Calf sex prediction

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Was reading a while back in a Bonsma group on FB about predicting the sex of a calf by how the hair lays down the back/spine of a cow in the last trimester.
Heifer = hair standing up
Bull = hair laid down

Anyone looked at this? It grabbed my interest. Was a result of the calfs hormones influencing the cow IIRC.

The cow that calved last night had hair laying down on the spine. It was indeed a bull calf. 50/50 chance of getting it right.

The one to calve the next day or two has hair standing up on her spine. That'd indicate a heifer if there's any merit to this.

I'd rather look at what they are eating, high or low protein, and access to minerals when they conceive and just before.

But let's see what happens. I'm sure others will chime in...

So I am 2 for 2 with the back hair thing. This one was a heifer.

There just might be something to it. Still within reason that I just guessed it right.
Clinch what bull are you running on those char cross cows? I have some smokies that sure make good babies, might like them better in black though

That is a pseudo Bonsma deal. If Joe Blow says it at the gas station, the next thing you know some expert gets on the Bonsma site and calls it a Bonsma deal. Better to be silent to be thought dumb than...

That is a pseudo Bonsma deal. If Joe Blow says it at the gas station, the next thing you know some expert gets on the Bonsma site and calls it a Bonsma deal. Better to be silent to be thought dumb than...
I'm not really concerned with what other think. 😃 In case ya hadn't noticed. I welcome correction. That's how I learn.

I do think I'll keep an eye on things the next calving season and keep some notes. I just find it interesting.

Last edited:
So, she didn't breed back right away? Took 15 months to have her next calf. Or did you purposely keep the breeding bull away from her?
I'm not sure what happened there. She definitely lost during second trimester if she did breed while bull was turned out. Her and another nice one calved together... very late. I recall the neighbors bull hopping over last year when there should been no need.

They calved 2 weeks before their processing appointments. The red ones calf died on day 3, so she still went to her appointment. The chocolate's calf is thriving.

Feed was short last winter, and of low quality. Maybe that was part of the problem. Everyone else calved at a 10-11 month interval.

These chocolate SimAngus I've got are my favorites. So I will give her a pass this time.

Clinch what bull are you running on those char cross cows? I have some smokies that sure make good babies, might like them better in black though
These chocolates are a Simmental black diluted/mutated gene type thing. @Jeanne - Simme Valley understsnds it much better than I.

I've been running commercial Angus bulls that my super awesome neighbor let's me borrow. He's got very nice commercial cattle and buys registered Angus bulls.

I got tired of being a bum and raised two this year while buying one from Simme also. Gonna keep homeraised lent out or beef them.

I do have 4 char cross cows that are 3/4 to 7/8 angus at this point, but are still smoke/yellow. They raise real nice calves.

I much prefer the smoke/chocolate/yellows. Got a yellow bull born last summer that I'm gonna leave intact. He's very thick. I don't plan on using the sale barn for anything but the garbage from here on out. Color doesn't matter here.

It's not really the "color" that is making those cows good - it's the genetics. Continentals just grow better. Simmental cross cows "normally" "should" outperform the Charlolais cross cows because of milk production - but all crossbreds milk better with the hybred-vigor - or "should".
The diluter gene is just a separate color gene. It is dominant over the black gene. If they inherit just 1 of the 2 possible diluter genes, black will be "diluted" - grey, chocolate, smokey, silver, mousy - you name it - diluted black. Red cattle can inherit the diluter gene, but not always visible. Most will be a "lighter" red. But I have had really light red cows tested with no diluter - and the opposite - have had blood red cows with the diluter gene. So, it is not dominant over the red gene.