Alabama longhorn sets Guinness World Record

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://wtvr.com/2019/06/17/alabama-longhorn-sets-guinness-world-record/
poncho-horns-header_tcm25-577240.jpg

poncho-with-pope-family_tcm25-577233.jpg

A seven-year-old Texas longhorn from Alabama, USA, has earned a place in the record books thanks to his humongous horns.

From tip to tip, the rack of Poncho Via spans 323.74 cm (10 ft 7.4 in) – more than twice the width of a concert grand piano – as confirmed on 8 May 2019.

It means that this superlative steer not only possesses the largest horn spread on a living steer, but has blown all past contenders out of the water to claim the record for largest horn spread on a steer ever too.

How would you ever work that cow if the need arises? My wife has a small Longhorn herd, and they can be a real pain in the a#@ if you ever need to do anything with them... A few years ago we had to pull a calf from one and it took two people on horseback with ropes and about three people restraining the dang thing just so we could help.

TN Cattle Man said:
How would you ever work that cow if the need arises? My wife has a small Longhorn herd, and they can be a real pain in the a#@ if you ever need to do anything with them... A few years ago we had to pull a calf from one and it took two people on horseback with ropes and about three people restraining the dang thing just so we could help.

He's a steer.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TN Cattle Man said:

He's a steer.
I know that!! You still have to treat steers... especially one who is 7 years old and you plan on keeping as a pet!! My first reaction when I read this post was, Wow... they should have kept him intact! There would probably be a big demand for his service considering the genetics he has for horn growth!

TN Cattle Man said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
TN Cattle Man said:

He's a steer.
they should have kept him intact! There would probably be a big demand for his service considering the genetics he has for horn growth!
thats the thing with those type you never know..his earlier years might have been spent spinning at the end of a rope. No thought about his future potential...

TN Cattle Man said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
TN Cattle Man said:

He's a steer.
I know that!! You still have to treat steers... especially one who is 7 years old and you plan on keeping as a pet!! My first reaction when I read this post was, Wow... they should have kept him intact! There would probably be a big demand for his service considering the genetics he has for horn growth!

If the interest is there, they can clone him and keep the resulting offspring a bull,and then sell semen on the sucker. But I doubt there is much money in that endevor.

When Poncho finally passes on I bet that set of horns will sell good. They will probably grow some more between that time.

ALACOWMAN said:
Just wonder if he could pass that trait on, are is he just a anomaly...

The good thing is that you've got at least a couple years to sell semen before anyone knows for sure. :D

His horns are too wide to even put on the grill of a cadillac. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ... Nice even set though. Sure you can't eat the horns, but something to be proud of making into the guinness book. Congrats to them.

I wonder if they quickly develop a feel for where they can and cannot fit? If something spooked and chased him into the woods, he'd break his neck.

herofan said:
I wonder if they quickly develop a feel for where they can and cannot fit? If something spooked and chased him into the woods, he'd break his neck.

I don't think he'd be RUNNING anywhere

Latest posts