Starting to feel old and out of place

Help Support CattleToday:

You guys sure are making me feel like a youngster and I just turned 60.

Bruno, we always got fresh tenderloin for supper after a day of killing hogs. I hate brains and souse meat though (Along with possum that is nasty meat).

My father traded my Great great grandfather's mounted calvary saber for a mule harness back in the early '50s (he just confessed this to me a few years ago when my son's Eagle Project dealt with Civil War Graves). The man he traded it too was his best friend and I asked about it and he said that the saber was long long gone. I did get an original very rare Civil War cap and ball pistol from him though along with it's entire history as a thank you for helping him recently.

My Great Grandfather was fairly well to do as a contractor building railroads with mules and owning a general store. I just paid $250 on eBay for a 5 cent tin token used as script from his general store back during the depression. It was the first one I have ever seen available since it is very rare. He was one of the first to have running water in the house he built around 1900 from a concrete rain water tank on the hill where the water was piped to the house. The tank is still in use to provide water at my barn. And I use the old mule barn to store hay in. My mother still lives in the house that he built and it is constructed of double brick walls.

I guess the point of my tome is that I don't know what will happen to the farm when I am gone because my son works in Washington and I doubt my daughter will have any interest in farming. I just hate to see 6 generations of labor and love gone after all this time.

sstterry said:

Bruno, we always got fresh tenderloin for supper after a day of killing hogs. I hate brains and souse meat though (Along with possum that is nasty meat).

My father traded my Great great grandfather's mounted calvary saber for a mule harness back in the early '50s (he just confessed this to me a few years ago when my son's Eagle Project dealt with Civil War Graves). The man he traded it too was his best friend and I asked about it and he said that the saber was long long gone. I did get an original very rare Civil War cap and ball pistol from him though along with it's entire history as a thank you for helping him recently.

My Great Grandfather was fairly well to do as a contractor building railroads with mules and owning a general store. I just paid $250 on eBay for a 5 cent tin token used as script from his general store back during the depression. It was the first one I have ever seen available since it is very rare. He was one of the first to have running water in the house he built around 1900 from a concrete rain water tank on the hill where the water was piped to the house. The tank is still in use to provide water at my barn. And I use the old mule barn to store hay in. My mother still lives in the house that he built and it is constructed of double brick walls.

I guess the point of my tome is that I don't know what will happen to the farm when I am gone because my son works in Washington and I doubt my daughter will have any interest in farming. I just hate to see 6 generations of labor and love gone after all this time.

That is a real bitter sweet post

sstterry said:

Great grandfather was very well to do as well, owned several saw mills providing ties for railroad and lumber for the early oil industry.
He was the big lizard, a Mason and Baptist. All three requirements for successful business in the day.
Texas politics had been forged by the Woodpecker Jaybird war after reconstruction. This was the principals that drove the LBJ politics. Not getting political this is history how much of the South was shaped after the war especially Texas politics for the next 80 years.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaybird–Woodpecker_War

Macon - heck, you're only 5 years older than me. I turned 72 on my vacation.
I was born & raised a "city" girl. Left R.I. when I was 19.
My daughter is 52 and we talk all the time on the phone. Occasionally, we will text one another, but mostly talk. I like talking - not texting. Texting is OK for facts, not feelings. You can't really tell what people are FEELING with a text.
I have had "head cheese" (which I liked), but not the other things you've mentioned.

sstterry said:

SSTerry, that is a similar boat to what I'm in. I'm a 7th generation farmer here in the county, this particular pieces of land have been in the family for at least several of those generations. My wife and I don't have any children as of yet, and my family is very small. My wife is from Oklahoma, and a large family, with many of them still in the southeast part of the state. I have never lived anywhere except this county, and been here on the farm all except 4 of my soon to be 44 years. Never have much thought to ever leaving but after my mother, I'm the last one in my line, and it would be nice for my wife who is some younger than me to be close to her family again. I have been thinking I could relocate at some point and try to farm there. I know I'd miss these hills but might be nice to not have to worry about going over them in the wintertime with a tractor. Overall winter might not be as bad and as long out there, and I shore do hate winter.

My mother always tells that she was born and raised down a creek. They lived about a mile down a creek, that as I understand it for a lot of years the creek was the road. Their house didn't have electric or indoor plumbing for s long time. Her grandparents had property and lived on the other side of the creek. In later years 2 of her fathers sisters lived over on the home place where their parents lived. When they finally ran electric down there the sisters got it first to that house. Mama said that her aunts turned on a light out on their porch. She said her daddy was not going to be out done so he lit his lantern and hung it up outside.

Latest posts