Longhorn Skull & Horns Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

One of my old cows died she was 22yrs old , I cut her horns off.
I just didn't have the heart to cut her head off..
So it has the bone still inside the horn sheath,
What do I do now ?
Do I just hang them upside down with the points up in hopes that the bone will slip out in time ?
TIA

Hmmm I was hoping someone would give some help...
The horns have been hanging tied to a tree .
Thank Goodness the bears have been leaving them alone,
Nothing has chewed on them as well..
I hope the bone falls out soon..
That Shull I have as my avatar Hangs in my living room.
I collect skulls.. Of all critters..
Just my best one hang in the house.
I found that one on my farm.. Not long after we moved here..

I think it will eventually slide off the bone. I would bring it in, keep them away from critters.

One of my old cows died she was 22yrs old , I cut her horns off.
I just didn't have the heart to cut her head off..
So it has the bone still inside the horn sheath,
What do I do now ?
Do I just hang them upside down with the points up in hopes that the bone will slip out in time ?
TIA
Soak them in a bucket of water for a few hours or overnight, then put them in a garbage bag and tie it shut. If they're really dried out you may want to try drilling a couple holes up through the core before putting in the bag. You want water inside the sheaths. Then just let it sit outside. The warmer it is the faster they'll come off. Check after a week, if not ready give them another week. Once they're ready the cores will pull right out. If you need something to grab onto, drill a screw part way in the core.

I collect skulls.. Of all critters..
I use them as yard art with succulents in the eye sockets, mouth, etc. I found a legit alligator head at an antique store, painted some of the teeth deep red and stuck an antler shed in its mouth. Maybe a little twisted, but makes me laugh every time I see it😁

Thak you , I have painted many skulls , I did a whole line of sheep fertility skulls , for the sheep farmers in Blue Grass Va .. We have many horns around the house as well..
Most were hand me downs.. I'll snag a few pic when I get some time

Latest posts