearing that way back then some folks would put a silver coin in a jug of milk to keep it fresh longer. Maybe some people pitched a dime in their spring????
Most valuable thing I ever found was a 1958 quarter over at the lake near my place. The lake was built in 58'. The oldest coin I've found was 1898 indian head penny. My kids were with me, and my then 8 year old dug it up and informed me they got the "eighteen" wrong cause they put the "nine" in the wrong place. It took a little explaining for her to realize she was holding a coin that was minted before the hogs ate grandma. They were all hooked after that find.

Last year during the drought when the big lakes were all so low it was amazing how much stuff was found. A lot of jewelry, long lost class rings, money, guns....you name it....

Ouachita":2aizszb0 said:
I have a cheaper model. It's an ACE 250. It does discriminate, as well as a cheap one can, but I have gotten pretty good at knowing when to dig and when to stop. I bought it for pleasure mostly, thinking it would be fun to do with my kids. It paid for itself the first day we all went out and "played" with it (not in dollars, but in fun).
I have 3 old home sites on my place. The structures are all gone, and all that remains are crude remnants of foundations, hand dug wells, flowers, garlic.......
A few weeks ago, I was messing around at one of these places, and right next to the largest tree on the place I got a faint indication. My cheaper detector told me it was silver, dollar size, and 8+ inches deep. I dug a big enough diameter hole so I could fit the detector down in it, and the signal is very strong, consistant, and says silver dollar. Problem is, whatever it is, appears to have been engulfed in the root system of the tree. I did find shards of glass about a foot down. This is an old walnut tree almost 3 feet diameter, and the root where I'm getting the indication is a foot diameter. I hate for silver fever to take hold and damage this tree, and I've dug plenty of trash thinking I found silver. I also find it hard to believe that someone would have left something buried, but stranger things have happened. This land was patented/homesteaded in 1909, and the people lived there until 1930. No one has lived here until I bought the place in 1996.
Any suggestions on how to better determine what might be there, in a non-destructive way. Suggestions on specific type/brand of a better discriminating detector.

I have the Garrett Master Hunter and have used it for many years using it like you are. Depending on just how motivated you are, I would dig the other side of the root also, using a large spoon and your digging knife, and get under it as well. Information is king in these types of digs. Poor folks wouldn't likely hide or drop a higher denomination coin and its very true that something other than Silver can still indicate Silver on your readout. You might also try dumping a cup or two of water over that spot, give it a few minutes and re-dedect the spot. Moisture often helps to get better readouts. Good hunting!

I have been following this post with interest. I recently bought a white coinmaster pro and have yet to find a coin with it :? . But have only had it for a month or so. I did find a couple of old cast Iron toy cars from I would guess the early 60's around an old house on our property, 1942 edition. But mostly pop cans, pull tabs, a fishing weight, etc. But it's lots of fun when I'm bored or killing time filling water troughs.

I wish I could be help on your issue with the walnut tree root but, looking forward to the out come and what you find.

Good luck,
Alan

Alan":39zo3z9v said:
I have been following this post with interest. I recently bought a white coinmaster pro and have yet to find a coin with it :? . But have only had it for a month or so. I did find a couple of old cast Iron toy cars from I would guess the early 60's around an old house on our property, 1942 edition. But mostly pop cans, pull tabs, a fishing weight, etc. But it's lots of fun when I'm bored or killing time filling water troughs.

I wish I could be help on your issue with the walnut tree root but, looking forward to the out come and what you find.

Good luck,
Alan

Allen if your "treasure hunting" get slow or boring go and visit the cemetary. You should get some good loud hits over there. :lol: :lol2: :lol:

Latest posts