Life Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

I never was one to take much advice. If I had of I probably would be broke today.

I will listen to most anything anyone has to say. In the end whatever I decide to do in life and how it turns out. I am the one who gets credit for it. Good or bad.

So i would say each and everyone of us is responsible for how their life turns out regardless of any advice they should decide to listen to including what i am saying.

I have 3 brothers & 3 sisters all colleges graduates. We were all expected to go to college.

All did except me. Finished high school, went to trade school, couple semesters of college.

Decided that was a waste of time & money. Which for me it was. One brother just retired as a nuclear engineer, another brother a Forest ranger, one brother and sister are computer programmers. One sister has a degree in business, one is a school teacher. They all had at a minimum 4 year degree' s.

I have made it through life with as much wealth as the rest of them including the engineer.

Education or going to college to get that education is a business. A roll of toilet paper would be of more benifit than alot of the degrees that you can go to college and get this day and time. Like becomeing a surgeon verses becoming a door to door sales man which i would bet they have a degree to fit that job. I am tring to point out that i would think a surgeon would make alot better living than going door to door saling stuff. Maybe I am wrong about that but I think you get my point.

I am not saying going to college is a bad thing. I just think it's all about the degree your seeking is going to determine how much it is going to benefit you in life.

Some cultures and country's put more value in common sense than education. I myself feel that way.

The reason i am using education as an example is because that seems like one of the things that so many kids rely on to help make them be successful in life.

It does for some but percentage wise. I would bet well over 50 % of college graduates end up making less money in the job market than someone without a college degree. And have a huge student loan that most of them end up defaulting on. Simply because they thought getting the college degree would be their ticket to easy street through life.

College's are money making businesses. I know of a college instructor whom I graduated high school with. How he made it to the forth grade beats me.

I and everyone that went to school with him knew he was lucky to ocassionly make a D on his report card. That was the highest grade he would
make. Most were F's.

Not only did he graduate high school with thoes grades. He is now teaching college courses at a local college. He was into drugs in high school, all the way through life and to this day is a big time druggie !!!

College 20-30 years ago was a sound investment. You were pretty much guaranteed a higher income, even if your degree was not relevant to your career, and you could easily put yourself through school with minimal debt.

Now that tuition is so high, I'm not so sure. The added income is pretty much null if you are paying off a mortgage sized student loan for 15-30 years.

Further, many jobs that require a degree don't even pay that well, and a high percentage of college educated workers has created a barrier of entry. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I have a degree in Automotive, and 1/3rd of a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I would like to go back, but $500 per credit hour is just out of the question right now. Not when a lot of engineering positions start at $50k, where you can find them.

Very true. We have no debt, but financed the big tractor (probably 10 years ago?) because it was 0% interest for 60 months. Interest rates on the money market accounts were pitifully low, but we still came out ahead.
Yes . Anytime money is free you take it. Very often is on equipment and quiet often on vehicles.

It's worth noting that the interest is annual.

Say you had a balance of $2000, you would pay 1/12 of the APR to carry it for a month, if it was 24%, it would cost you $40 a month to keep that balance. You would only pay 24% if you kept that balance for a year.

Where they get you is by keeping the minimum payments so low. The payment on the card above would probably only be ~$50, since $40 of is going to interest, you are hardly paying off the principle. You will pay for it 2-3 times over by the time it's all said and done, just making the minim
Yes sir. But it is a compound interest, whether stated or self created. APR can have a bit of a 'comfort' effect if not understood. Especially when not on a fixed payment like a credit card.
I also think people do not appreciate the fact that it cost the seller more for every credit card transaction. This is distributed across all buyers (we all pay the same price for X product). That surely does not seem fair.
If a person needs credit to pay for something I get it. We have all been there. But we should all have a problem paying more for someone else's convenience.
Someone posted about the ease of setting up everything on auto payment. I have been there and get it. All I can say is having NO payments sure is easier.

Life is what you make it. Some people want it all, and will do whatever it takes to get it. Some people are happy with less. Nothing wrong with either.
Very true. Sometimes that "less" may be less stuff and headache, but not less happiness.

What did you think? First time I watched it not gonna lie got little choked up.
Tremendous documentary. I lived in IA growing up. It was a terrible time. I also now have a lot of friends who grew up on farms in MN. I turned them on to it. Very sad and tough to watch. Thank you.

Latest posts