Hospitals will have to post prices online starting January 1

Help Support CattleToday:

I think this is really going to drive the prices down. Of course, insurances will still have preferences as to where we're treated, but this will allow patients to say "But it's less expensive here and the quality of care is the same." Like you say, too, this is going to really be a benefit for the uninsured.

Even though it will only be their jacked up "List" price like a car dealer, it does seem to be a step in the right direction.
I know when I tried to get some price quotes a few years ago the process was worse than pulling teeth.

I use this example a lot because it sorta floored me when it happened. This was the second year of Obamacare and the wife and I decided to not enroll and stick funds back just in case. I need a CT and so I started shopping around. The least I found was a hair over $400.00 cash price so that's where I went. When I was paying they gave me a receipt where one amount on it was over $1600. I asked the cashier about it and was told that's what they would have billed insurance had I had it. And, if I had insurance they would have wanted all the $1600 if my deductible hadn't been reached. Yes, posted prices would have helped in that situation.

slick4591":3v1iwisu said:
I use this example a lot because it sorta floored me when it happened. This was the second year of Obamacare and the wife and I decided to not enroll and stick funds back just in case. I need a CT and so I started shopping around. The least I found was a hair over $400.00 cash price so that's where I went. When I was paying they gave me a receipt where one amount on it was over $1600. I asked the cashier about it and was told that's what they would have billed insurance had I had it. And, if I had insurance they would have wanted all the $1600 if my deductible hadn't been reached. Yes, posted prices would have helped in that situation.

yea.. somehow i pay around 1100/m for insurance but I pay cash for everything.. awesome :roll:

Two hospitals are closing around here (one in Morristown TN and one in Knoxville TN) and I am sure a few more, especially in Wise county as they have three.

Everything else has a price upfront, so hospitals should too. I can't believe the deal going to the ER with good insurance and having to pay up front before they will treat you. I had that happen to me as they wanted $1400 cash right then. I ask the business department if everybody had to pay up front and they said as long as they were still breathing they paid.

PROBLEM IS THESE DAYS most DOCTORS ARE TIED TO HOSpitals....
if you change hospitals you might have to change doctors...
new doctor will want to redo all of the screening tests ....
insurance won't pay for the same test twice....
this medical stuff is a real legitimate racket...

Latest posts