Starting pepper seeds advice.

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
My garden has been getting progressively better each year but I always end up buying most of my tomatoes and peppers already started from the Amish up the road. This is a great way to do it but the selection of hot peppers is limited and I have become a bit of a salsa making addict. Ive been able to get some super hot scorpion and ghost peppers through a friend, but this year I got seeds through the mail from Pepper Joe's.

I started them 9 days ago in jiffy peat pellets per directions and about 20% have sprouted. They have a heat mat under them and soil temp is 85f. Pretty much one of every variety is sprouted.

This is where I usually have problems starting seeds. They are under a window and I have had the top about 90% blocked from sunlight. I just propped the lid up about 1/2" and left the heat mat on. The peat still has decent moisture. Am I doing this right?

Should I water them yet? Anything I should do different?

They could use the light. Most of those peats looked pretty dry. You should "water" them regularly. I'd use something small, to make sure the peat/dirt is good and wet, but not sopping. A turkey baster, 20-CC syringe, along those lines.

Good set up you have there. :)

Workinonit Farm":2uugigs7 said:
They could use the light. Most of those peats looked pretty dry. You should "water" them regularly. I'd use something small, to make sure the peat/dirt is good and wet, but not sopping. A turkey baster, 20-CC syringe, along those lines.

Should I water with warm water? How about a spray bottle with warm water ?

ohiosteve":1jj4ppk6 said:
Workinonit Farm":1jj4ppk6 said:

Should I water with warm water? How about a spray bottle with warm water ?
That should work fine. I'd use room temperature water. Make sure that the soil gets good and moist, to give the roots some water.

Mention your needs to the greenhouse and they could start you some. I help a friend with his nursery and green house and we grow dozens of ''hot'' varieties. Those and numerous heirloom tomatoes are huge sellers. Watch the light closely and do not let them stretch. You should start decreasing the bottom heat and let them acclimate to there environment. We usually only use bottom heat until they germinate. We transplant into 4 inch square containers after they are a couple of inches tall.

Never done germinating pepper seed since childhood at home for garden. From
what I see and research thru websites, there's lots variability in germination times
for peppers depending on variety. Some early as 9 days, some up to 3 weeks. Maybe
You just being too anxious/worried.
W. Lamar Parmer

Thanks for all the advice, I would say almost half of the pods have sprouted. I moved some tomatoes I started after the peppers next to the peppers and they are sharing a heat mat. I am scared to shut off the heat mat. The soil temp is below 70 on the plants not over the mat but 72-75 on the plants over the mat. I am thinking I will leave the clear cover off tonight. My question is when to cut out the weaker plant. I put 2-3 seeds in each pod. Is it too early to cut out the weaker one?

Latest posts