California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Read today that California banned calf roping. Is this just in rodeos or how for can they take it?

I got this when I googled it.

Is California banning rodeos?

Rodeos have already been banned in many parts of California for their cruel nature. However, where they have not been banned yet, they continue to promote abuse, exploitation, and killing of innocent animals, as well as violence to the public and to a new generation.

I'm telling you people, the anti-meat agenda is getting stronger every day and doing it by promoting emotional reactions to intentionally crafted disinformation.

Where did you read that?
A guy showed me the article today. I tried to find it again but could only find were it was proposed back in February. It also has stuff in there about not using spurs on a horse. I'll see if he can send it to me.

To be honest, i dont like calf roping. Hate it. Its cruel. Serves no purpose anymore. We've ranched for over 45 years and never ever roped a calf. I understand the skill it takes, but, look at it from the forced/orphaned calf's perspective. I get no pleasure seeing a young calf being yanked down by its neck while running. Then being choked down by that rope and someone coming over, smashing its body and more on its neck while being tied, then sometimes drug around before being let loose. Its sad, just sad......

So how far does this go? I'm certainly not a rodeo cowboy, but sometimes will rope a calf that needs treating or in rare cases needs to be taken to the barn. When we had the blind calf, I roped him to get him to the SxS to take to barn. Otherwise wouldn't have got him there without even more stress on it and us.

To be honest, i dont like calf roping. Hate it. Its cruel. Serves no purpose anymore. We've ranched for over 45 years and never ever roped a calf. I understand the skill it takes, but, look at it from the forced/orphaned calf's perspective. I get no pleasure seeing a young calf being yanked down by its neck while running. Then being choked down by that rope and someone coming over, smashing its body and more on its neck while being tied, then sometimes drug around before being let loose. Its sad, just sad......
That's because you never roped and doctored one on open range..wonder which is more cruel..just letting it die ?

I think the calf has to be on a leg.
todays ropers hold their slack and flip it out to the side..to jerk the calf around where it's still on its feet,when they reach it..plus it launchs the roper strait down to it..it's speed up the run because the calf is up..so the quick times now instead of the 8s ,can now be in the 7's to 6+.now they get penalized if the jerk it down..

Last edited:
The post I saw on this wasn't the entire state it was a city or county. Calf roping was the first thing but it wasn't limited to calf roping. It went on to describe all the events in a rodeo. There is certainly some big ranch country in northern California. And some pretty big well attended rodeos.

Most of the brandings here are rope and drag to the fire. The picture on the front of the phone book sitting here on my desk is of a man riding a horse into a pen of calves swinging a rope. It is a recent picture.

Latest posts