Calf Life

Help Support CattleToday:

It was entertaining. One of the boys started yelping in our final sweep. I told him the calf might do better if we didn't holler at it. Never heard another sound out of him.

I enjoyed seeing the young people make all that effort. His friends really pulled together for him. I think they all worked at the same place.

I don't think he was embarrassed. He was grateful. He did say he would listen to me next time.

I've probably told this here before, but that reminds me of a time 30-something years ago when I came upon the local constable trying to get some cows off the road. I stopped to help. He had cattle too, so knew what to do. He had gone ahead and opened the gate going into the place where they belonged and moved back so they wouldn't go past it. I was bringing them along slow. They were walking down the ditch in single file just as pretty as you please.

About that time a sheriff department car pulled up beside me with a deputy inside. Without saying a word he rolled his window down, and then turned his siren on. As you can imagine, those cattle scattered like a covey of quail.

That was the first, and so far only, time I ever cursed a law officer. He turned off the siren, rolled his window up, and drove off. He still never said a word.

Afgan refugees - resettled in Arkansas. Or covid stimulus - giving calves now due to prices and the government desire to save money. Just consider them an early Christmas gift.
Maybe check vaccine status.
THAT brings back memories! GPA Gma lived outside of Ft. Smith. 1st, Vietnamese refugees. THEN the Hare Krishnas were going to take over Arkansas. People were losing their ****. *not literally * @Lee VanRoss

When unloading at the auction I stay until my animals are tagged with the auction tag and check my copy of the intake. I put my own tags in their ears but once one broke off on the way to the auction so I made sure it was retagged at the auction and the auction number put on the animal. I don't take in very many but 2 trips ago I had to wait almost an hour because someone had brought in about 80 range goats. They all needed scrapie tags from the auction as well as being numbered and the paperwork filled out. The owner had just dropped them off and pen guys were having a real old time with them. 3 weeks later I went back with another group of animals and was told we now needed transport slips for the sheep ad goats as well as cattle. Apparently someone had dropped off a lot of animals and then complained that they were shorted in the check. I figure it had to be that load of 80+ range goats since none of them were tagged or marked. Easy to miscount when they are not tagged, are wild as sin, and all different sizes and colors. I like to make sure that my animals go in properly since years ago I was using another auction yard and got really low prices on some nice animals. I heard later that they were discovered pulling the best ones out to buy the animal themselves or sell cheap to their friends. I stopped using them. I haven't had trouble at the place I use now but I still like to take the extra trouble to make sure that my animals are listed right.

I stay until mine sell. It's amazing how much they can screw up in a 5 word description. It's also amazing how often they call males without nuts bulls.

Latest posts